Why become a member? ×

Advice on changing from Markbass to TC Electronic...

lastanthem88

I've used both Tc and Markbass for the kind of gigs you are taking about , and whilst both amps are fantastic , I stick with Mark bass because I find it's a great blank cAnvas for either a natural bass sound or effects/amp modling depending on the style of song I'm playing.

Yes, I should have said the TC amp sounded fine through the One 10. Also, the One 10 dominated if used as an extension cab. I have to conclude that the combo speakers were the weak point for gigging, although adequate for practising.

Edited by DBerriff

Thanks for all the comments here guys. After looking at as many options as I could, I called the Barefaced company for there view also. Not sure who I spoke to but they were incredibly helpful, really took the time to find out what I needed, asked me what strings I use, what bass, pickup config, what amp I use now, how I generally have it set... the knowledge of whoever I spoke too was frightening!

They have actually said that although the One 10's would do the job, for my requirements I'd be better off with a super midget or super compact for what I'm doing.

+10 points for Barefaced on a customer service level, truly brilliant and the guy couldn't help me enough.

ANYWAY..... Looks like I'm going with a either the super midget or the super combo, with possibly a GKMB500 head. Anyone want to weigh in with any more appreciated advice before I take the punt haha!

The Barefaced 12" range does sound different to the 10", and is more HiFi. I was a bit disappointed at first when I got my Super Compact as I had got used to the old school warmth of the One 10. It is a matter of adapting the signal chain and adding a touch of colour in the amp, in my case. Also, the SC came into its own on a recent gig with its clarity and headroom, and should be great when I get back to playing upright. The Barefaced team are far more knowledgeable than I am, and really helpful as you have found. So I would not hesitate in taking their advice, should you go with BF. In the interest of balance, there are of course other excellent options including Genz Benz which I have used as a very dependable and great sounding system (now Genzler).

Edited by DBerriff

I used to play a Markbass LMII through an Aguilar 1x12 (I forget exactly which model) and now I use a TC BH550 through a Barefaced Gen1 Compact. The Markbass rig always sounded a little harsh and aggressive to me whereas my current rig is very full and warm.

I would absolutely go TC head with a BF One10...especially with PA support.

I get plenty of output from mine...especially with the very efficient Barefaced cab. The TC eq is really musical...a small boost of the low mids sounds huge.

As for the Toneprints...I currently use a Windows phone so I'm buggered :D Actually I have the Spectracomp loaded in the first position and set that at 12 o'clock. I think I have a drive sound on position 2 but I never use it.

Very happy with the rig.

[quote name='lastanthem88' timestamp='1460538304' post='3026523']
Thanks Paul - alot of guys tell me that TC power outputs are still very misleading?
[/quote]

They are, at least on the RS series heads. The RS450 is not 450W but something like 236W... however, they are loud, especially if you put it through some efficient speakers. I sold mine after 3 years not because it lacked volume, but because I found amps I liked a lot more. It was my first decent amp, and being so portable made me overlook other aspects at the time. Eventually I found other amps that were as small but sounded a lot better (in my opinion).

So don't worry about the watts too much. It's not a huge difference between 250 and 450W in terms of volume if you have the right speakers anyway. Certainly not if you mostly want a stage monitor.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1460536967' post='3026495']
I used to play a Markbass LMII through an Aguilar 1x12 (I forget exactly which model) and now I use a TC BH550 through a Barefaced Gen1 Compact. The Markbass rig always sounded a little harsh and aggressive to me whereas my current rig is very full and warm.

I would absolutely go TC head with a BF One10...especially with PA support.
[/quote]

The head in the RS210c is an RS series head, which is a very different animal from the BH550, 'though.

I love the Markbass LM3 and find it very warm :lol: but the guitarist in a previous band had a BH550 head with 2x 212 cabs and I have to admit I thought it made very good sounds. Pretty full. I liked that better than my RS450 rig.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1460539990' post='3026544']
The head in the RS210c is an RS series head, which is a very different animal from the BH550, 'though.

I love the Markbass LM3 and find it very warm :lol: but the guitarist in a previous band had a BH550 head with 2x 212 cabs and I have to admit I thought it made very good sounds. Pretty full. I liked that better than my RS450 rig.
[/quote]

Yeah I think it was the Aguilar cab that wasn't to my liking...I am sure the LM3 with a different cab would have been much better.

