Why become a member? ×

Paying Duty/vat on goods from Europe, Thomann's

funkgod

Now that Uk are not part of the EU,
will we be liable to pay duty/vat on goods from say Thomann in Germany ?
i have had stuff from them in the past and not paid, but now we are not part of the EU ??

I have just put in a big order :unsure:

Edited by funkgod

Yes, nothing has changed - yet. No one really knows what will happen when the UK formally leaves the EU but we can be sure that there will be plenty of discussion and news about what the changes will be well before they actually happen.

Personally, I can't see anything changing for at least another year, probably more.

We'll have to pay UK VAT but conversely not VAT in the country of origin, so Thomann prices will drop by about 20% but you'll have to pay 20% plus duty when importing. Unless we continue with some form of VAT harmonisation of course.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1471204344' post='3111271']
I doubt I'll be buying much from Thomann until such a time as Sterling recovers against the Euro.

Pound for pound it's quite possibly cheaper buying from UK retailers at the moment.
[/quote]

This. Unless you review everything you ever bought from them and get a €5 voucher for each one like I did!

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1471204344' post='3111271']
I doubt I'll be buying much from Thomann until such a time as Sterling recovers against the Euro.

Pound for pound it's quite possibly cheaper buying from UK retailers at the moment.
[/quote]
I found that when I bought a GK head last month, went to Thomann assuming it would be cheapest before checking against some UK suppliers and ended up buying from Dawsons as they were the cheapest vendor who had them in stock.