Why become a member? ×

More EBay fun...

iamtheelvy

So I sold an amp on EBay just over the week ago, and arranged with the buyer to come and collect it last week. He paid up, came and collected it and tried the amp out (showing no issues). All happy.

Today he messages me to say it has developed a crackle and wanted to let me know "in case it became a terminal issue." Clearly, he's thinking along the lines of a refund if unhappy. Where do I stand with this? My description was fine, including a No Returns status. Never had an issue with it, and it all worked out when collected.

[quote name='gs_triumph' timestamp='1467321381' post='3082896']
There is always the pay with paypal. Collect. Claim not item not received scam
[/quote]

^^^This^^^.

I sold a bass the other week through eBay. Have done before, no problem.

Although my own terms ask for zero feedbackers to contact me first, one bid (and he was the only bidder) right at the end. Item won.

Sent messages, invoices, etc. - no response. Received one after around 3 days 'sorry, will sort payment first thing tomorrow ASAP'.

You guess it, never paid. So after 7 days, I could finally get my fees back - and the action against him? Nothing from eBay, nothing I can do.

Reason for my post was that during the 7 days, I researched countless scams which take place, as I was sure my buyer was plotting all sorts.

The Paypal then collect scam seems particularly common, too.

After years of selling various musical bits through eBay, I've sworn never again. I would have BC'd it, but it's on the 'banned' list! ;)

There is a trend in the last few years on eBay of not necessarily the worst type of scammer but everyone trying it on with "oooh this is slightly worn, can you knock a tenner (or more) off??" particularly on items that would be a pain to repost back.
Sold a bass to a guy who lived in a city I once lived in... He claimed an electrics problem and said he'd been quoted twenty five quid for repair on his eighty quid knackered bass... I said fine, I'll call the shop and sort it because I used to live nearby and was a regular there. He backed down immediately...

If he's not happy with the amp tell him to bring it back for a refund.

IME most of the time when this happens it's chancers hoping to get some extra discount. I find that if the choice is keeping the item at the price they paid or having to return it, they always end up keeping it and I never hear from them again.

That's the risk you take when you buy secondhand - it could pack up the day after you get it. Could be the buyer's a bit of a chancer, and is maybe having second thoughts about it and is trying to set up an excuse to return it, or it could genuinely be developing a fault, but either way I'd suggest it's tough luck.