Why become a member? ×

What effects?

badass1

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Hi all,[/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]I am thinking of venturing into the world of effects for my bass, which is a Status Graphite series 2000 5.[/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive]My stack is a Laney DB300 head, 2x10,2x15. I like all genres but my main love is rock.[/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Can anyone advise me on the type of peddles I need and the manufacturers? [/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Many thanks,[/font]

[font=comic sans ms,cursive]Badass1. [/font]

As you sound like you're totally new to fx, I would recommend looking at a multi fx unit from Line 6 or Zoom.
This way you'll find out which fx do what & can then decide what type of fx you want if you go down the single pedal routes.

If you want to go down the individual pedal route, then it would make sense to buy 2nd hand so you can sell all the lovely light up bricks & just keep the ones you actually use.
No one can give a "Right" answer, because it's down to You on what you want to sound like & there are countless great pedal manufacturers, from mainstream like Boss & Electro Harmonix to boutique like Zvex, Emma & Moog.

How long have you got? Everybody will have a different take on this.

My first question, as someone who was pedal free for 2 decades, would be why do you NEED pedals? Correction? Texture? Fill out sound when guiturd player takes a solo?

I think the multi unit suggestion is a wise one. You can then tinker around and decide which you want, and if you then want to buy better dedicated units. The only effect I would say is really needed for rock is gain/drive, but even then only a slight breakup. And even then, if you have 2 guitars maybe completely clean woould work better with no effects at all.

I've got a zoom B1on, only about £40, you can spend hours messing about with it, finished up just using 3 settings, all variations on the overdrive setting with EQ, slight overdrive most of the time, a Stranglers setting, bit more overdrive, and a Motorhead setting, a lot of overdrive lol, but it really does practically everything, but in the end I finished up deciding bass players don't really need a load of effects. I play in a punk covers band btw

It's probably worth stopping this now, simply because you're going to get a bujillion different opinions.
Firstly, you don't 'need' pedals, they should be introduced for a particular reason.
So, what exactly are you trying to achieve tonally? What bands are you in? Any recordings we can listen to etc?

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1458905831' post='3011998']
It's probably worth stopping this now, simply because you're going to get a bujillion different opinions.
Firstly, you don't 'need' pedals, they should be introduced for a particular reason.
So, what exactly are you trying to achieve tonally? What bands are you in? Any recordings we can listen to etc?

Si
[/quote]

This. You don't "need" pedals. Is there a sound that you want to make that you are currently not able to?

My two penneth:

I suspect with a Status you have a very clean sound for which you might want to investigate dirtying up a bit for rock. In which case an overdrive/distortion would be good - the tone here is hugely subjective and can get expensive so perhaps a Behringer BDI21 would be a good start. Chorus works well for rock in quieter/melodic passages so take a look at those too.

visog

It's always good to try new sounds. If you want more "roar" from you bass, then i can recomment you this bass muff
http://www.amazon.com/Electro-Harmonix-Bass-Muff-Distortion-Pedal/dp/B001C1A6CI
And this crybaby sound amazing
https://gb.muzyczny.pl/118056_Dunlop-105Q-Cry-Baby-Bass-Wah-Effect.html
But if you can, then buy multieffect. It's the best idea. :)