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1460536511' post='3026490']
The Barefaced 12" range does sound different to the 10", and is more HiFi. I was a bit disappointed at first when I got my Super Compact as I had got used to the old school warmth of the One 10. It is a matter of adapting the signal chain and adding a touch of colour in the amp, in my case. Also, the SC came into its own on a recent gig with its clarity and headroom, and should be great when I get back to playing upright. The Barefaced team are far more knowledgeable than I am, and really helpful as you have found. So I would not hesitate in taking their advice, should you go with BF. In the interest of balance, there are of course other excellent options including Genz Benz which I have used as a very dependable and great sounding system (now Genzler).
[/quote]

That was my initial experience too with the BF BB2, being used to more 'coloured' cabs. You get used to a certain flavour being provided by the cab rather than the bass/amp, and the first experience can be a bit disappointing if you're in a hurry. But very soon you realise what those cabs can sound like.
The Retro series is probably more 'traditional'... I haven't had the chance to try them yet.

[quote name='lastanthem88' timestamp='1460538304' post='3026523']
alot of guys tell me that TC power outputs are still very misleading?
[/quote]

That started on Talkbass and unfortunately got taken up over here. The misleading bit is when people quote the power module rating like it means anything. TC use power modules that are lower power and boost the signal. The RH750 for instance is as loud as any 750 watt amp.

If you like the tone they are as loud as they say.

I use a TC BH550 with a Markbass NY122. I wouldn't worry about anything volume wise. I thought the new BH series were supposed to be genuine wattage anyway? It certainly sounds like a 550watt amp, if not more! It easily crushes the old LittleMark 250 I had. On that note, it's a much clearer and more hi-fi head than the Markbass, which was very refined and warm sounding to my ears. Neither tonally better or worse, I personally just prefer the clarity of the TC.

Edited by 40hz

If you don't mind carrying a bit more for a few gigs (or if it will come out), try using the Markbass amp in the combo to drive the Super Midget. If that sounds great then get a Markbass amp. If you want more warmth, growl, bite, etc then we can advise you on what amp to buy for the best results. Likewise if you need more power.

Hi Alex - just ordered the super midget from a stockist of yours, should be arriving with me tomorrow! I'd have ordered direct but obviously you guys have a small lead time, where as this was next day. The helpful guy I spoke to yesterday on the phone said that lots of guys are using a GKmb500, which gets really good reviews on line - any thoughts on this? Really looking forward to getting my new cab tomorrow anyway, and whilst you are on the staff member I spoke to at your place was incredibly helpful and really explained things to me which helped in more laymans terms. Fantastic customer service!

[quote name='lastanthem88' timestamp='1460550696' post='3026699']
Hi Alex - just ordered the super midget from a stockist of yours, should be arriving with me tomorrow! I'd have ordered direct but obviously you guys have a small lead time, where as this was next day. The helpful guy I spoke to yesterday on the phone said that lots of guys are using a GKmb500, which gets really good reviews on line - any thoughts on this? Really looking forward to getting my new cab tomorrow anyway, and whilst you are on the staff member I spoke to at your place was incredibly helpful and really explained things to me which helped in more laymans terms. Fantastic customer service!
[/quote]

Excellent! Yes, that's a good amp for cleaner sounds - if the MB800 isn't much pricier than I think the extra power is always worth having (as our cabs can do something useful with it). That was me on the phone, so thanks! :)

Hi again Alex - ah fantastic, thank you so much for the help, nice talking to you and honestly the advice was much appreciated. Obviously it was ten mins well spent as Ive gone ahead and ordered the next day, so hopefully that helps make talking to someone who hasn't got a scooby doo about amp heads a little more bareable!

Alex (or anyone else who cares to answer) one more thing - lots of guys speaking volumes on the Tec Amp Puma 500. Would this be a suitable 'partner' for the super midget?

Hilarious moment by the way when I phoned the music store and said.... 'Hi, do you have a barefaced midget in stock...?' I only realised afterwards how this might sound to the uneducated ear!!!

[quote name='lastanthem88' timestamp='1460550696' post='3026699']
lots of guys are using a GKmb500, which gets really good reviews on line - any thoughts on this?
[/quote]

Just be careful if, like me, you have big fat fingers! I found it very frustrating to use the GK MB800 (big brother to the 500) as the controls are very close together and easily knocked while trying to adjust an adjacent one.

In the end it got so annoying I sold it, although I quite liked the tone from the amp through my Barefaced cab...

BIG thanks to all those who have replied and helped me out with my choice here, and huge thumbs up to the Barefaced company for being so helpful.

My Super Midget arrived today, along with my GK MB500 head... I'm blown away by how light and loud this cab is, and the tones I've got so far are great for me.

Just to help others who are thinking of buying, measurements are one thing but seeing things together always helps me in terms of perspective! Here's my trusty Markbass CMD102P right next to my new EVEN MORE lightweight and compact rig.

[attachment=216982:12993511_10154467335757580_6631430811467281657_n.jpg]