Why become a member? ×

Fair & Festival Season 2016

blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459378711' post='3016083']
It's really tough for some bands especially those that won't accept how the game is played.

It's a big deal here in Milwaukee to be booked for Summerfest. I hear bands saying we have to practice and practice so we can get in.

They don't know that no matter how good they are if you don't know anyone your not going to play Summerfest.

Blue
[/quote]

I didn't say I don't play the game, but I don't have to like it, nor find it anything less than artistically reprehensible - when (IMHO) mediocre bands get good gigs because they know someone at the venue/festival organising committee. I feel like I'm cheating people by asking for favours to get us on bills and in venues because it doesn't feel like we're there on our own merits, which in my opinion is how it should be.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1459360545' post='3015838']
Apart form that, I'm playing at a few of the rootsier festivals - Beverley Festival, Music on the Marr, Clennell Hall... always good fun.
[/quote]
I will be at Beverley, let me know when you are on and I will stock up on ripe tomatoes☺

Our band are playing our first ever outdoor festival this year, though we played (indoors) as part of Sheffield Tramlines fest last year.
We're way down the bill, but at least we're above the Bouncy Castle! (we're the Badass Weeds, btw)

http://www.greenmeadowsfestival.org/line-up-3/

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1459413946' post='3016229']

I didn't say I don't play the game, but I don't have to like it, nor find it anything less than artistically reprehensible - when (IMHO) mediocre bands get good gigs because they know someone at the venue/festival organising committee. I feel like I'm cheating people by asking for favours to get us on bills and in venues because it doesn't feel like we're there on our own merits, which in my opinion is how it should be.
[/quote]

That's the way it should be, but that's not real life, at least not in The States.

The kid in a sh*t band who's father is on some board of directors that sponsors a festival gets the gig before the a real good band can get in on their musical merrit.

I don't like it either , but its the way it is.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1459411548' post='3016192']
Normally target a few. Stay away from the free ones, which altho they can be ok, paying bands decent rates isn't high on their list.
Around here, you could probably knock out quite a few for that reason.
[/quote]

I also say stay away from festivals that want your services for free.

First learn there is no such thing as exposure, not anymore. 2nd there are other vendors that are getting paid but not the bands. Over the years so many bands have agreed to play for free promoters don't think they have to pay bands.

Third, they prey on young inexperienced bands.

Don't let a charity organization take advantage of your band.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1459433784' post='3016550']
Our band are playing our first ever outdoor festival this year, though we played (indoors) as part of Sheffield Tramlines fest last year.
We're way down the bill, but at least we're above the Bouncy Castle! (we're the Badass Weeds, btw)

http://www.greenmeadowsfestival.org/line-up-3/
[/quote]

Cool, well at least your on the bill.

Blue

Edited by blue

A few things to think about with festivals.

You should be getting paid. The organizers should make things easy and pleasant for the bands. Good stage management,lights, sound and good backline should be provided.

Be suspicious of festivals that make things hard for a band to get on stage. If you get one of these letters with a laundry list of things the band can't do. Tell the organizers to get bent, unless they're paying big bucks.

Time slots are important too. In the States a 12 noon time slot on a week day, even at the HUGE festivals you'll only be playing to a handful of people.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1459337576' post='3015531']
what's an aggressive offer? A generous one might have more chance of success!

I play a load of beer festivals, folk festivals, punk festivals, indoor and out. They're all usually fun. I don't think we've got anything massive though. We'll probably play to audiences of 500 or so
[/quote]

Aggresive means generous. I don't know but I would bet there's close to a million in employee payroll alone for 1 McCartney show.

Blue

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1459338160' post='3015544']
Not much, waiting to hear back from some things. Definitely doing a beer festival in June, that should be a good laugh. Won't say more until more details are finalised though. In true "it's not what you know" fashion which this industry seems to operate by, I know the guy who's organising the music for it because I played a gig for him before, and I got that gig because my wife knows him and namedropped us to him.
[/quote]

Stay in contact, don't get blind sided. Stay on that guys radar until he gives you a date.

Blue

[quote name='crez5150' timestamp='1459339274' post='3015567']
We just got confirmed for The Brentwood Festival which is nice an local for a change.

[url="http://brentwoodfestival.co.uk/"]http://brentwoodfestival.co.uk/[/url]
[/quote]

Nice!

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1459448989' post='3016775']
A few things to think about with festivals.

You should be getting paid. The organizers should make things easy and pleasant for the bands. Good stage management,lights, sound and good backline should be provided.

Be suspicious of festivals that make things hard for a band to get on stage. If you get one of these letters with a laundry list of things the band can't do. Tell the organizers to get bent, unless they're paying big bucks.

Time slots are important too. In the States a 12 noon time slot on a week day, even at the HUGE festivals you'll only be playing to a handful of people.

Blue
[/quote]

Agree about time slots and last on a saturday night at a beer festival when people have been drinking all day isn't always the best slot.
It really depends how good the organisation is... what sort of stage or event security as even a 1000 people can be a nightmare
if things kick-off....and it only needs a very small number in that group to have things go very wrong.

Price-wise... HAS to be well run and pay better than pub work....but too many festivals don't or can't budget for bands properly.
Around here, it is pretty easy to know which those festivals are by the bands that play them...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1459450985' post='3016809']

Agree about time slots and last on a saturday night at a beer festival when people have been drinking all day isn't always the best slot.
It really depends how good the organisation is... what sort of stage or event security as even a 1000 people can be a nightmare
if things kick-off....and it only needs a very small number in that group to have things go very wrong.

Price-wise... HAS to be well run and pay better than pub work....but too many festivals don't or can't budget for bands properly.
Around here, it is pretty easy to know which those festivals are by the bands that play them...
[/quote]

Agreed,

I will say our Summerfest ( largest music fest in the world since 1969) has their sh*t together for bands.

1. You get a contract
2. All the necessary clearance documentation
3.Separate entrence for band vehicles as well as free parking
4. Large black econo vans take the band to the stage and back
5. Separate van for gear
6.Ecellent backline, I usually get an SVT,8 10s
7. Pro stage managers
8. Large dressing rooms with bathrooms
9. Food & drink

Blue

All the local festivals have pretty much the same bands, just in a different running order. The slightly larger festivals tend to book big name bands I've never heard of.

As a punter they don't interest me. And none of the bands I've been in, as is the case for so many others, have known the right people to get on the bill...it all gets stale and dull after a while.