Why become a member? ×

Anyone else play with a HIGH B?

mimsy89

Since I started playing bass I've always played a 5 string tuned with a higher string rather than a lower string

Moved over from playing guitar (ew) so its always been tuned E A D G B (if standard) instead of a high C

Find it so much easier to have the higher chord options/tones without leaving position. Also means I can match/harmonise some of the guitar runs without shifting

Does anyone else play this way? Everyone seems confused when I hand them my bass to try

[quote name='YouMa' timestamp='1458767071' post='3010760']
I would love to try with a high b,im after a 5 string sire v7 at the mo and dont want a drainpipe at the botttom.
[/quote]

Thats one of the basses I'm using at the moment. v7 and a G&L L5500

The Sire's are great basses

If you were a guitarist then I guess I can see the logic. As a bassist then it's not something I'd do, the rest of the strings would be tuned in 4ths, then you'd have this odd major 3rd.

I play guitar too, but just mentally adjust when it comes to playing notes on the B string.

I play 6 string basses with standard tuning (High C) and switch between them and guitars all the time. I play lots of chords and write lots of stuff on guitar which I then move over to bass but I've never considered tuning the high C down to B. Maybe I'm just used to the different shapes?

[quote name='mimsy89' timestamp='1458803316' post='3010942']
Keep having to talk myself out of buying a 6er...
[/quote]

A 6 string bass is an amazing instrument, it just seems to me at least, to make more sense than a 4 string bass. Try one, you may be surprised by them.