Why become a member? ×

Small band PA system

lojo

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1458985766' post='3012565']
OK they are expensive tops but they remove the need for subs unless you are a Motorhead tribute act
[/quote]

If manufacturers and outlets wrote stuff like this instead of technical jargon , the world would be so much simpler

Thanks for all the replies

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1459160931' post='3013905']
I've never used Yamaha kit, but a friend who did a lot of hire from his shop swore by it - said it was basically solid & idiot proof.

:)
[/quote]this is very true, well apart from idiot proof, I wouldn't trust our singer to set it up :) but our EMX 512 is very light and compact and given us not trouble at all in about 5 years, good enough for pub gigs

Although expensive, the HK Elements systems are good. Scalable, so you can take out what you need for the venue size. These mini line array plus sub systems are the PA equivalent of our class D/lightweight rigs. I run Fohhn LX150s + subs. Highly recommend it, but a bit pricey.

Edited by Dan Dare

my PA is a Peavey XR1212 ..I find the auto eq really handy & there are two great tuition videos on You tube on how to use it properly , This powers two peavey UL 12" These were there top of the range stuff , The active cross over feeds a Alto 15" active sub , & two Alto 12" monitors , At second hand prices you would have a very flexible system .

Lots of good advice already.

I'm a big fan of the active full range tops + passive desk approach. Easily fits in a modest sized hatchback and we're finding that a lot of recent wedding venues have quite Conservative decibel restrictions so for us, its just not worth the considerable extra bulk and expense of having subs + tops.

We're running Yamaha DXR15s, Allen and heath zed60 14fx desk and thomann the box A12 monitors. Vocals, e drums, bass and guitar all go through this. If we had a bigger budget we woukd get tops with 15 inch drivers + 3 or 4 inch voice coil like those rcf 745s.that said the Yamaha DXR15s have been great and only cost us £850 for the pair as a minty 2nd hand purchase. The monitors have pole mounts so could be used as a backup in the event that one of the tops went pop.

I may or may not have had a hand in sunburstjazz1967's setup. ;)

Those RCF 735/745s really are great, you never struggle for vocal volume and the woofers are beefy enough to take a fair amount of punishment, including some pushed kick drum. All in a package which really are quite portable and in most situations, are great even without subs. These things really kick out far more bass than most tops in plastic cases that I have ever used. They will easily keep up with your standard 12 tops/15 sub set up. Easily.

Those mini array systems? In comparison, rubbish.

I did the sound for a band I depped for a couple of weeks back - with Mackie 450 tops and a couple of RCF 705s. Nothing particularly exciting about the front of house but I did take my smaller digital mixer with me. Being able to gate and compress the kick drum for starters makes a massive difference... suddenly turns a floppy flap into a proper kick thump that gives the band some energy. Again, compressed vocals and powerful EQ makes the vocals sound light and airy as opposed to boxy and flat, with compressed mixes going to my inear rack that I let the band use... it was a big revelation to them as to how their PA could sound. In fact, even with a PA like that - which isn't super money by comparison, you can put the whole band through and have a much, much better sound out front. Everything just sits right and there's no fighting in the mix...

And as mentioned before, the 31 band EQ is a Godsend. The ultimate tool to have built into a digital mixer to help fend off feedback in even the most difficult venues. I don't think, given the price that the Behringer units are going for, there is a reason for anybody not to be using a digital mixer.

Hopefully it's landed me a few more deps too ;)

Edited by EBS_freak