Why become a member? ×

The HandBox Amplification thread

wateroftyne

5 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

So here's a question for you. My gig cab is a LFSys Monaco that's rated at 600W and it's an absolute keeper. Amp-wise I have a Mesa Subway TT-800 which just about delivers the volume I need for my classic-rock covers band through the 8ohm cab in the larger venues we play.

I'm tempted to sell my R-400 and get a WB-100 but what volume levels am I likely to get from the 120W all-valver relative to my TT-800?

Approximately 4dB worth would be missing in the push comes to shove condition if your cab could take it all. Dunno what the Mesa does into 8 ohm but peak probably enough to stretch it? Say it's the whole 600.

120 tube watts is 120w with extra harmonics relative to lows.

Edited by Downunderwonder
  • Thanks 1

First gig last night with the WB-100. 

It sounded incredible 🤘 Immediately got compliments from the sound guy in check. After we played got a bunch of people asking what the head was, even the guitarist got complimented on how sick his bass tone was 😂

Very happy with the head, absolutely massive sound for a negligible weight. I'll never get bored of seeing the valves glowing away. 

CEE74D64-8FE5-478B-B99E-B62288DA1F35.thumb.jpeg.5b5dbecd1564f4da81a200f97219735c.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

First gig last night with the WB-100. 

It sounded incredible 🤘 Immediately got compliments from the sound guy in check. After we played got a bunch of people asking what the head was, even the guitarist got complimented on how sick his bass tone was 😂

Very happy with the head, absolutely massive sound for a negligible weight. I'll never get bored of seeing the valves glowing away. 

CEE74D64-8FE5-478B-B99E-B62288DA1F35.thumb.jpeg.5b5dbecd1564f4da81a200f97219735c.jpeg

Hey, I recognise that speaker cable! Was cool to see and hear one of these in person. Now to resist the purchase, certainly looked easier to lift than my SVT

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Woody1957 said:

Every time l gig with my R400 l get compliments about my sound and that they can hear every note crystal clear........l'm beginning to think it not the amp but my incredible technuque😂😂

I'm forever hearing comments that its all in the fingers so you might be onto something there.

I sound the same thru any amp i use to be honest. Its just that some amps make me feel better on stage.

Dave

1 hour ago, d-basser said:

Hey, I recognise that speaker cable! Was cool to see and hear one of these in person. Now to resist the purchase, certainly looked easier to lift than my SVT

Haha thanks for letting us use the cabs, they sounded incredible. The SVT weighs a ton but it sounded incredible, really enjoyed it. I do enjoy that i can still play with an all valve head but still manage my head, bass and pedalboard in one trip without putting my back out 🙌

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woody1957 said:

Every time l gig with my R400 l get compliments about my sound and that they can hear every note crystal clear........l'm beginning to think it not the amp but my incredible technuque😂😂

Haha cutting through the mix is a double edged sword, its great people can hear you but unfortunately means you actually have to play the right notes in the right order. 

• Haha 3

So next up on the list of eye wateringly expensive purchases is a cab. Previously I was considering the Barefaced four10 or six10 but I've see a few folks pairing the WB-100 and other similar all valve heads with the Super Twin or Big Baby 2 cabs, anyone here had any experience with them?

I loved my two10 (only ever used it with a GK fusion S) and the singer in the band has a Super Twin which I'm gonna try to get around to trying but just curious to hear thoughts. I'd be pretty tempted by getting 2 Super Compacts/Big Baby cabs so I could use one at home and both for gigs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrDinsdale said:

So next up on the list of eye wateringly expensive purchases is a cab. Previously I was considering the Barefaced four10 or six10 but I've see a few folks pairing the WB-100 and other similar all valve heads with the Super Twin or Big Baby 2 cabs, anyone here had any experience with them?

I loved my two10 (only ever used it with a GK fusion S) and the singer in the band has a Super Twin which I'm gonna try to get around to trying but just curious to hear thoughts. I'd be pretty tempted by getting 2 Super Compacts/Big Baby cabs so I could use one at home and both for gigs.

I use 2 x Super Compacts silver fronts..sound sublime and look great and lighter than your Grannies Handbag....not cheap mind but absolutely worth every penny.

• Like 1

Never tried the Barefaced cabs but they do seem to be well liked on BC.

