Why become a member? ×

Soundcloud moan

I looked everywhere for the upload section.
I had to find it the Google way .
Most of the page is telling me to go pro for £4
A month.

I probably will eventually. When I upload a short track (13 .29mb) it is taking forever.
My internet connection ( using my Mac mini ) isn't very good today . No idea why.
Plus my computer needs a lot of stuff to be removed . When I get another external h d I'll do that .
This uploading malarkey is so slow and tedious.
Don't know what's doing it to be honest.

Rant over

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1459706941' post='3018807']...
This uploading malarkey is so slow and tedious.
Don't know what's doing it to be honest...
[/quote]

It may not be relevant, but it may be worth pointing out that ADSL connections (our common 'broadband'...) has differing performance for up- and down-load. The upload speed is typically less than 10% of the download speed. It's not a problem, that's quite simply normal, and part of how it works. The same file taking 5 minutes to download could easily take an hour to upload. There are other technologies that have symmetrical up-and down-load speeds, but they're not typically found domestically.
Just sayin'.

So not really a moan about SoundCloud... but your home internet speed.

I have a fairly standard home connection (TalkTalk) and it takes about 10 minutes or less to upload a 50-60Gb file to SoundCloud. Not trying to rub salt in the wound here; just saying that it shouldn't be taking anywhere near as long as you're reporting.

Contact your Internet provider and give them some stick :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1459760994' post='3019187']
So not really a moan about SoundCloud... but your home internet speed.

I have a fairly standard home connection (TalkTalk) and it takes about 10 minutes or less to upload a 50-60Gb file to SoundCloud. Not trying to rub salt in the wound here; just saying that it shouldn't be taking anywhere near as long as you're reporting.

Contact your Internet provider and give them some stick :)
[/quote]

50 - 60 gb?
What are you uploading?
Plans for the death star?

[quote name='ribbetingfrog' timestamp='1459761779' post='3019200']
50 - 60 gb?
What are you uploading?
Plans for the death star?
[/quote]

Haha! Well spotted. Thats should be Mb :D

...although I have uploaded multiple Gb to SoundCloud when swapping stems for projects (like building Death Stars).

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1459762715' post='3019215']
The upload button is where it's always been, at the top of the screen.

With regard to upload slowness, I had a similar problem last year. It was my router. I got a new one from Amazon, which cost about £20.
[/quote]

It doesn't seem to be for a non subscriber like myself . Could it be a Mac thing ?

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1459778542' post='3019493']

It doesn't seem to be for a non subscriber like myself . Could it be a Mac thing ?
[/quote]

I use a Mac too, don't know maybe it is cos you're not a subscriber, but I don't remember the layout being any different when I was just a free user.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1459762374' post='3019209']
Will let you know later. The soundcloud app is rubbish also IMHO . Looking for the upload section is difficult , when before it was was easy .
[/quote]

What's this "SoundCloud App" you are talking about? Are you not accessing SoundCloud through your normal web browser?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1459781612' post='3019542']
What's this "SoundCloud App" you are talking about? Are you not accessing SoundCloud through your normal web browser?
[/quote]

I find the web version *fairly* straightforward - I'm not such a fan of the iOS app.

According to the OP he's on a Mac Mini so AFAIK there shouldn't be any "app" and certainly nothing using iOS.

OT. IME unless it has been designed first and foremost to run under iOS I find the browser version on a proper computer to be superior to the "app" version for pretty much everything.

Just reading this again. Are you trying to upload via the app ? I have to agree the app is rubbish, it's recently been redesigned and is better than it was though, but still rubbish.

I don't think you can upload via the app, I certainly can't see how via my iPhone. You can use it to promote tracks via Twitter and Facebook, and search and listen to tracks, but that's about it.

Edited by ambient

Uploading at unsociable times of the day can help. Many broadband packages offer only a theoretical maximum download and upload rate - the contention is the important thing,as you are usually sharing a fixed capacity with other users in your immediate vicinity. At busy times of day, you can struggle to get anywhere near the rates you might expect.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1459804967' post='3019925']
I'm on the free package (not for long - I have 1 min of upload left with 2 tracks plus April's challenge to upload) and I get the upload button still. Maybe you've gone over the 2 hours limit for a free account?
[/quote]

That's something I thought of, but you will still see the upload button, you just can't click on it. I keep going over my limit, and keep having to delete stuff.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1460306274' post='3024531']
Here is a pic,of what I'm falling about;)
I will go subscribe eventually. ( www.soundcloud.com/stream)
I will try www. Upload etc, and see if I can get in that way. BTW, I was just gonna upload something and I had to restart my Mac, as Bt was playing up again;)
[/quote]

I don't know, it's odd isn't it ?

I've been subscribing for sometime, so I can't remember how I used to upload.

I think I pay £3 a month to subscribe, so it's worth it.