Why become a member? ×

NBD Maruszczyk Content

ezbass

It's been a tense couple of days watching the FedEx tracker, but the new beast has landed! :D

It's a [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Maruszczyk Elwood L custom build. The specs are:[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Chambered alder J style body with flame maple top; satin finish[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3 over 1 MM style headstock[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]41mm nut width[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]33" scale length[/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]Maple neck with lined ebony fingerboard[/color][/font]
Bassculture MM style p/up
Passive electronics (vol, tone, 3 way selector [series/parallel/single coil])
Black hardware inc D Tuner
Weight approx 6lbs

So it's a Jazz meets Stingray or, if you will, a Stingjay or 'Jay bass :)

:useless:

OK, OK.

[url="http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/P1100441_zpsvyo33ci3.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/P1100443_zpsl3ly0dvd.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/P1100440_zps1jk0buz1.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/P1100442_zpseocby5kh.jpg.html"][/url]

It has a really nice mid-centric tone in series (as you'd expect) with the parallel and single coil tones being quieter and lighter in tone (both very similar). There is potential for the adding of an active circuit, but I'm (currently) a big fan of passive. The neck is slim which belies its P/'Ray nut width; really easy to play. A touch head heavy on the knee, but perfectly balanced on the strap.

Adrian at Public-Peace told me he has made a video of it and, as soon as that is available, I'll post it here.

Right enough of this, I'm off for more playing action!

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1459428126' post='3016455']
I have to admit, I'd have loved to have seen a video of Adrian demonstrating mine the way it was set up when it arrived...
"And that's the sound!"
*crunch* *buzz* *ping* Buzz* *ffffffffzzzz*
[/quote]The action on mine was a little lower than I normally have straight out of the box, but even after just a couple of hours it's settling down more towards my normal height. I'll tweak it later tonight or tomorrow.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1459427000' post='3016430']
Look at that :o

Bet that's damn parpy with the pickup positioned there...

Great score :)

Bet it feels worth the wait now...
[/quote]Yes, very MM like, although it's a bit closer to bridge due to the scale reduction.

TBH 10/11 weeks is nothing; I bow down to your amazing patience with your builds.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1459452707' post='3016839']
Love the muted finish on this.
[/quote]Yeah, me too and Mrs Ez (she rarely comments on these things, so that's a big thumbs up in reality). The satin finish makes it less blingy and coffee table like whilst still being a nice piece of timber.

I fitted some EB cobalt flatwounds today and adjusted the set up, now it's spot on :) . I can hardly wait to use it in anger.

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1459621354' post='3018172']
I'd love a Precision style (Jake?) with that finish. Really nice.
[/quote]All things are possible it seems and therein lies the danger with these guys :D

Its a small detail but i love the way the bass controls are sunken into the body. Details like that remind me of Martin Peterson (Sei) basses. My Elwood has such an impeccable finish. Details like foam in the truss rod adjustment hole. The screws that hold the body to the neck are drilled to hold specially made washers and screws. These basses are very well made. Ive been a huge Lakland Skyline fan, and had a 55-02 for a while. Loved it. But these instruments are better, and cheaper. My Elwood is 3.9 KG's.

Im having an Aguilar obp3 stack knob installed and this Jazz bass is going to me a Monster. Bartolini's also.

Incredible basses at twice the price. no doubt.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1459632025' post='3018289']
Incredible basses at twice the price. no doubt.
[/quote]

Unless you get a chimped one like mine. Oh well. After me trying to get it better and the music shop trying to get it better to the point of fitting a shim I'm going to find a good local luthier to get the damn thing to play right. Shame because the pickups are great and the neck feels great, it's just either buzz or 12 miles off the fretboard currently so it's an ornament :(

Anyway, I'll stop bringing everyone's day down. I'm exceptionally glad yours was really good and Ezbass's.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1459761678' post='3019197']

Unless you get a chimped one like mine. Oh well. After me trying to get it better and the music shop trying to get it better to the point of fitting a shim I'm going to find a good local luthier to get the damn thing to play right. Shame because the pickups are great and the neck feels great, it's just either buzz or 12 miles off the fretboard currently so it's an ornament :(

Anyway, I'll stop bringing everyone's day down. I'm exceptionally glad yours was really good and Ezbass's.
[/quote]

Presumably you've given Adrian a chance to sort it out - what did he say?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1459765882' post='3019260']
Presumably you've given Adrian a chance to sort it out - what did he say?
[/quote]

I haven't, and don't see the point given what happened over the refret thing in the club thread and that was a visible issue, rather than this.

I'm going to take it to a luthier and get it sorted myself. Once that's done I'm hoping my grump will go away because it is lovely and I want to be in love with it rather than feel sad when I play it.

I don't want to send it back, I just want it to play properly.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1459767122' post='3019283']
I haven't, and don't see the point given what happened over the refret thing in the club thread and that was a visible issue, rather than this.

I'm going to take it to a luthier and get it sorted myself. Once that's done I'm hoping my grump will go away because it is lovely and I want to be in love with it rather than feel sad when I play it.

[/quote]

OK. I think it's pretty unfair to go on about it unless you've given him a chance to respond.

If you give him a chance, and nothing comes of it, then of course that's a different matter.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1459767368' post='3019294']
OK. I think it's pretty unfair to go on about it unless you've given him a chance to respond.

If you give him a chance, and nothing comes of it, then of course that's a different matter.
[/quote]

That's a fair point. I'll not mention it again.

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1459767122' post='3019283']

[/quote]Send it back and get it sorted, I know it's a nuisance, but it's what needs to happen. If it isn't right, it needs to be rectified by the manufacturer, or at least the work needs to be paid for if it is done locally.

Edited by ezbass

I do not know Adrian's Policy on that but I seriously doubt he is gonna be happy paying for work of somebody he doesn't know in the UK.

On the other hand i am completely sure if the bass has a problem he would be happy to sort it out. I would seriously advise to call him.

I know some other manufacturers completely VOID their warranty if somebody does work on their instrument with being pre-aproved ...

proceed with caution ...

and I completely agree : send it back and get in touch ...

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread about your wonderful bass Ez.....

In that case the warranty will be void at this point. However, sending it back involves the following:

1) week transport back to them... with additional transport woes on the neck, body etc
2) however long to fix depending on their schedule
3) week transport back to me... with additional transport woes on the neck, body etc
4) Another setup to help combat the transport issues.

You might consider me a nutter but I'd rather take it to a luthier I know has done good work for people, pay for it myself and then have it there, done and eat the cost myself.

Despite my complaints, I played it yesterday after I got home and I *DO* love it. it sounds amazing, the neck is wonderful, barring the buzz/action issues (which are lessened but still very much there) and it looks phenomenal....

I don't think I can cope with having it out of my hands for that long in all honesty.

So I'm done with complaining about it, I'm just going to get it sorted and once it is I'm going to play the hell out of it,