Why become a member? ×

Singing while playing..help!

geoham

[quote name='tom skool' timestamp='1470603823' post='3107086']
On trickier sections I work out what syllables land on particular notes. For example you might need to hit an f as you sing the 'lo' part of the word 'hello'. If that makes sense
[/quote]

This. You need to look a the vocal part from a rhythmic perspective and work out where syllables, pitch changes, pauses etc fit in over & around the notes you're playing.

When I first started trying to sing & play, I found it easier when I didn't look at what my hands were doing. Dunno why!

Jon.

Glad it's not just me who struggles. I also find playing with a pick helps - somehow the extra brain power required to operate two right-hand fingers pushes me over the edge and I just stop singing. When I do manage bass and vocals to at the same time, I find myself in a sort of 'Zen' space - not thinking about either the bassline or the vocals, but kind of existing somewhere between the two and just letting them both happen. If I think too much about one - or really think too much at all - it always turns into a bit of a car crash.

[quote name='spencer.b' timestamp='1470604624' post='3107097']
I find it way easier if I play with a plectrum
[/quote]

Kenny Rogers plays quite a funky bassline with a pick while singing lead vocals on this.
(Warning! Country & Western content!) :ph34r:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1e9p6J89rQ

Great hints here. I am in a similar situation to the OP. Our band has reformed minus the singer (who was the root of the original problems) with a view to three of us sharing the singing duties. I'm told that I can sing pretty well (in some genres), and can play bass OK-ish (Again in some genres), but generally if I try to do both it all collapses in a heap.

I suspect that it might be best to get the bass playing automatic and put the engage the brain on the singing, on the basis that the average audience will know if you're not engaging with the words.

The best thing I found for singing & playing was to record the bass/guitar separately, then record the vocal.

I never could remember the lyrics, and keep playing until we did some recording sessions, separating the two really helped me with both singing and playing.

What you could do is to record the band rehearsing with a portable, drop that into a daw, then overdub your vocal at your leisure.

It's worth a try

Really appreciate all your suggestions - few things to try here!

I'm especially interested in trying a pick rather than fingers. I almost always use fingers, though sometimes a pick for when only 'that' sound will do! I'm definitely not as comfortable with a pick - but going to give it a bash,.

It's a good point about the 'autopilot'. There's been a few times when I've had to jump in on lead vocals when our singer's forgotten the words and I've found that I've just gone full-belt into the vocal and just let the bass get on with itself. Surprised myself that it normally comes out fine!

Well, you could always record your vocals or basslines beforehand, and mime...

A guitarist/vocalist I used to play with had the same issue, and found his solution was a couple of shots of Jack Daniels just before showtime. I'm not recommending it, but it certainly worked for him.

Sadly, the actual answer is practice.