Why become a member? ×

Valve Amps

Bobthedog

I am picking up a Glockenklang Blue Rock on Saturday which has got me thinking. I have only ever played through Class D heads.

Is there a "cheap" valve amp that is worth looking at? I don't care about power as it will only be a valve intro for me. It will have to played through one or two RS 212s for the time being, however.

What do you recommend as a starter for 10?

Budgewise, I would like to keep it down to a few hundred pounds, if possible, or even less. The important thing for me, is that I get a reasonable facsimile of what a decent valve amp could sound like.

I am not worried about music genres etc, it is purely a plaything to get me hooked or otherwise.

Ampeg do a 20w one for 500ish I think which I reckon would be great for recording. Bugera/Behringer do a full tube amp though I have no idea about the quality. Other than that used would be the way I'd go.

^ Aren't those mini-mat's guitar amps? Do they still sound good for bass?

You could try this one I have for sale, as a valve starter amp: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/268722-price-drop-100w-all-valve-hand-built-bass-amp/

On a slightly less self-interested note: I had a Little Bastard once and it sounded beautiful. I had to get rid because it didn't have enough volume for gigging and rehearsal, but the sound was fabulous.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1457558686' post='2999722']
Ashdown Little Bastard or CTM30 (they're the same amp but the LB is the cool teenager and the CTM wears the grown up clothes) is what I'd look at, superb little beasts.
[/quote]

Yep, another vote here. I believe the CTM30 has now replaced the LB30 in their production line - which is a bit of a shame as the LB30 is definitely the best-looking amp I've ever owned! But if the CTM30 sounds even half as good, you'll be laughing.

(LB30 review if anyone's interested: https://thecrowfrombelow.wordpress.com/2015/08/03/gear-review-6-ashdown-little-bastard-30/ )

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1457600861' post='2999942']

Yep, another vote here. I believe the CTM30 has now replaced the LB30 in their production line - which is a bit of a shame as the LB30 is definitely the best-looking amp I've ever owned! But if the CTM30 sounds even half as good, you'll be laughing.

(LB30 review if anyone's interested: https://thecrowfrombelow.wordpress.com/2015/08/03/gear-review-6-ashdown-little-bastard-30/ )
[/quote]

They're identical under the hood. I prefer the look and form factor of the LB30 I had (it's slightly narrower), but the CTM30 I have now came up at a killer price so I jumped on it.

I am sure I have seen a recent thread on here or TB where the OP complained that the CTM had a much brighter sound than the LB. If they have the same innards, this surely would not make sense?

I have found an LB30 on Facebook that is a great price, however, it was a Jan 16 sale so ,at have gone. Until I get back to the UK, I am not going to chase anything, however. I cannot see the one on BC referred to earlier.

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1457614299' post='3000104']
I am sure I have seen a recent thread on here or TB where the OP complained that the CTM had a much brighter sound than the LB. If they have the same innards, this surely would not make sense?

I have found an LB30 on Facebook that is a great price, however, it was a Jan 16 sale so ,at have gone. Until I get back to the UK, I am not going to chase anything, however. I cannot see the one on BC referred to earlier.
[/quote]

I can only speak from personal experience, but they sound identical to me (I'll caveat that by saying it's been a few years since I owned the LB30). I read on here somewhere I think that they were the same amp reinvented - apparently the whole "B**tard" thing didn't go down that well in some circles...

They both sound excellent so I wouldn't take one person's negative comment as gospel. Try one for yourself!

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1457614788' post='3000111']
What FB page is it on? If its Ampstack then that's Oli's page (Mr.Foxen on here). Think he was looking for about £300 for his
[/quote]

Bass Gear UK

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1457615410' post='3000125']

I can only speak from personal experience, but they sound identical to me.

They both sound excellent so I wouldn't take one person's negative comment as gospel. Try one for yourself!
[/quote]
If I can get one cheap enough I will buy it anyway and resell if needed.

Edited by Bobthedog

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1457612199' post='3000081']
They're identical under the hood. I prefer the look and form factor of the LB30 I had (it's slightly narrower), but the CTM30 I have now came up at a killer price so I jumped on it.
[/quote]

Do they have the same controls then? I know the main difference on the front panels of my LB30 and CTM100 is that the former has no input gain control. I seem to remember the CTM15 I owned for all of 24 hours had one, so I wonder whether they've put one on the CTM30.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1457616263' post='3000150']

Do they have the same controls then? I know the main difference on the front panels of my LB30 and CTM100 is that the former has no input gain control. I seem to remember the CTM15 I owned for all of 24 hours had one, so I wonder whether they've put one on the CTM30.
[/quote]

Yup, the CTM is the same as the LB, no input gain.

Mark Gooday has said many a time that they are identical but they basically rereleased it as the CTM to fall in line with that range, rather than confuse people and have another valve amp name.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1457629812' post='3000420']
The words cheap" and" valve amp" don't naturally go together. Valve power stages need proper transformers - not cheap. A valve pre plus SS power may be the best way to go.
[/quote]

To me cheap is a relative term, if I can get an Ashdown LB30/CTM30 second hand for a couple of hundred that is cheap relative to a new one at £800 or the full power valve amps from £1,300 upwards. This is just an experiment and not necessarily a move to valves.