Why become a member? ×

Do you have to use chorus on fretless basses?

jazzyvee

Not disagreeing. But up to now the relief in the neck was flat. That's to say the nect was straight, with almost no relief. Now I've relaxed it to more "normal" measurements and it still has mwahh, but to a less "in your face" level.

I agree I need to play it more and get more technique.

A contributing factor here is I don't generally play normal bass lines. The day-job stops me being able to be in a band because by the time I get home and finish all the admin it's often gone 9:00. So my playing is mostly while sight-reading. I know, many here would be horrified, but I enjoy it. So this probably makes me more aware of the mwahh on every note as I play; not just on slides and stuff.

I'll keep at it. It's a cool bass.

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1456523534' post='2990109']
Well, just finished our set and one song used very heavily accentuated mwahs with chorus... most people`s reaction was positive...
[/quote]

Aye, that's generally the case.

In my acoustic band, (Piano, some guitars, a thing called an Emerald Amicus 12, and me on bass) I use fretless.
It lets me do the lyrical sort of 'motifs'. It generally goes down very well indeed.

"Do more of that sort of thing" generally encourages you onwards.

I'll be honest though, everything I do is a very poor man's pastiche of what I imagine J*** might have done had he but 1% of his talent.

I'll no excuse this at all.

If you like stacks of chorus on a fretless, use stacks of chorus. Dont worry about what others say. Its their personal taste and has no relevance to what anyone else likes, unless you have to follow everyone else's taste

If you dont like chorus on fretless, dont use chorus. Dont worry about what others... etc etc see above

Simple

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1456622301' post='2990921']
If you like stacks of chorus on a fretless, use stacks of chorus. Dont worry about what others say. Its their personal taste and has no relevance to what anyone else likes, unless you have to follow everyone else's taste

If you dont like chorus on fretless, dont use chorus. Dont worry about what others... etc etc see above

Simple
[/quote]

In fact, don't even worry about Fleabag's advice .

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1456521514' post='2990091']
Yes, certain things about the setup of the instrument will make so-called mwaah more noticeable but it's in your fingers really and it's possible to 'play it straight' on a fretless and it will still sound and feel different to a fretted instrument.
[/quote]
It's my life - by Talk Talk is probably a good example of this I reckon