Why become a member? ×

NBD Maruszczyk Content

ezbass

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1459868410' post='3020399']
Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread about your wonderful bass Ez.....
[/quote]Not at all, it's good to get some balance. I'm sorry that yours hasn't been great from the get go, I know I'd be rather deflated if it was me (I speak from experience here, many years ago with a different luthier who 'built' a guitar for me; a complete bust). I really hope you get it playing the way you want soon.

I know I haven't posted any sounds yet, but I've been playing along with some tracks at home and I can report that the tracks where its tone sounds most like the original are ones featuring old MM basses (Pino - Stingray; Tony Levin - Cutlass). It's nice to have the parallel and single coil option, but I don't see me using them very often to be fair, the series setting is just 'right'.

I opened up the control cavity the other day and, as I suspected, there's an absolute tone room available should I decide to fit a 2 band EQ down the road.

[quote name='Mister RLP' timestamp='1459875613' post='3020506']
Lovely bass. How does it compare with the Rob Allen?
[/quote]A very different beast, definitely an 'electric' fretless bass as opposed to the more 'acoustic', 'upright' tone of the RA. The playing experience is also different due to the wrapped LaBellas vs the EB Cobalts. This is a good thing, as it means I have 2 fretless basses that do very different things and I don't have to EQ the living day lights out of the RA to make it sound more solid bodied when I play it in a pop/rock scenario.

Looking forward to hearing it when you post up the sounds. Very tempted to follow suit. Sold my fretless earlier this year and miss that sound! Love the sound of MM but they are too heavy. RA are beautiful but not an option. Wal - in my dreams...though would like to try a fretless Wal to see what they are like.

Mine hasn't missed a beat since I got it to be honest. It came with super low action and too light of a gauge string for me but they are drops in the ocean when considering how good it sounds, feels and plays.

I'd order another one in a heart beat. I've seen a Jake with T-bird pickups that looks pretty dangerous

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1459765882' post='3019260']
Presumably you've given Adrian a chance to sort it out - what did he say?
[/quote]

I know Adrian since 2006 and I 'd bet, if he would know about the Issue with your new Bass he would be the First to say "send it back" and we'll fix it until you're satisfied for about 100%. I guess that is for sure.

Edited by AREA

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1459878110' post='3020535']
Mine hasn't missed a beat since I got it to be honest. It came with super low action and too light of a gauge string for me but they are drops in the ocean when considering how good it sounds, feels and plays.

I'd order another one in a heart beat. I've seen a Jake with T-bird pickups that looks pretty dangerous
[/quote]

That Jake with TBird pickups does look awesome, not quite keen on the neck, but the body is awesome!
I too would order again as mine has been great out the box, this setup issue does seem to be an anomaly.
Either way, it will get sorted and the stealth tank will be an awesome bass :)

Si

OK this is my first attempt using garageband and I had to use my guitar amp as an input device, therefore there's a bit of breakup, which I was trying to avoid. It's all using the pickup in series, tone rolled off a bit. Some nice 'n cheesy chestnuts, plus a bit of walking at the end.

https://soundcloud.com/ezbass-1/maruzsczyk-elwoodl

A photo of the beast actually being played to give an idea of the proportions (I'm 6') and an excuse for a selfie :D

[URL=http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/P1000107_zpsao0kjuuc.jpg.html][IMG]http://i308.photobucket.com/albums/kk344/ezbass/P1000107_zpsao0kjuuc.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1460044230' post='3022064']
A photo of the beast actually being played to give an idea of the proportions (I'm 6') and an excuse for a selfie :D

[url="http://s308.photobucket.com/user/ezbass/media/P1000107_zpsao0kjuuc.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

I love the T-shirt. The bass looks pretty cool too.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1460065716' post='3022374']

I love the T-shirt.
[/quote]Me too. I glimpsed it in the advertising sidebar on Facebook and just had to have it. I've wanted one since originally watching OGWT in the '70s. It was from DJTees, they have a lot of cool, rock T shirts (I couldn't resist a retro Rush one either :) ).

I've learnt a little more about recording with Garageband and have re-recorded my earlier attempt, avoiding the distortion and have added some longer parts.

https://soundcloud.com/ezbass-1/maruszczyk-elwood-l-custom

• 4 weeks later...

Adrian has just put this demo of my Elwood L on YouTube

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qn6YPq2Zdc[/media]

I think it sounds even better now it has the EB Cobalt Flatwounds on it.