Why become a member? ×

Sticky Neck 1982 JV Squier

Pestie

Hello BC,ers

I have an excellent 1982 1st series JV Precision. My problem is, the neck feels sticky and when things get warm I find it a bit difficult to play.

Is there anything I can do about this? I don't want to sand the neck & oil it because that will take away something from the bass.

Any Ideas?

thanks

Mike (Pestie) :rolleyes:

When I played an Ashbory bass with sticky 'rubberband' strings I used unscented talc on my hands before playing. If the problem with your bass is caused by sweaty hands on the gloss finish it might be worth trying this - don't get it on your shoes or shirt though or people might think you're being paid too much.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1456055892' post='2984849']
As above ,1200 grit paper will do it without ruining the neck.
[/quote]

I use this approach, there is science behind this, something like the lacquer on your neck is so smooth you get a build up of moisture between your hand and the neck, by roughing the neck up very slightly that moisture is dissipated into the tiny scratches you have created and hence the "stickiness is gone, you can always polish the neck back up in the future should you wish to make it sticky again

I had a similar problem on my 2003 MM Stingray. Played fine for a while then felt sticky. I tried everything to clean it but talc was the only thing that worked (although only as a temporary fix).

So I bit the bullet and it's now away with Jon Shuker having a refinish in tinted gloss.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1456051446' post='2984766']
Treat yourself to a pack of micro mesh sheets. You can then rub down with a very fine grade one , that won't leave any visible scratches but will leave a super silky smooth surface.
[/quote]
[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1456055892' post='2984849']
As above ,1200 grit paper will do it without ruining the neck.
[/quote]

1200 grade (usually about the finest grade wet and dry you will find in DIY shops) will satinize the gloss 12000 grade micromesh sheet will polish and remove fine scratches that are invisible to naked eye - i bought a set of micro mesh cloths from amazon recently, excellent investment for a tenner :)

In halfords you can buy a set of sanding pads in grey, green and red of various grits. In the body work aisle IIRC. These work great for jobs such as this. Use the finest one and run over the back of the neck. If you want it to go back to gloss in the future, a high-grade wet 'n dry and a polish will bring the shine back.

I had to do this to my '83 JV, if it makes you feel better. 😊