Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Famous Pick Players

cheddatom

I've just been watching a Meters video from the 80's and George Porter Jr, a long time finger style player (I thought), is using a pick.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J28WHPh8_VE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J28WHPh8_VE[/url]

I'll echo what some of the guys have said already, Duff, Bobby Vega, also check out Cody Wright and Bruno Tauzin's pickstyle bass - superb. I like some of the punk guys, too. Matt Freeman of Rancid is filthy with a pick, Fat Mike of NOFX is great too, really melodic lines. I'm also digging Hunter Burgan of AFI's stuff.

hijacking the thread slightly but I checked through our set list the other year to see what basses the bass player was using and whether they played finger style or pick live, I was quite surprised at how many players used a Precision played with a pick live whereas on the original record it was another type of bass played finger style

My most surprising example was Golden Touch by Razorlight, the live video I found was from Glastonbury where the bassist was rocking out with a Black on Black Precision played with a pick, the other end of the scale was a classic Buzzcocks track played finger style on a Jazz bass!