Why become a member? ×

Epic blues numbers

Dropzone

Ed Friedland's "Blues Bass" (Hal Leonard series) covers many of the standard numbers and includes some playing advice. I found it useful when I needed a quick "refresh". For inspiration I would go back to the original "electric" blues from the Sun and Chess labels, and especially Muddy Waters who seems to have performed or covered all the standards at one time or another. Blues compilation CDs cost next to nothing if you do not use Spotify.

Cheers guys. Clutch were mention as I like them the few times I have seen them. I was of the opinion as we are starting out we need to hit the obvious targets and do them well. The popular choice so far by those in the band who know more are Up jumped the devil, Strange face of love, born under a bad sign, this life and wicked stone. To be honest none of which I know at the moment but tomorrow will be a different day.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1456322605' post='2987811']
Explain yourself, boy! :D
What is meant by heavy blues?
Firstly, I suggest you keep all your numbers to under 4 minutes and keep your guitarist on a very short lead.
Your average punter and particularly ladies get pretty pi$$ed off with widdly merchants going on and on (bit like I do when I post on here).
The big boys of this so called blues world - SRV, EC, Bonapratta, Gary Bore, Walter Trout and the like - got / get away with it coz they've a name and can / could fill big venues.
The rest of us haven't and can't.
So be very careful with your choice of set if you intend playing in public and want to make some money.
Just saying, having played in blooze bands for far too long. :D
[/quote]

Thank you for these wise words, made me realise what our guitarist has been leading us towards.
[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1456349420' post='2988240']
+1 for Walter Trout, Rory Gallagher , SRV, Mountain, Johnny Wynter and John Mayall etc and some of this..

Stan Webb (Chicken Shack) Poor boy. We used to do this years ago and the intro is an attention grabber if it's tight and loud. The crowd would go from background conversation buzz to [size=5]WTF[/size] in 10 seconds.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58JZ05qlGk"]https://www.youtube....h?v=U58JZ05qlGk[/url]
[/quote]

CHICKEN SHACK!!!!!!!

I'm late to the party, but WT massive F? I should be getting some sleep but not bloody likely, working my way through their youtube entries.
Thank you so much for pointing them out to me. More than a few numbers are going in to our set.