Why become a member? ×

When people say "with PA support"

EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464540456' post='3060203']

That'll shift a bit of air!

The tops - you are running the amp the tops in series I presume?
[/quote]

Certainly does! They are indeed in series. Fortunately the amp will happily run down to 2ohms.

What about unnecessary PA support? At a gig tonight in a tiny venue (picture taken from back of the room)
Note the Genz 6x10 and Orange Terror mic'd up to go through the PA!
God I love my ACS earplugs :D

[Img] http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg580/christopher_brown14/rackbags/20160529_203215_zpsszgwfcrg.jpg" class="ipsImage" />

In tge spirit of the thread, the PA is all Peavey boxes (6) with EV, QSC and Peavey power amps. Soundcraft desk.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464511056' post='3059891']

No, I'm up to speed on the above -

I'm more interested in the makes and models that people are actually using when they say they are playing with PA support.
[/quote]
Ok, it would still be good to have more detail. Is this just curiosity? Is it for your band?

Assuming it's some sort of Rock band with a drummer playing at volume then I'd say you'd sensibly need tops with subs and something like 300W RMS a side going to tops and the same going to the subs. There are other systems out there but this is the most usual route you'll see. Not many tops will handle enough bass on their own to do bass duties without a decent bass rig.

I've two PA's. My old passive system is the Yamaha club series S112V tops and S118V subs driven by two Peavey 1600 amps. My active system is Wharfedale EVP 12" tops and 15" subs, which I'd recommend. It wouldbe worth looking at JBL, EV, Yamaha's new stuff, Mackie, All of which I've heard sounding great. If you had a decent budget then RCF or QSC would be an upgrade or the dB mentioned above.

If you wanted a cheap system I personally wouldn't go for the old Peaveys. Solid and reliable though they are the vocal sound lacks detail. The old Yamaha club series can be picked up for next to nothing nowadays and are just as reliable. Nothing wrong with peavey amps, mixers or bass bins though, it's just the tops..

Well, after this thread a few years ago:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/175567-which-pa-subwoofer-to-go-for/
I still have the Mackie HD1501s, and they're still working fine!
I really only use for pub and small club gigs,and find that I only ever need one of them to compete against 3k peak worth of tops (RCF NX L24-As), and that's not even driving it hard.
It makes a huge difference when doing sound, as with the best will in the world a bassist is never going to get the balance right all night, and most bass rigs never really dial in the right amount of sub for the room. That being said, I think it's pretty tough for a PA to make bass sound great by itself, and I get best results with a mix of the PA and the rig. I think it also helps to have some of the kick and the bass coming from the same source.
With the full rig I'm up to 5.2k peak, which is probably overkill for most pubs :)
The 1501s are a complete bugger to move around though if there's stairs, but can just about carry with one hand if needed. And digital mixing is really a must to get the best out of the bass for me.
A.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1464600680' post='3060584']
I managed to leave home without my amp head for a little three piece function gig a couple of weeks ago. Just used a DI through my HK Actor DX rig and stuck a little bit in the wedge and was a lovely quiet stage! Might do it more often.
[/quote]

I always prefer to go that way now - the last three or four years has been me, my bass and a microbass 2 preamp into the PA. Its great - especially if the whole band are inears. The band just sounds better out front.

I love the thunderous lows of subs without having the mush on stage.

Edited by EBS_freak

For smaller gigs:
A pair of RCF Art 745s on top.
A pair of RCF 905s usually stacked in the corner of the room. Behringer X-air XR 18 mixer. In ears all round.

For medium gigs:
Four RCF 905s either one pair either side of the stage under the tops if we can get them over 60ft apart otherwise in a single big stack somewhere.
Behringer x-air XR 18 mixer.
In ears all round.

Large gigs:
Hired rig with engineer.

Bass gets pa support at all as I di mainly. Only get to use my nice rig when depping these days.

[size=4][color=#000000] Behringer iNuke NU6000DSP Power Amp[/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#000000]Behringer X Air 18[/color][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Into 2 "[/color][color=#000000]the box pro Achat 115" Subs [/color][color=#000000]and 2 [/color][color=#000000]Solton MF 300L tops.[/color][/font][/size]
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]2 [/color][color=#000000]Behringer F1320D Monitors[/color][/font][/size]
[size=4]2 lead vocals, 2 backing vocals, keyboard, kick drum, one overhead, a little bit of guitar and a little bit of bass[/size]

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1464682609' post='3061308']
[color=#000000]Behringer iNuke NU6000DSP Power Amp[/color]
[color=#000000]Behringer X Air 18[/color]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]Into 2 "[/color][color=#000000]the box pro Achat 115" Subs [/color][color=#000000]and 2 [/color][color=#000000]Solton MF 300L tops.[/color][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000]2 [/color][color=#000000]Behringer F1320D Monitors[/color][/font]
2 lead vocals, 2 backing vocals, keyboard, kick drum, one overhead, a little bit of guitar and a little bit of bass
[/quote]

Ooh - never heard of Solton before... *googles*

We had a budget when we were looking to buy, and asked for advice from a sound engineer friend.
He recommended these to us, as tops, as a good buy for the price. He had used them like this before and was impressed.
Must say, they have been excellent for us.

Edited by FuNkShUi

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1464594443' post='3060483']
It's just an intrigue really - I've got more PA stuff than you can shake a stick at!
[/quote]

As this is an intrigue thread here's an intriguing photo of our aforementioned rig in it's packed up ready to go in the trailer state.

That's everything including the monitors, lights and lead bags/boxes. The only things not in shot are the mic box, stands, the desk flight case and my combo

Les

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1464645605' post='3061161']
For smaller gigs:
A pair of RCF 905s usually stacked in the corner of the room. Behringer X-air XR 18 mixer. In ears all round.

For medium gigs:
Four RCF 905s either one pair either side of the stage under the tops if we can get them over 60ft apart otherwise in a single big stack somewhere.
Behringer x-air XR 18 mixer.
In ears all round.

Large gigs:
Hired rig with engineer.

Bass gets pa support at all as I di mainly. Only get to use my nice rig when depping these days.
[/quote]

Oh yes very nice.

Those 745s on their own would kill most bass rigs but people are obsessed with having their own big rig to stand next to!

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1464699122' post='3061524']

Oh yes very nice.

Those 745s on their own would kill most bass rigs but people are obsessed with having their own big rig to stand next to!
[/quote]

You wouldn't even need any monitors would you? Or is that fishful thinking?