I have the Mesa Subway 210 and 115 cabs and the WB-100 sounds amazing thru them. I've used as a full rig or with the 115 cab on its own and it impresses with either.

Dave

I have a silver fronted BB2 and WB-100 but the caveat is that my band has been inactive since late 2022 so I haven't had the chance to try them in anger. So the fact they sound great together at house volume levels is unfortunately not relevant!

3 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

I can vouch for the excellent gig performance of my back-up R-400 through 2 x SC3s, so no hesitation in recommending the BF cabs for your WB-100.

However, I've now replaced one of my SC3s with a (FRFR) LFSys Monaco - the best cab I've ever played through and designed/built/sold by BC member Stevie. I'm keeping one SC3 for back-up and bigger gigs but so far the 600W-rated Monaco is all I've needed to use with my main 800W gig amp (a Mesa Subway TT-800).

Doing what I've done will set you back a reasonable £795 for a new Monaco and around £450 for a used SC3 in A1 condition.

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Woody1957 said:

I use 2 x Super Compacts silver fronts..sound sublime and look great and lighter than your Grannies Handbag....not cheap mind but absolutely worth every penny.

Ready for action with my R400 and 2 x SC3.....

gig 3.jpg

gig 2.jpg

Edited by Woody1957
  • Like 2

Thats very good to know, Im leaning toward the 12" versions. I found the 10" sounded great but the lows could be a little hard to control sometimes.

Im not sure I'd need the extra top and bottom end that the BB line provides tbh but then again they sound incredible on demos. The Super Compact/Twin seem like they have the perfect range for clanky rock stuff to sit in the mix nicely. 

3 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

I can vouch for the excellent gig performance of my back-up R-400 through 2 x SC3s, so no hesitation in recommending the BF cabs for your WB-100.

However, I've now replaced one of my SC3s with a (FRFR) LFSys Monaco - the best cab I've ever played through and designed/built/sold by BC member Stevie. I'm keeping one SC3 for back-up and bigger gigs but so far the 600W-rated Monaco is all I've needed to use with my main 800W gig amp (a Mesa Subway TT-800).

Doing what I've done will set you back a reasonable £795 for a new Monaco and around £450 for a used SC3 in A1 condition.

The LFSys sounds awesome although I'd need 2 and that's definitely out of budget! 2nd hand barefaced is much more in line with what I can justify. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now then Handbox brothers, l think l need some advice...my R400 has started clipping. The clip warning light comes on intermitently when l'm using my Barefaced sc's by themselves and together. Ive tried gain up, main volume down and gain down main up but it still comes on on a regular basis...any ideas please? Could it be the pre amp vales are failing? Or am l just pushing it too hard? My main gigging bass is a musicman stingray. Its a 2019 model and is used on a regular basis. Any suggestions would be helpful...thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, Woody1957 said:

Now then Handbox brothers, l think l need some advice...my R400 has started clipping. The clip warning light comes on intermitently when l'm using my Barefaced sc's by themselves and together. Ive tried gain up, main volume down and gain down main up but it still comes on on a regular basis...any ideas please? Could it be the pre amp vales are failing? Or am l just pushing it too hard? My main gigging bass is a musicman stingray. Its a 2019 model and is used on a regular basis. Any suggestions would be helpful...thanks in advance.

If you can't hear any problems, don't worry about it. The light is designed to come on during normal operation. It's an 'I'm here!' light, rather than a warning light.

11 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

If you can't hear any problems, don't worry about it. The light is designed to come on during normal operation. It's an 'I'm here!' light, rather than a warning light.

Cheers mate...it always sounds great tbh. I noticed it coming on a a lot during an outside gig this weekend. I was thinking of calling Watford valves to see if they had lower gain pre valves than the electro harmonix that are fitted.

6 minutes ago, Woody1957 said:

Cheers mate...it always sounds great tbh. I noticed it coming on a a lot during an outside gig this weekend. I was thinking of calling Watford valves to see if they had lower gain pre valves than the electro harmonix that are fitted.

Try putting a 12at7 in the number one slot, that will give a little more headroom as they have lower gain 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Woody1957 said:

pre-amp valves "should" last quite a few yrs. Unless you do have a faulty one which i'm sure would have surfaced before now. 

Have heard that the MM basses can be a very hot signal.

What are your settings on bass and amp ?

Dave