Why become a member? ×

Talent to bass ratio

Twincam

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1463170403' post='3049316']
What's to learn where that's concerned? Pino's choice suits him, my choice suits me. If Pino's choice is right, then by definition so's mine, and yours.
[/quote]

Well I do have have people, down The Pig & Whistle, regularly prostrating themselves in front of me at the weekend but the're usually fat, drunk, middle aged men :(

I think it doesn't matter if you don't do flashy, you enjoy what you do and it fits with the style of music you play. The important thing is having a bass that gives you what you need, the sound that sings to you. If you get that joy from a more expensive bass, then that's all the justification you need.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1463171836' post='3049333']

Well I do have have people, down The Pig & Whistle, regularly prostrating themselves in front of me at the weekend but the're usually fat, drunk, middle aged men :(
[/quote]

Judging by some of the gigs I've played, you should count yourself lucky that they're men!

Great thread this. But isn't this phenomenon what happens when we, who are in our prime and full-time employment, have the resources to go and buy whatever our hearts desire, irrespective of having the ability to play it.

We also tell ourselves we crave variety of different instruments, so we gain a collection of the things.

Besides we all know that no matter how bad I sound on the basses i own there is obviously one bass out there somewhere which will unleash my true potential and the world will at last appreciate my true ability. I'm just hoping that mine is a nice Gear4music LA bass that's on its way from EBay that I got for £45. :P

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1463183619' post='3049436']
I want to hear what it sounds like in capable hands
[/quote]

I know that feeling well. I also want to be the one to get those delicious sounds from my instrument at will. Just now I get aural "glimpses" of the extraordinary things the Steiny is capable of. It's bringing me on to chase those sounds.

im paying £2k+ for my custom birthday bass, am I an awesome player worthy of such an instrument ....Nope.....can I afford it ...yes, even after my recent unemployment state! do I give a rats arse that im getting a bass thats worth way more than my talent could ever justify?............nope.

If I owned an expensive instrument I think I'd be frightened of bashing it. I'm relaxed and comfortable playing any of my 'less than £200' basses. In fact an expensive instrument would make me cautious about putting a ding in it.

Edited by grandad

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1463254229' post='3050014']
If I owned an expensive instrument I think I'd be frightened of bashing it. I'm relaxed and comfortable playing any of my 'less than £200' basses. In fact an expensive instrument would make me cautious about putting a ding in it.
[/quote]
That's why reliced basses are available.