Why become a member? ×

NAD Handbox 400 like WOT's but with lights.

gary mac

Although WOT already has a thread on the same model, I've decided to start another, I think another thread is relevant as I'm sure our experiences will differ, as we use different instruments and cabs .

This was posted from Poland on Monday and arrived safe and sound at my place on Thursday morning.

[url="https://flic.kr/p/GQXvLD"][/url]

My first view of it

[url="https://flic.kr/p/HHB1wd"][/url]

As you can see the case is a substantial affair, offering a good level of protection.

[url="https://flic.kr/p/GQRfby"][/url]

The one I have has the same colour fascia as WOT's but with the addition of some very pleasing blue lights.

[url="https://flic.kr/p/HHAUbN"][/url]

To me it's a lovely looking amp and I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces.

My first impression was that the controls were somewhat lacking but I was wrong. The simplicity allows for easily achieving a rewarding tone. So far I've only been able to play it at lounge friendly volume at home but I have to say even on a low volume setting it is impressive.

I will report back once I've actually gigged with the amp but meanwhile I will take it to the Herts Bash on Sunday, along with a Barefaced Big Baby 2. If anyone wants to bring along their own cabs to give it a blast through, then please do.

That's it for now.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1464972153' post='3064318']
That's a serious case! Looks great.

[/quote][quote name='discreet' timestamp='1464972142' post='3064317']
Look forward to hearing about this... first impression: Great that it comes complete with its own flightcase. :)
[/quote]

It really offers proper protection and has a reassuring industrial feel to it.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1464972644' post='3064323']
I can't believe yours has got lights. I'm insanely jealous. :-(

Nice case, too - that's probably similar to what I'll be going for, to match my cab. Did it come with a soft case?
[/quote]

No soft case but lots of loverly blue lights :lol:

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1464970845' post='3064304']
Is this valve front and digi back?
[/quote]
[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1464977616' post='3064389']
Yes the pre features 3 x 12AX7's :)
[/quote]

I'm not sure if I've read this wrong, but just a little correction (hope you don't mind, Gary!) - the power section is class A/B.

Looks great, the case is really classy as well... Beats the rubbish nylon bags all my amps have come with.

Looking forward to hearing it at the bash :)

How heavy is it? I've been trying to justify a Glock BAC to myself all week for gigs where I get a lift and that's 17kg...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1465107599' post='3065264']
Looks great, the case is really classy as well... Beats the rubbish nylon bags all my amps have come with.

Looking forward to hearing it at the bash :)

How heavy is it? I've been trying to justify a Glock BAC to myself all week for gigs where I get a lift and that's 17kg...
[/quote]

It's much lighter than the Glock, comes in at about 7.5kg.

Look forward to meeting you Rob :)

The amp performed really well at the Bass Bash. I was pleased to get the opportunity to hear it at volume, in a largish room.

First of all Lozz put it through its paces and used it for the pedal/pre-amp shoot out. Hooked up to his Barefaced 2x12" it worked very well, keeping in mind that the eq was kept flat, nothing boosted or cut, the idea being, that we could really hear what effect the pedals had to the sound from Lozz's U.S. P bass.

After that I hooked it up to my Barefaced Big Baby 2 and it was given a blast with a few different basses, passive and actives. I think it was generally agreed that a great sound was easy to achieve with only very slight eq adjustments.

Would I buy one of these amps? The early signs are good, I love the look of it and we all know that this is an important consideration :lol:. At lounge friendly volume I can get a great tone out of it from all of my basses. What I heard at the bash, convinces me that it will deliver the volume/tone that I require for gigging.
I've yet to A/B it properly with my GK Fusion 500, which I love but I get the feeling that the GK might well end up staying in the gig bag as a back up.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1465237668' post='3066423']
Yep, I thought it was a great amp - and the boost button really makes it come alive for the type of sound I want (and which most others would run a mile from I guess).
[/quote]
Maybe it should be rebadged, the PUNK button :)

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1465237383' post='3066420']
I've yet to A/B it with my GK Fusion 500, but I get the feeling that the GK might well end up staying in the gig bag as a back up.
[/quote]

DIBS!! - If you move the Fusion on. It's a shame you didn't get to try the Handbox with the One10. :)

Edited by discreet

I had a good blast with this amp and was very impressed indeed.

The gain control added loads of extra textures to the sound rather than adding fizziness or crackling. Small thing, but the knobs felt really good and solid and I found the simplicity on the EQ refreshing.

Flightcase/construction very solid too.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1465240293' post='3066452']
I tried the BF110 with Lozz's Tonehammer. Not for me, wasn't keen on the tone.
[/quote]

Lozz says he preferred the Little Mark over the Tone Hammer with the One10 and that the cab sounds different with different amps. Which is why I wondered if anyone had put the Handbox through it. Apparently not.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1465240797' post='3066457']
Lozz says he preferred the Little Mark over the Tone Hammer with the One10 and that the cab sounds different with different amps. Which is why I wondered if anyone had put the Handbox through it. Apparently not.
[/quote]

Tried it with both and it wasn't my thing.

I sold my Markbass 2x10 HF cab a couple of nights back. Before it went, I thought it would be good to hear it one last time and so I hooked it up to Handbox 400.
Happy to report that it works very well with Markbass. :)

I've been around this forum for a long time and I'm pretty sure that up until now I've not used the "heft" word. It's time for me to use it now, this amp has HEFT :lol:

One feature of this amp that I don't think has been commented on yet is the absence of surface mounted components. From WOT's thread photos the PCBs all appear to be hand soldered through hole construction which are a whole lot easier to service and repair than high density SMT.

If I didn't already own a shed full of heads I would have one on order as they are in a different class to the easy to produce, almost impossible to repair units that now prevail.

HB have certainly put a great deal of effort into the aesthetics of their amps which I really like and it will be interesting to see if they continue to offer the variety of cosmetic and casing options once they become more established.

Edited by Sparky Mark