Why become a member? ×

Vulfpeck, and Joe Dart

Funky Dunky

Is this guy the next big bass hero? Only just got into them, after seeing their name being bandied about for months now. Joe's feel, sense of groove and dynamics utterly floored me. Just an upsettingly good player, right up my street and has really inspired me to practice my butt off.

I love Vulfpeck, his bass playing upsets me too.

This one is a favourite, the bass tone is immense and those teacup playing skills are second to none.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk7XuB25hOk"]https://www.youtube....h?v=Mk7XuB25hOk[/url]

They had been listening to Controversy by Prince a lot I think...

I also like how they dress like extras from Napoleon Dynamite.

Edited by interpol52

Was lucky enough to see them Live when i was in L.A. last year, here's the link to the Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mkOeI2gHq8

-Got to meet Jack Stratton and Theo Katzmann beforehand and told them they should get over here and tour, think its down to money more than the will.
Can you believe Markbass or Fender haven't picked him up to sponsor him??? Friend of mine who plays Irish folk music informed me JD plays with and Irish Folk group too.

I did my homework on this one a while back since I loved that tone so much! Turns out it's a Carlo Robelli, which is the cheap entry level in-house brand from American music store Long & McQuade - probably on the same level as Harley Benton and Jack & Danny:

I heard on a podcast it was strung with TI flats, and from a Reddit AMA the bass belongs to drummer / band leader Jack Stratton, as Joe only owns a Fender Jazz!

I have a Sandberg Basic, which with the mids boosted and played into my Orange Terror Bass does a great impression of that sound. A 2-band Stingray would do the trick as well I reckon. There was a Tobias Growler for sale around here recently that had my interest that has an MM pickup in the sweet spot and a very similar body shape too!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1462050366' post='3039980']
I did my homework on this one a while back since I loved that tone so much! Turns out it's a Carlo Robelli, which is the cheap entry level in-house brand from American music store Long & McQuade - probably on the same level as Harley Benton and Jack & Danny:

I heard on a podcast it was strung with TI flats, and from a Reddit AMA the bass belongs to drummer / band leader Jack Stratton, as Joe only owns a Fender Jazz!

I have a Sandberg Basic, which with the mids boosted and played into my Orange Terror Bass does a great impression of that sound. A 2-band Stingray would do the trick as well I reckon. There was a Tobias Growler for sale around here recently that had my interest that has an MM pickup in the sweet spot and a very similar body shape too!
[/quote]

GREAT post, thanks for this info. Wow, it's a cheapo? It's a cracking looking, great-sounding bass.

I should be able to get a reasonable approximation of that tone with my Sterling. Unfortunately I don't have Mr Dart's hands, but I'll do my best with my own!

Pity Vulfpeck are only doing London - had they come as far North as Manchester I would've travelled down from Scotland for it, but London's just a bit too far for a gig for me.

A lesson everyone should learn. . . . . it's not the gear!!!

Check out Joe Dart and some of the guys on a different project.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh_dm8m92Kk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh_dm8m92Kk[/url]

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1462088812' post='3040085']
My sax player just text me to let me know Vulfpeck are playing in London in September.
[/quote]

Thanks, just bought tickets for the Saturday!!!

http://axs.com/uk/search?q=Vulfpeck

• 3 months later...

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1462119554' post='3040405']
Thanks, just bought tickets for the Saturday!!!

[url="http://axs.com/uk/search?q=Vulfpeck"]http://axs.com/uk/search?q=Vulfpeck[/url]
[/quote]

sell me your tickets please :) its a sold out show and im dying to go!!!!!!!

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1461883055' post='3038549']
Is this guy the next big bass hero? Only just got into them, after seeing their name being bandied about for months now. Joe's feel, sense of groove and dynamics utterly floored me. Just an upsettingly good player, right up my street and has really inspired me to practice my butt off.
[/quote]

It doesn't upset me. He's a joy to watch. It looks like he's loving every beat. I must try listening without the vid and see if it changes my perception.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1472559649' post='3122085']
No chance :P
[/quote]

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!

I've been working on a new funk band and one tune we're trying to cover at the moment is Beastly. The main bass line sounds so simple but as soon as I started playing it I was stumped by the timing. I think I've got it now, but it's really made me pay attention to his timing. It's just so perfect! I was trying to find other players to inspire me, but I find them all inferior compared to Joe Dart. Am I in love? Is there anyone who can compare?