Why become a member? ×

Do you play everyday?

arthurhenry

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1467633535' post='3084960']
Aha and there was me thinking it was the Gaelic translation for Quilty

[url="http://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Quilty,+Co.+Clare,+Ireland/@52.784068,-9.4593492,11.99z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x485ae2976e64dd0f:0xa00c7a9973183b0!8m2!3d52.8172567!4d-9.4559219?hl=en"]http://www.google.co...9.4559219?hl=en[/url]
[/quote]

Makes perfect sense.... since I mispelt the word (it should have two "L"'s"). :blush:

It is actually the Irish word for "forrest" or "wood", and is also a state sponsered company here in Ireland.

I have always said that Bass Chat is a very informative web site. ;)

[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coillte"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coillte[/url]

Edited by Coilte

Normally I play 3 or 4 times a week... Mainly cos I really need the practice 😀 However due to unfortunate circumstances my girlfriends hobby took up a lot less of her time than normal for the last three or four months. Obviously the knock on effect is that I have to donate all of my time to 'quality time'.
New ponies arrived last week so I am looking forward to some 'me' time 😉

2 years with the bass in the basement, now 2 months ago I started playing again and taking lessons, mainly learning modes, I try to study/play everyday but some days I just get bored and find even the sound of my bass dull, it might be a syndrome called the bored bassist, I think I need a band...

[quote name='bajistaman' timestamp='1467680678' post='3085354']
2 years with the bass in the basement, now 2 months ago I started playing again and taking lessons, mainly learning modes, I try to study/play everyday but some days I just get bored and find even the sound of my bass dull, it might be a syndrome called the bored bassist, I think I need a band...
[/quote]

I never looked at the electric bass guitar as a solo instrument, and why I don't understand where the pay off is for bedroom noodler.

I grew up in the regional band culture in my part of Jersey in the 60s and 70s. It was all about being in a band and gigging, plain and simple. It was where the action and excitement was.

My ideology is ancient now. For the younger generation they have different ideas about playing. Noodling in the bedroom with top notch gear, no band and no gigs by design is what's happening now.

Blue

Edited by blue

its very rare that i dont play bass each day. i've had multiple operations on my wrist so i need to make sure that i keep doing my warmup/exercises so i dont get any issues but normally i'll play certain exercises and work on new songs or sections for the band

so i can fit the time in between work and everything else i get up early to play with headphones in each morning (5:50am early)

If there's a musical instrument to hand I will play every day even if it's only for a few minutes while I run through my latest new musical idea/song to make sure that I haven't forgotten how it goes.

I haven't really practiced in the conventional sense since I mastered the ability to string a series of chords together on the guitar without needing to pause to get my fingers in the right place some time in 1974. These days it's simply a question of training my fingers to do things that my brain has come up with when I'm working on a new song. I find that doing this for a few minutes on and off during the day generally get me there fairly quickly.

I also think that there is benefit to running through songs that I already know. I'm a great believer in the saying that you should practice not until you get something right, but until you can't get it wrong. I don't believe that I'll ever completely reach the second state, but every time I play through a song it gets me a little bit closer.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1467711023' post='3085486']
I'm a great believer in the saying that you should practice not until you get something right, but until you can't get it wrong.
[/quote]

Nice mantra. Never heard that saying before.

I play something every day, but it's usually acoustic guitar if I'm at home or drums if I'm at the studio. I have a gig on bass this weekend, we haven't rehearsed for a month, and I haven't practised anything. We'll have two 1.5 hour rehearsals this week and then the gig. I expect we'll be tight as f*ck

I do play drums more regularly than anything else, but recently I've had two whole weeks off due to travelling, and I've found that I'm not better than ever. I'm playing some beats and fills I'd never thought of before, and everything is feeling easier and sounding better. Sometimes a break is good?

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1467645575' post='3085110']
Makes perfect sense.... since I mispelt the word (it should have two "L"'s"). :blush:

It is actually the Irish word for "forrest" or "wood", and is also a state sponsered company here in Ireland.

I have always said that Bass Chat is a very informative web site. ;)

[url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coillte"]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coillte[/url]
[/quote]

thanks for that, great stuff, I just got all excited as both my in laws come from within a few miles of Quilty.

IMO "just" playing is practicing. It re-enforces what you already know which can be just as vital as learning a new technique.

If you are in a gigging band knowing the songs inside out and being able to react to any musical situations that may arise during a gig due to one of your band mates messing up can be far more important than working on a technique that you'll never use outside of your music room.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1468060096' post='3088337']
IMO "just" playing is practicing. It re-enforces what you already know which can be just as vital as learning a new technique.

If you are in a gigging band knowing the songs inside out and being able to react to any musical situations that may arise during a gig due to one of your band mates messing up can be far more important than working on a technique that you'll never use outside of your music room.
[/quote]

Depends, if your playing things that ate challenging and need work,then yes. Having a good time jamming stuff you already have mastered, then no.

Blue

Edited by blue