Why become a member? ×

Spraying a high gloss on a bass. ?

bubinga5

I'm wanting to put a high gloss on a bass. I have spoken to a guy who sprays cars.Snow Boards, etc. He said he could do it. He's a master at doing this type of stuff. BUT.I'm aware the instrument has a lot of pores and grain in it so many coats of gloss will need to be aplied. Do you think it's worth going to a guitar specific sprayer.? He wants £130 to do the body and headstock. Will a specific guitar sprayer cost more.?

If I want the engine on my car fixed, I'd go to a mechanic. If I want a spray job done I'd go to a pro sprayer.

I'm always surprised how often folk here recommend a luthier for a spray job.

A pro sprayer will know what grain filler to use to get rid of the pores in the grain.

Edited by Grangur

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1469921278' post='3102083']
Isn't the gloss all about the hours spent buffing [i]after[/i] the painting?
[/quote]

Preparation of the surface is just as important as applying the paint/lacquer. A surface which has been properly prepped and expertly sprayed can reduce the necessary buffing time from hours to minutes.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1469921278' post='3102083']
Isn't the gloss all about the hours spent buffing [i]after[/i] the painting?
[/quote] Gloss finish might rely on buffing, but filling the wood grain is the first consideration. I like to see the wood grain. You can fill the grain with enough coats anyway, but a good sprayer will know how to do it in fewer coats and so save money.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1469918903' post='3102059']
Yes but do they know how to work with wood.
[/quote]
I wouldn't go to a car sprayer necessarily. The guy I learned with was a french polisher. We sprayed furniture, using both lacquer and paint. We used to do shabby chic distressed furniture. I not only spray but do the distressing too, putting in the dents and removing them too.
So there are folk to there.

You may have seen this thread already:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/is-there-any-reason-an-auto-body-shop-couldnt-also-paint-guitars.1241755/

Food for thought. Without getting into the technicalities, I'd say that there's a good reason why a pro instrument finisher's going to cost you several orders over your car finishers £130... how much do you value the instrument?

I usually recon on about £50 on paint and lacquer and about a day in time taken, on and off. Plus stripper/hot-gun-gas, sandpaper, breathing mask, masking and other materials. Quite frankly, it's worth £130 to not have the hassle and cost. And you get a better job than you could do yourself, without the uncertainty. It might not be the [i]best job in the world, but[/i] it's not your headache.

If you want the best job in the world, then you need to shop around, see examples and be prepared to spend time and a good amount of cash. It doe make you question how folk like Gear4Music can get a pretty well finished bass to the market for <£100 doesn't it?

For an example of MJT's finish, see the thread: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/289206-70s-jazz-repro-build/page__fromsearch__1

Looks like ash, which is a bugger to gloss due to the open grain.
Filling the grain so that it looks right and provides a flat spraying surface is tricky.
As said above, the grain can be filled with initial clear coats, then sanded back, repeat until no low points, then lacquer as normal.

But there's a risk of sanding off the red stain in parts - then you're screwed.

If your man can do this for £130 bite his hand off, but be ultra sure he has seen the bass in the flesh and is confident that he has the experience to to it properly.

Let us know how you get on

Edited by Roland Rock

I am confused as to why people feel a car repairer won't do a great job, the principals are exactly the same as a car repair, you prep, get rid of any imperfections, you prime, you paint, you polish.

£130.00 to paint a guitar body is certainly not cheap, paint wise it amounts to about the same as a small panel repair on car bumper or panel, I have had 3 or 4 bodies done by the defleet site I work with all have been easily as good as any factory painted guitar I have owned.

My only caveat on the above is finding a decent repairer to do the job, as insurance companies have cut payouts to a minimum the quality of workmanship from retail insurance approved bodyshops has, by and large, dropped off a cliff, when I get vehicles back nowadays and our customer tells me it had an insurance approved repair done, sadly that usually means a poor quality repair.....but, remember I am paid to spot these repairs and what I see as a poor repair would go completely un-noticed by most people, the most common problem is poor colour match to the un-repaired panels but if you are having the whole thing painted you won't have that issue