Why become a member? ×

USA Geddy Lee Jazz

LewisK1975

Just spotted a used one on the Bass Direct Website. Looks nice but I thought they had pearl inlays and cream binding?

The one in BD has black blocks and binding....

Anyone know the previous owner and therefore more about how this particular bass came to be different to spec? Some sort of custom order?

Edited by LewisK1975

Read the description, Mark has said it was a custom order with black blocks instead of the pearloid.

Im sure Mark isn't one to be duped or anything, but would Fender really take custom options on a signature bass? Or, at least, without megabucks?

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1466232322' post='3074255']
Again, only from memory, but didn't those red ones come without scratchplates and control plates?
[/quote]

Certainly no scratchplate - a copy of this:

Edited by Woodinblack

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1466200076' post='3074151']
Read the description, Mark has said it was a custom order with black blocks instead of the pearloid.

Im sure Mark isn't one to be duped or anything, but would Fender really take custom options on a signature bass? Or, at least, without megabucks?
[/quote]

This is why I'm asking to see if anyone on here knows the previous owner, what's been said above is correct, there was a FSR run of 100 USA Geddys in flame top see-through red, which had the black blocks and binding, but I can't find any reference anywhere to them doing the same with a black bodied version..

This was the red one they did - http://www.bassclubchicago.com/product_p/fendergeddyusltdcrsn15098003.htm

I emailed Fender customer support asking the same questions - I got a reply yesterday, saying that they weren't sure about it, calling it 'interesting', and that they were going to look into it more and report back..with initial thoughts being that everything looked correct on it, and that the blocks and binding may have been a factory error..they did confirm though that there was no special run of [b]black [/b]basses with black blocks/binding, only the red ones..

Maybe this one was getting built at the same time as the FSR red ones, and some bright spark at the factory bolted the neck onto a black body instead of a red one...?

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1466259639' post='3074492']with initial thoughts being that everything looked correct on it, and that the blocks and binding may have been a factory error..[/quote]

That would make sense - looking very closely at the binding on the bass direct pictures it looks like the US Geddy with the edge binding capping the frets which I've not noticed on the 'cheaper' models.

I know Fender QC is awful at the best of time, but surely a signature series bass of the price point could not simply come out of the factor looking aesthetically entirely different in error???

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1466355385' post='3075215']
I know Fender QC is awful at the best of time, but surely a signature series bass of the price point could not simply come out of the factor looking aesthetically entirely different in error???

This^^^
[/quote]

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1466199526' post='3074148']
I'm no expert, but I think the dearer one is a USA version and the other one is either the Mexican or Japanese version.

I think I read somewhere that Geddy's original had black blocks and binding, but when he had to have the neck replaced he requested the Fender Custom Shop make one with MOP blocks and cream binding.

I think the recent USA standard version more closely resembles the recent Custom Shop version in that they are both cream and pearl.

Here is my CS....

[/quote]

The holy trinity!!!!!

OK so I got a reply from Fender - they confirmed that it is indeed a factory mess up, the bass was built while the special run of crimson red ones were being made and someone has put a neck for a crimson red bass onto a black body.

That makes it 'one of a kind' in my book. I'm having it. :)

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1466519392' post='3076447']
OK so I got a reply from Fender - they confirmed that it is indeed a factory mess up, the bass was built while the special run of crimson red ones were being made and someone has put a neck for a crimson red bass onto a black body.

[/quote]

[attachment=221954:420830.png]

Great score :)

[/quote]

Speechless.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1466545794' post='3076757']
Speechless.
[/quote]
Why's that Kev? You wouldn't buy it, OK fine, each to their own.. :)

Here's why I bought it - Not that I have to justify spending my own money on whatever I want to anyone, but when they brought these out, my first thought was if they had done it with black blocks and binding, I'd be moving heaven and earth to get one. That's why this one sparked my interest.

I did my research, got written confirmation from Fender that it's all genuine parts, with the only difference between a 'to spec' one and this one being the different blocks and binding. So I get what I wanted in the first place, straight from the factory.

I'm happy. It didn't cost [i]you [/i]anything. No need to rain on my parade.

Edited by LewisK1975

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1466579751' post='3076858']

Why's that Kev? You wouldn't buy it, OK fine, each to their own.. :)

Here's why I bought it - Not that I have to justify spending my own money on whatever I want to anyone, but when they brought these out, my first thought was if they had done it with black blocks and binding, I'd be moving heaven and earth to get one. That's why this one sparked my interest.

I did my research, got written confirmation from Fender that it's all genuine parts, with the only difference between a 'to spec' one and this one being the different blocks and binding. So I get what I wanted in the first place, straight from the factory.

I'm happy. It didn't cost [i]you [/i]anything. No need to rain on my parade.
[/quote]

Well said.

[/quote]

lucky spot, need pics when it arrives

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1466579751' post='3076858']

No need to rain on my parade.
[/quote]

I'm not sure he was, it came across to me that he was just shocked that it left the factory with the wrong neck on for the model.

Cool bass though and a cool little story to go with it, a non-custom shop custom Fender! :happy: Grats!

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1466611446' post='3077240']
I'm not sure he was, it came across to me that he was just shocked that it left the factory with the wrong neck on for the model.

Cool bass though and a cool little story to go with it, a non-custom shop custom Fender! :happy: Grats!
[/quote]

That's true, I did obviously read it that Kev was 'speechless' that I'd gone ahead and bought it, having had confirmation that it was a factory error. If I'm wrong, then I'll put me handbag away! :lol:

No, I was not speechless that you had bought it! I'm sure its a great bass, and certainly rare if for the wrong reasons. Enjoy it!:)

I was speechless about how a signature series instrument built to a high and very specific spec could possibly go out wrong, be accepted by the dealer wrong, and be sold to the initial buyer wrong! But more than anything else the QC at Fender, even at instruments of this level. Crazy.

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1466598195' post='3077081']
lucky spot, need pics when it arrives
[/quote]

Oh yes indeed! :gas: Even though I personally prefer the pearl inlays, I love the black too - and it will remind me of my three lovely Geddies that I stupidly sold... :(

Well, it's 'out for delivery'. Hold on to your hats chaps.

As it happens I think I happened to come across the previous owner last night on youtube. I was getting myself all excited by seaching 'Fender Geddy Lee USA' and this popped up:

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47HYzQ5PMNo"]https://www.youtube....h?v=47HYzQ5PMNo[/url]

This chap (great player by the way) has done a bunch of youtube playalong vids, in some of which I believe he's using this very bass I'm waiting to be delivered. There are certain standout woodgrains on the headstock and I compared the vid with the Bass Direct pictures and I'm sure it's the same one.

Edited by LewisK1975