Why become a member? ×

Protruding Skunk Line on back of neck - pics added

tonyclaret

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1473673908' post='3132067']
I had a mex Jazz (bought off Leigh Gordon of morcheeba) which had exactly this issue, I just used it as a thumb reference point; it didn't move, never got any worse. Just wood shifting itself around a bit
[/quote] this is a mex Jazz too! Got some separation on the varnish too at the headstock.

A single action rod as used on most Fender basses will not put any real stress on a skunk stripe. So I wouldn't be too concerned. If it was in any danger of popping out it'd be mid way down the neck at the thinnest point of the skunk stripe (the truss rod rout is curved). It looks just like the wood moving a bit as mentioned earlier. It can be fixed, but it'd require a refinish to look 100%. Careful touch ups could get it looking decent enough though.

A double action truss rod can put stress on the back of a neck though. These are the type of rods used by luthiers and home builders. Typically they will not be used in conjunction with skunk stripes.

Edited by Manton Customs

In a sort of related way, I had the Koa? truss rod plug in my USA telecaster gradually come adrift and work its way out. Pushed back in and sorted with thin CA glue. You are unlikely to have the skunk stripe coming adrift but as advised above get someone who knows to have a look.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for input so far

Update on the skunk line - I got some wet and dry any finely sanded this down after filling the obvious visible edging with super glue. It's super smooth and slick, really nice feel now, you can see a fine line between the two woods but can't feel it.

The key issue here is the walnut skunk where I have sanded it has become a paler colour to the rest of the stripe. Is there anything I can do to restore this to match the original or as near as.

Cheers
Tony

Edited by tonyclaret

[quote name='Chopthebass' timestamp='1475777129' post='3148728']
I would sand it smooth and re-finish back of neck. then keep an eye on it for further movement.
[/quote]

Yeah sanded it super smooth. What processes in re-finishing? See above reply. Have a bit of mismatch of colour on skunk line.