Why become a member? ×

Playing for 30 years

BobVbass

I recently saw a interview clip with Bruce Dickinson saying that in music you'll probably never make any money, so make sure that you enjoy yourself.

(The wisdom of this advice was slightly undermined by him standing in front of a 747 in Iron Maiden livery which made me want to bash his smug brains in.)

Edited by colgraff

When I was 15 I had a bet with a mate at school for a tenner that I would play Knebworth before I turned 50 , we met up a couple of years ago and are now playing double or quits up to my 60th , with a side bet on him getting an exhibition at the Tate , so I ain't giving up yet :D

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1457385625' post='2998081']
(The wisdom of this advice was slightly undermined by him standing in front of a 747 in Iron Maiden livery which made me want to bash his smug brains in.)
[/quote]

Haha

Celebrating the 50th year of my "Back To The Bars" tour.

Meaning I been playing bars for 50 years.😃

I'm 63 and lucky to still be playing rock & roll and gigging weekly.Never gotten tired of it, never been a snob. Having just as much fun as I did when I was 12.

Blue

Same here. Been playing about 30 years on and off and have achieved nothing and played with no one.

Unless you count the time I jammed with the drummer from Siam, one of the bands Tony Mills formed after Shy? Or the fact that I was invited to the party Pato Banton threw when he got to number one with Baby Come Back? Or that I met Dennis from Musical Youth?

No. I don't count them either.

I really wouldn't worry most people tend to embellish the truth slightly I think.People who made it big tended to have an element of luck on their side too.Besides if you had made it big and been on here you wouldn't have stayed long.Most big names who have come here seem to have taken offence very quickly and left😀

[quote]Most big names who have come here seem to have taken offence very quickly and left [/quote]

I've just thought of another claim to fame! I'm on the same forum as one of my heroes - Neil Murray - sorted now.

Now I just need him to post saying how great my playing is and 30 years work will all seem worthwhile :)

Literally LOL. Thanks :D

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1457387435' post='2998109']
When I was 15 I had a bet with a mate at school for a tenner that I would play Knebworth before I turned 50 , we met up a couple of years ago and are now playing double or quits up to my 60th , with a side bet on him getting an exhibition at the Tate , so I ain't giving up yet :D
[/quote]

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1457441276' post='2998548']
I've just thought of another claim to fame! I'm on the same forum as one of my heroes - Neil Murray - sorted now.

Now I just need him to post saying how great my playing is and 30 years work will all seem worthwhile :)
[/quote]

Tiny claim to fame alert!

I made Neil Murray a cup of tea once when I worked at Roland back in the late 1990s. I said something like: "You're Neil Murray, aren't you?" to which he replied: "I'm an older, fatter version of him."

I thought that was a pretty cool answer!

Edited by bassbiscuits