Why become a member? ×

Amp modeller - what neutral amp and cab?

la bam

Im sure others have thought of this before, but with amp modellers now becoming very good to be honest - the likes seen on several multi effects boxes - theres a lot of flexibiity to have several amp sounds at our fingertips rather than just one 'brand' with its own sound.

Given that, if you did want to go down that route, what power amp would you buy (i suppose it would need a rich but neutral sound so as not to colour the amp models) and what speaker or speakers would you put with it?

Would even 1 active cab (made for PA) work? and would a 12" be good enough?

I gig without an amp at all. I just get the soundman to put loads of bass in my monitor, so a decent wedge will do. There's one local venue with smaller monitors and he prefers me to bring an amp (which I have no problem with) so I guess you want something nice and substantial

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1475585174' post='3147088']
Do you use an amp modeller/fx/pedals etc to get your sound when going straight into the PA?
[/quote]

Yeh I have a few pedals for effects, and a BDI21 at the end of the chain as an amp sim. It works quite well without the amp sim straight into a DI, but then I need an extra EQ pedal, and anyway, I like the sound of the amp sim

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1475587487' post='3147114']
http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/FR800.htm

Something like this would do the job nicely... I think there is a bergatino version as well..
[/quote]

I'd love a pair of those, but for now I am using the Barefaced Big Twin II and the Bergantino B-Amp which is like having a top spec PA behind me!

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1475587487' post='3147114']
[url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/FR800.htm"]http://barefacedbass...range/FR800.htm[/url]

Something like this would do the job nicely... I think there is a bergatino version as well..
[/quote]

Yep, the BF powered cab appears to be a good bet.

The Bergantino IP series was discontinued a few years ago. The one I heard was not really uber hi-fi like anyway though, but it was a great sounding "bass cab." The Bergantino B|Amp would be a great choice for a modeling rig though, IMHO. When I was using that type of rig I went with fEARful-ish 15/6/1 cabs and a pro sound power amp, and a channel strip style preamp. A single 12 powered cab would have been a little light for what I was doing at that time, but the QSC K-12 has worked pretty well for me and for others in less demanding situations.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1475539788' post='3146820']
Im sure others have thought of this before, but with amp modellers now becoming very good to be honest - the likes seen on several multi effects boxes - theres a lot of flexibiity to have several amp sounds at our fingertips rather than just one 'brand' with its own sound.

Given that, if you did want to go down that route, what power amp would you buy (i suppose it would need a rich but neutral sound so as not to colour the amp models) and what speaker or speakers would you put with it?

Would even 1 active cab (made for PA) work? and would a 12" be good enough?
[/quote]

Techamp/Eich and a barefaced BB2 would be the money-no-object option (or even a self powered unit like the barefaced FR800).

If you went the powered PA speaker route you'd need to get decent gear like say RCF.

With amp modelling you will be putting out a high level signal and won't need another pre amp. You can go straight into a PA amp which will be cheaper than a bass amp. You can then go straight into a PA speaker if it is the right one. There's a couple of things though. Your speaker requirements are still the same, if you need two twelves for bass you will still need two PA twelve. Cheap speakers will still struggle to cope with that level of bass. One extra hazard are plastic cabs which will mostly be too resonant for bass.

Going for active PA speakers makes sense but if a 2x10 is what you normally use then two ten inch PA speakers are minimum.