Why become a member? ×

Mick and boys in Havana...

oldbass

Great pictures.

http://news.sky.com/story/1666704/hola-havana-rolling-stones-fly-into-cuba

As old as the hills and they look it but,...they've still got it albeit in a kinda dicrepit sort of way...and love the way Charlie watts always looks like he doesn't really wanna be there....ha

Love em.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1458902732' post='3011955']
It seems very fashionable to take the piss out of the Stones, but I hope I'm still gigging at their age
[/quote]

Its Ok. I grew up with them and I've got all their records. Have a nice day.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1458902732' post='3011955']
It seems very fashionable to take the piss out of the Stones, but I hope I'm still gigging at their age
[/quote]

People always take the piss out of our institutions. Actually, the Stones often take the piss out of themselves - well not Mick so much, now he's joined the establishment with his knighthood.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1458905628' post='3011994']
People always take the piss out of our institutions. Actually, the Stones often take the piss out of themselves - well not Mick so much, now he's joined the establishment with his knighthood.
[/quote]yeah Keef doesn't seem to take himself too seriously an admirable quality I always think

[quote name='ians' timestamp='1458907787' post='3012025']
Blimey!
Im a Stones fan,OK..my comment was based on a positive affectionate observation....you guys need to lighten up big time OK!
[/quote]not wishing to get into an argument here but I think you need to lighten up, my original post was not aimed at you but to a lot of comments that criticise the Stones for not calling it a day

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1458935162' post='3012306']
The Stones (& Quo) come in for an awful lot of slagging off - (as do the Beatles)-
I do get the feeling that some folk are pi**ed off by success - these bands are (arguably)
as big as it gets, and that annoys.....
....so go for it....do better.....
....away you go.....

:yarr:
[/quote]

It's all jealousy. Say what you want, but none of the bands the younger generations like will have a catalog of work like McCartney or The Stones nor will they be selling out 45 thousand seat venues in their 70s.

These guys figured it out, accept it for what it is or be a sour grape.

You don't like or appreciate what The Stones and Beatles have contributed to pop music,too bad.

Blue

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1458906587' post='3012008']
yeah Keef doesn't seem to take himself too seriously an admirable quality I always think
[/quote]

No he doesn't seem to. He's one of the few that gets it.

His intros are the back drop of my generation.

What a cool guy.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1458949395' post='3012442']
It's all jealousy. Say what you want, but none of the bands the younger generations like will have a catalog of work like McCartney or The Stones nor will they be selling out 45 thousand seat venues in their 70s.
[/quote]

While I agree with all that, I do wonder if it's because they just happened to be the first to occupy that 'niche'? Any other bands would find it hard or impossible to compete so they are pretty much forced to find something else and - as history has shown - nothing else is quite so popular and enduring. In other words, if we hadn't had the Fabs and the Stones we'd still have bands like them right up there.

Mind you, while it's fun to speculate and pontificate (or even academically study!) such things, the best thing IMO is to just enjoy their music!

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1458990591' post='3012625']

While I agree with all that, I do wonder if it's because they just happened to be the first to occupy that 'niche'? Any other bands would find it hard or impossible to compete so they are pretty much forced to find something else and - as history has shown - nothing else is quite so popular and enduring. In other words, if we hadn't had the Fabs and the Stones we'd still have bands like them right up there.

Mind you, while it's fun to speculate and pontificate (or even academically study!) such things, the best thing IMO is to just enjoy their music!
[/quote]

The business was different for The Stones and McCartney, Back then record companies allowed artist to grow abd develop their craft. That doesn't happen anymore.

Blue

I heard a sound bite on 6music this morning! Grrrrreat!

At the risk of being slightly controversial, I thought the Pope's comment as reported in the weekend papers was quite unchristian. Surely getting to see the Stones in Cuba is a highly spiritual event that would rival any religious holiday... Easter included.

An example to us all. Cheers boys.
John