Why become a member? ×

Why is it...

Marvin

It's not just us bassists who do that, our guitarist often announces a song and then plays the intro to a different one. The trick is not to join in until he's finished the intro, as he might play the one he called, or the one he started!

Had an absolute nightmare a long time ago when the singer started to introduce the next song " Midnight Blues " which starts with the bass riff, and I was supposed to start it gently as he introduced it.. Couldn't remember the riff for the life of me. Frantically trying to attract the guitarist's attention which I did eventually as the singer waffled and he started it instead. Soon as I heard it, it was fine. Singer then comes in in the wrong place anyway.

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1460212077' post='3023704']
Had an absolute nightmare a long time ago when the singer started to introduce the next song " Midnight Blues " which starts with the bass riff, and I was supposed to start it gently as he introduced it.. Couldn't remember the riff for the life of me. Frantically trying to attract the guitarist's attention which I did eventually as the singer waffled and he started it instead. Soon as I heard it, it was fine. Singer then comes in in the wrong place anyway.
[/quote]

Great song, we do it too, love that riff :)

Why is it that after working on a set list for a gig the singer then changes this halfway through? I'd understand if it were due to having to change tack due to audience conditions (not wanting to lose the dance floor with a slow song) but often its cos she just fancies singing something else. Keys/guitars have to rapidly change sounds for the song and the drummer, despite being asked to be conscious of this just goes 1-2-3-4 and off we stumble...

Why is it that the drummer never remembers to check if everyone is ready to go before the song starts? Its not normally an issue for me (no pedals or such) but the keys is often missing from the first few chords as the drummer is so hyped up he can't seem to remember to wait. Every once in a while he is reminded - he says sure no worries - moment he gets on stage he becomes incommunicado.

Even better when the singer (as one I worked with did) not only completely disregards the set list, but insists on doing songs that we have already done, and then asks the audience 'have we done so and so?' and when they say yes, she would then tell them to f*ck off! And that was a proper pro, though i did wonder about her having a large glass of wine in each hand :)

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1460228788' post='3023918']
Even better when the singer (as one I worked with did) not only completely disregards the set list, but insists on doing songs that we have already done, and then asks the audience 'have we done so and so?' and when they say yes, she would then tell them to f*ck off! And that was a proper pro, though i did wonder about her having a large glass of wine in each hand :)
[/quote]
Funny. I like her spirit :-)

We had a girl singer who jumped in and joined a fight going on in the crowd during a song. She went for the security guy who was ejecting a friend of hers. We just carried on playing. She got back onstage after about 30 seconds of punching and kicking and carried on.

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1460204542' post='3023584']It's those moments just before a song starts when you can't even fathom which key it's supposed to be in that get me.[/quote]

That came back to haunt me this evening - singer forgot to capo his guitar when starting Like A Hurricane, so even though I did remember in time, we had a car crash of different keys.

Oops.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1460208369' post='3023649']

Exactly what I do. A list, with the first note of each number before the title. Bandmates are baffled by this as they think I've wrongly written the key of the song. it works though - if we all start on the right note there's a fair chance the other notes will follow. ;)
[/quote]
Great idea , the ones that used to get me were songs that ended on a different note like Pretty Woman for instance , I'd be playing through the song knowing it ended differently trying to remember what the bloody note was going to be

I had trouble with remembering the bass line for "Long Train Running" for a while, generally got it going properly halfway through the first verse. "Dancing in the Moonlight" has caught me out too.

When I was with the ceilidh band, I could never remember what tune was what. I knew the key so I'd just busk it - I did recognise the tune when it started and have some sort of basic pattern I would use for said tune but that was it.