Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1161712' date='Mar 14 2011, 01:20 PM']I've tried it absolutely everywhere but the end is 100x better. I think of it as a kind of sequencer that I 'play along to'. My effects chain generates my sound and then the slicer adds a rhythm that I join in with at the end.

Putting effects after it seems to make your core signal a little muddy as all the sounds go haywire with the slicers pattern.

Try it![/quote]

I tried it last night and almost blew my ear drum! Having it at the start of the chain, I had to have the effect level right up, but last night as soon as I turned it on my amp was clipping. I turned the effect level down, but then it just wasn't cutting through. I tried less dry level, but that didn't work. I wonder if it [i]needs[/i] a bit of compression after it? What's your set up? Does it sound good through your bass rig?

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1164049' date='Mar 16 2011, 08:20 AM']I tried it last night and almost blew my ear drum! Having it at the start of the chain, I had to have the effect level right up, but last night as soon as I turned it on my amp was clipping. I turned the effect level down, but then it just wasn't cutting through. I tried less dry level, but that didn't work. I wonder if it [i]needs[/i] a bit of compression after it? What's your set up? Does it sound good through your bass rig?[/quote]

Hiya... Yeah it sounds awesome.

I keep the dry at 12o'cloco and nudge the effect up to about 1 o'clock. It's plenty loud enough.

I used to use compression after it, but now I'm experimenting with no compression following other people's advice. Sounds great in both cases. Worth noting that I only use it on tracks with a few other effects before it, hardly ever use a clean signal into it. I do turn the attack up slightly on it (is it called attack? I can't recall)... Either way I have no problem with it cutting through.

One thing that I will say though is that I use it on slow settings (around 80bpm) much slower than many of the presets... Maybe it cuts through better because it's slow and more pronounced? At the mo I use 2 presets for 2 tracks in the set we are rehearsing. (1-1 & 3-6, both at 80bpm)

Shep

We play to a metronome (even live) as that gives it it's solid 'programmed' feel. The track is always the right speed and same length every time we play it. We feed a single metronome into a 3 output headphone amp and both listen to the click at different volumes to suit our needs.

I also take a 3rd signal out of the headphone amp which goes into a RedSound Voyager beat extractor which converts the extact pulse of the metronome into a midi clock to alter the tempo of my Slicer and LFO's. The drummer alters the tempo of the metronome between tracks and the Voyager instantly changes my pedal tempo's accordingly.

Simples :)

Shep

That's pretty cool.

I'd like to play to a metronome, but can't get the rest of the guys to (they say it takes away the feel, which is rubbish).
However, I do believe my singer/guitarist has bought himself an Adrenalinn, so I should be able to take a click to the Murf from that to sync us. Here's hoping! :)

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='1165176' date='Mar 16 2011, 11:47 PM']Ingenious! Bet it takes you forever to set up all your equipment though...[/quote]

Not really. The board is all set up within the Diago Tourman. I just plug in 3 expression pedals and one pedal that sits next to the board then plug in the mains. The beat extractor sits on top of my amp and I just run 1 midi cable to the MP-201 and one from that pedal to the Slicer.

My drummer sets up the metronome and headphone amp with his kit and I just plug in when I'm done. I can have my entire setup going in about 10 mins from arriving at a venue/studio.

My drummer takes about 3 hours :)

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1165206' date='Mar 17 2011, 12:17 AM']That's pretty cool.

I'd like to play to a metronome, but can't get the rest of the guys to (they say it takes away the feel, which is rubbish).
However, I do believe my singer/guitarist has bought himself an Adrenalinn, so I should be able to take a click to the Murf from that to sync us. Here's hoping! :)[/quote]

The Linn' is amazing, like the slicer meets every effect pedal about. Amazing bit of kit. No worries syncing your stuff to it via midi...

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1165368' date='Mar 17 2011, 08:33 AM']did you get your new set-up done on tuesday ? wouldn't mind seeing a pic..[/quote]

Pretty much. A few niggles to resolve with the power supply and one pedal to stick down. I'll get some pics up soon.

Shep

For me the Adrenalinn has proven to be an amazing bit of kit. Similar to the slicer, but with filter sections for the TB303 stuff and the cool weird arpeggiator function (taking a MIDI note feed from my synth player and playing a guitar into it is AWESOME!).

The thing is, once you get into complicated setups (as Shep has done), you start to think about setup time and functionality nearly as much as you think about sounds. The more gear, the more stuff to go wrong and if one thing goes, it really doesn't matter how cool everything would've sounded if it hadn't. Good power, good cables, appropriate casing and contingency plans all come into play once you have multiple signal paths and complicated, modular sound sources.

Dan

PS. That reminds me. Need to finish that blog post.

