Why become a member? ×

Headphones: in ear / noise cancelling / noise reduction /earphones. What works for you?

I've got some Bose in ear noise cancelling. For listening to music or podcasts etc. The great thing is you can listen at lower volumes, but it's still clear, so saves your hearing. There is a low, barely audible hum when nothing is playing though, probably due to the technology, so they wouldn't be my choice for listening to music at a hifi quality with no background noise. They are great for cancelling out background noise from cars etc, so great for travelling.

Beyer DT770 tracking cans for... Well, tracking, but also sound really nice for enjoying music too. I also have a really nice set of 1964Ears V8's that are sublime for everything from music for pleasure and of course, IEM duty as well as tracking.

I like them both because they block out noise and also don't bleed my noise. It's a win-win for the household ha ha!

I've got some Sennheiser headphones (can't find my model in their current catalogue, I'm afraid), and can definitely vouch for the company. Having tried a few pairs of theirs in the past, I can happily say that you get good quality, and a decent price for the product.

That being said, I don't really do any mixing or mastering, so I can't comment on that front.

Edited by probablypike

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1457264803' post='2996792']
I use a pair of Phil Jones Bass over ear headphones. I am quite impressed with them.
[/quote]

I liked mine but they felt a bit too loose on my head, and eventually the left one stopped working. I thought it was the cable but it wasn't... :(
I ended up with Audio Technica TH-M50X... they fit my head much better and I really like their sound after breaking them in.

I seem to collect headphones and have spent silly money in the search for "the pair". These are the current ones:

Sennheiser HD600: great sound quality but ever so slightly down on bringing the music alive. Open back so only for home use.
Shure SRH 1540: my current favourites and best mix of sound. Good studio quality. Closed back and just a little warm to wear.
PJB H-850: Not bad but do not match the first two for sound. Feel a bit flimsy compared to the above.
Shure 535 (in ear): superb in ear noise isolation headphone and great for portability. A little fiddly to wear, not as "studio" as the Shure and not comfortable for extended wear.
Bose Quiet Comfort 25: good for "pop" music but great noise cancellation, comfortable with great battery life and my airplane headphones.
Etymotic ER4s. My first pair of "high end" in ear noise isolation earphones. Pretty lively sound but with limited bass balance and cannot get comfortable with them for more than 30 mins wear.

I would love to try some good Grado next but am currently refusing to spend more money on this daft quest :-)

For Bass practice (if I ever use headphones) i have some cheap Goldring DR 50's. For music from Hi-Fi I have some AKG K550 closed backs and some Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro open backed. For everything else, Laptop, tablet etc, I have some AKG Y50's (these are [i]real nice[/i] headphones for the price). Not a fan of in ear phones. :facepalm:

Another one for Beyer DT 770 Pro 80 Ohms over ears, excellent sound quality, great bass response, closed back so they dont leak and block out most sounds.

In ears i just got some Musical Fidelity EB 33, sound quality is amazing especially considering the price, and if you get them to sit properly in you lugs then the bass response is excellent but not overpowering

http://www.johnlewis.com/sony-mdr-ex650-in-ear-headphones-with-mic-remote-brass/p1525292?sku=233586621&kpid=233586621&s_kenid=aee7d2ff-6f37-4036-9943-7c43bd91142c&s_kwcid=402x350886&tmad=c&tmcampid=73
Sony for iPod.
http://www.andertons.co.uk/closed-back/pid26102/cid724/shure-srh940-studio-reference-headphones-ii.asp
Shure for hifi, recording and mixing.

I've had a set of Bose Quiet Comfort 2 headphones for a while now and have found them to be great for planes, trains and automobiles etc.. That said, they're the chunkier ones and I now wish I'd bought the lighter version (which I think they've since discontinued).

Recently bought a set of Sennheiser IE80 in-ear headphones, which I can't recommend highly enough - fabulous sound overall with a rich warm bass and whilst they're not noise cancelling keep out a fair bit of external noise. They were £169 from Richer Sounds which, whilst still expensive for a set of in-ears (IMO), was a bit of a bargain..

Earphones: The Sennheiser CX range (with noise cancelling) are all good. Don't buy the one's you see in a supermarket - Ever. You can tell these apart because have a thicker, more durable cable, and a better jack plug.

Headphones: I've had my Beyerdynamic DT100's forever. I use them for recording, and rough mixes. Never use headphones for serious mixing - get a proper set of nearfield speakers.