Why become a member? ×

learning two finger right-hand technique (currently play one finger)

tedmanzie

I played using two fingers instinctively for about 18 years and was self taught. Recently however I finally had lessons and the one thing I am very grateful for my teacher pointing out if that I wasnt using rest strokes. Now I am incorporating them in to my playing and my technique is much improved.
It was an absolute bugger to learn having played a different way for so many years but I am glad I stuck with it as I feel i am much more in control now and the sound is much more defined.

I would definitely recommend you learn this technique.

see here for an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_CS04_g4K4

I have some exercises tabbed out from my tutor specifically to learn this technique - if you want I can email them to you.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1473060395' post='3126384']
Go and find old Chic records and learn these... You won't be able to do it with out using a good two finger technique.
It will take a lot of time.
Practice drumming with two all the time. Do it when driving on the steering wheel etc etc..
[/quote]
I do this, drives my better half mad

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1473021470' post='3126202']
I do have one tip - pay attention to your timing when using two. I found I drop into swing when starting with index, but I'm solid if I start with middle.
[/quote]

This is a great tip. My bass tutor (back when I was having lessons) always recommended leading with your middle finger rather than the index for just this reason. For some reason I don't understand it also helps make the tone more consistent across the two.

Also, you can't beat simple exercises to a metronome... Straight 8ths and 16ths on one note. On a simple bass line or scale. Across the strings. All part of making it second nature and developing muscle memory.

Then you can start looking at rhythms and breaking the rule where you throw in a few double or triple beats on the index finger between alternate picking.

None of it is rocket science!

I had a few lessons of classical guitar at school many decades ago so when I took up bass more recently it was easy to use two fingers (and thumb for arpeggios). But I noticed that Jack Bruce is a one-finger merchant (at least on fretless) and some of the players I most admire are not especially consistent in terms of the fingers they use and whether they strictly alternate (Entwistle, for instance). I play in a 70s rock covers band so who am I to talk, but my view is that you can get too hung up on being strict in alternating fingers. I find I can be pretty inconsistent. But I'd say: go with what feels right (provided it gives you the speed and dexterity you want) rather than worrying about consistency. The latter may be better in the long run technically, but maybe at the expense of feel or tone. If the greats are inconsistent, can't we be too?

Edited by Kitsto

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1473077864' post='3126611']
I played using two fingers instinctively for about 18 years and was self taught. Recently however I finally had lessons and the one thing I am very grateful for my teacher pointing out if that I wasnt using rest strokes. Now I am incorporating them in to my playing and my technique is much improved.
It was an absolute bugger to learn having played a different way for so many years but I am glad I stuck with it as I feel i am much more in control now and the sound is much more defined.

I would definitely recommend you learn this technique.

see here for an example:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_CS04_g4K4"]https://www.youtube....h?v=y_CS04_g4K4[/url]

I have some exercises tabbed out from my tutor specifically to learn this technique - if you want I can email them to you.
[/quote]

Thanks for the offer :)
I actually play like that already, albeit with my one finger technique, so this should ease the transition to two fingers!

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1473083545' post='3126704']

This is a great tip. My bass tutor (back when I was having lessons) always recommended leading with your middle finger rather than the index for just this reason. For some reason I don't understand it also helps make the tone more consistent across the two.

None of it is rocket science!
[/quote]
Hey that's made my day, no one here has ever said that about me; maybe I talk rubbish most of the time :)

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1473091198' post='3126824']
But at the same time don't overestimate the difficulty of rocket science
[/quote]
Look where it got Elon musk and his spacex program, should have paid more attention in rocket science class