[quote name='DanOwens' post='1165854' date='Mar 17 2011, 03:11 PM']The thing is, once you get into complicated setups (as Shep has done), you start to think about setup time and functionality nearly as much as you think about sounds. The more gear, the more stuff to go wrong and if one thing goes, it really doesn't matter how cool everything would've sounded if it hadn't. Good power, good cables, appropriate casing and contingency plans all come into play once you have multiple signal paths and complicated, modular sound sources.

Dan

PS. That reminds me. Need to finish that blog post.[/quote]

I have spent an awful lot on powering this board... But reducing the cabling has proven a god send in resolving issues and cutting down from 8 mains transformers to 2 has transformed the simplicity of stuff. Yes there's a lot of pedals, but investing in a good board, good power supply and quality cables was a better investment than other new toys.

And yes... Get on with that blog post!!!!

[quote name='fishead' post='1163864' date='Mar 16 2011, 01:13 AM']What expression pedal are you using on the syb-5? Anyone tried the behringer Fcv100? It's cheap as chips and looks like it'll last 6 months tops but I thought it might be a cheap way to try an expression pedal with the syb-5...[/quote]

I dont remember its some really cheap Generall music or smth like that expression. Any expression with 100k pot will do the work i guess :)

Here is my "plug and play" board:

[url="http://img146.imageshack.us/i/p1030176st.jpg/"]
[/url]
[url="http://img836.imageshack.us/i/p1030177.jpg/"]
[/url]
[url="http://img813.imageshack.us/i/p1030173.jpg/"]
[/url]

Signal path: Bass -> Octaver, Fuzz, Envelope Filter, Wah wah, Chorus, Volume, [Empty slot], Compressor, DI

Everything is controlled by a Musicomblab.

Modded my pedaltrain in order to get some space under to fit the PP2 and opened holes to 2x Jack, 1x XLR and 1x Power. All the mods were made at home, it isn't perfect and have some mistakes..

Thats it!

Cheers,
Luis

Edited by lmbalcao

Just for you guys....

I recorded samples for the few of you that have asked me. Enjoy. I realize I made a separate thread for these, but I figured you all might want these as well.

Prescription Electronics Depth Charge Part 1
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su677cqIrWc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su677cqIrWc[/url]

Prescription Electronics Depth Charge Part 2
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJHB5J-dheM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJHB5J-dheM[/url]

Amptweaker TightMetal Part 1
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-L9faNaVMk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-L9faNaVMk[/url]

Amptweaker TightMetal Part 2
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r4ae-o2dYU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r4ae-o2dYU[/url]

Both finger style and pick just to show the highlights of the pedals.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1171477' date='Mar 21 2011, 10:49 PM']Cool stuff Andy. Will be killer when you get the larger board sorted. I love the Boss Phaser Shifter... In the step up mode it's amazing after fuzz![/quote]

yeh will be much neater! yeh the phaser is cool its in the ls-2 loop with the blues driver to really make some funky sounds!

andy

Why not use your effects to come up with the kind of bass sound you want (incase you haven't done that already) & then decide what kind of music & what instruments you need?
Then go & find those musicians & start your own band. :)

I'm toying with one of 2 ideas when I get moved. 1, get back with my current band & get playing the stuff I know & work on new stuff or - 2, start a new band that's more down the breakbeat/dubstep/DnB route. Either is gonna be fun :)

Well my new band is going to be with the guitarist from my old band, and our ex-drummer pretty much. So I have some kind of idea where it's going to be coming from. But with new songs, I don't have to use effects (it's nice not to have to worry about them sometimes!), or I could ditch what I'm using for some new setup. I'm feeling the tried and tested OC-2/WM/Moog LPF setup, but I can't see it having much use with the kind of material we're likely to write.

So I'm kind of in a similar situation to you really! I don't think I could give enough variation to a DnB project though (I have no love at all for Dubstep). As much of it as I listen to - and I listen to a lot, I just can't write stuff that sits well in that style. And it's REALLY hard to incorporate into a rock crossover without sounding really cheesy and forced, which leaves me not wanting to do it.

Edited by Finbar

The M9 does have some good DnB sounds hidden in it somewhere, after a lot of tinkering. First time I've got synthy sounds that I like out of it tbh. Only problem is it takes up all 3 effects to make a decent sound, and then you have nowhere left to go for adding more flavour to it with delays and stuff. I've not given up on this yet though :)

The joy of creating your sound. It's expensive!
My board so far totals about £700 & I still want to get an octaver, a delay & possibly a ring mod (& I also want to build a 1/2 decent overdrive to replace the PSK, or maybe mod it).
My board's gonna end up dearer than my bass! :)