Why become a member? ×

ROTOSOUND ADVICE

grandad

I once bought a set of 5 Rotosound flatwounds from a local store. They were the only flatwound 5s they stocked. I fitted them and the G string snapped when getting it up to tension, so I took the strings back.

1 month or so later I eventually got an answer from Rotosound - they gave me a replacement G string. That was it; after a month of waiting for some kind of response. I'd have expected that if they'd allowed the shop to change it on the day, or within a week. But a month?

Then, when fitted, the tension was so great it was like playing on fence-wires.

Never again.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1456986411' post='2994185']
I once bought a set of 5 Rotosound flatwounds from a local store. They were the only flatwound 5s they stocked. I fitted them and the G string snapped when getting it up to tension, so I took the strings back.

1 month or so later I eventually got an answer from Rotosound - they gave me a replacement G string. That was it; after a month of waiting for some kind of response. I'd have expected that if they'd allowed the shop to change it on the day, or within a week. But a month?

Then, when fitted, the tension was so great it was like playing on fence-wires.

Never again.
[/quote]

That was unfortunate & a poor experience sticks in the mind. I can only reiterate my own recent experience with Rotosound that there customer service is 1st class. They are in the UK & therefore just a phone call away. I exchanged emails, took measurements & recieved spot on advice.

I use flats on my 5 medium & shortscale basses & have 4 different string makes each quite different in tone & tension from quite bright, almost zingy, to fairly dull. The Jazz77 seem to me to occupy the middle-ground for both tension & tone which is why I chose them for restringing my Viola & my Mustang.

My Tokai SG I think has LaBella & is very warm & bassy with lowish tension. My Aria I'm pretty sure has Chromes which are very bright with a high tension. Both sets are what they came with & I don't change flats as long as I'm happy with the tone, the tension & the feel.

I've used Tru bass on a Jazz & they sounded very good. I tried D'Addario tapewound on the Tokai & the Aria & both lacked any definition. Incidently the Aria, medium scale, needed long scale strings with the D'Addario. It can be tricky getting the correct length string. Both the Viola & Mustang are short scale but need medium scale strings. The Mustang is through body stringing & the near 90 degree bend through the body isn't kind to some makes.

It's a bit of a minefield with much conflicting opinion but that probably just reflects different tastes. I like to sit in the mix rather than cutting through the mix.

A discussion on string preference is akin to asking which make of tea-bag is best.

Grandad, I can't agree more. My favourite make is Elixir. I like the non-zingyness of them. The trouble with finding strings we like, for most of us at least, is we buy some random make because we have some unexplainable affinity to the sound of the name, or by some other reputation or something, and we try them out. If we like them; great. If we don't like them we generally put up with them for a bit, because we don't have the spare cash to simply write off £30+/- and dump the offending strings.

OK, we can try to sell them on BC, but it's all a lottery, especially when you start getting into stringA sounds great on a P-bass, but not what I want from the MM or Jazz, etc.,.

I've tried various makes of string over the last 35+ years but always end up back with Rotosound.

Never had a problem with them.

Yeah, you can pay an extra £15 or £20 for a set of strings and they might sound a little bit better, but not £20 better. :)

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1456959790' post='2994131']
I can't be the only one with a good word to say about Rotosounds!
[/quote]

Def not, I love them. My only gripe is I wish the life on them was longer, but I`ve tried loads of other strings and none get "that" tone. My fave strings underhand are D`Addario Pro-Steels, but they just don`t have the aggressiveness that Rotos have, and which I need. For me, just about the cheapest, but also the best sounding.

Rotosound are great to deal with, and Nigel Clutterbuck is a lovely chap, though his playing seems to cause as many arguments as the strings, but I've never liked their Rotosound strings, I want to, but I don't like the feel or the sound, or the fact they tend to last me two gigs.

I bought 3 sets of these on eebuygumbay at a price that i havent seen repeated again. They seem to be hovering around the £13 area, but i grabbed 3 packs @ £7 per pack.

Must have been some kinda clearout. Never saw them again

[IMG]http://i64.tinypic.com/8yxnig.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rotosound-Roto-Bass-Yellow-4-String-Set-RB-40-40-60-80-100-Made-in-the-UK-/231454896878?hash=item35e3c972ee:g:9GIAAOSw1vlUuQ7u

me too, I love rotosound strings. I use roto yellow 10s on all my guitars and swing bass rs66 on my basses, except my hofner which has la bella deep talking bass. I used to work in a music shop anf always found the rotosound team great. Anybody remember the Spacer strings. Different coloured silks and a black anodised finish, so they said,

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1458061935' post='3004327']
This is getting like the Talk bass clubs...

I once bought a set. Can I have a number? Please, mister, please? :)

It's good to hear you all got good service. I wish you all well.
[/quote]

When I use rounds, I use Rotobass 40s. Great value, good sounding strings. Now though, I use only flats, and my experience of 34" RS77s was awful. No tone, massive tension.Chromes are way more elastic, and of course TIs even more so.
So, Rounds = Rotosound, Flats = just about anything else.

Some varied & often contrasting views being expressed here. With bass strings being relatively expensive it's a purchase where we don't want to make the wrong choice. This, I suspect, is why we often stick with a brand we know rather than risk a faux par.

Found this: [url="http://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/bass-guitar-buying-guide/how-to-choose-the-right-strings-for-your-bass-guitar"]http://thehub.musici...our-bass-guitar[/url]

Anyway, I've been using Yorkshire tea-bags for some time now though if Tetley are on special offer I'll go with them. Both are full-bodied with a robust flavour.

Edited by grandad