Why become a member? ×

Bass player from The Vamps

hiram.k.hackenbacker

....was using what appeared to be a Music Man Stingray 4H on Ant & Dec's Takeaway show tonight, but it was in a black and white Fodera yin-yang type paint job with front facing LED's.

I'm sure that can't have been manufactured by Ernie Ball, as I know from recent experience that they "don't do custom spec".

Im sure there isn't any protection regarding the yin-yang symbol, but I wonder how Fodera feel about it?

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1456000951' post='2984500']
....was using what appeared to be a Music Man Stingray 4H on Ant & Dec's Takeaway show tonight, but it was in a black and white Fodera yin-yang type paint job with front facing LED's.

I'm sure that can't have been manufactured by Ernie Ball, as I know from recent experience that they "don't do custom spec".

Im sure there isn't any protection regarding the yin-yang symbol, but I wonder how Fodera feel about it?
[/quote]

They do do custom spec. You just need to be known enough to get it done. A Wilhelm screams bass player has a custom one which he got recently and he told me the story behind it.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1456018928' post='2984621']
They do do custom spec. You just need to be known enough to get it done. A Wilhelm screams bass player has a custom one which he got recently and he told me the story behind it.
[/quote]
Sounds interesting. Can you share that with us?

I read recently that while Ibanez don't do custom specs for Joe Public they have a small luthiers & workshop operation in California solely for their endorsees.

Maybe its a similar thing with Music Man?

Although I doubt this Vamps guy has an endorsement, I can't imagine boy band members shift that many units. ( no disrespect to boy bands).

Edited by Cato

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1456048379' post='2984719']
Although I doubt this Vamps guy has an endorsement, I can't imagine boy band members shift that many units. ( no disrespect to boy bands).
[/quote]

Why not? He was playing a Stingray on ITV's prime time Saturday night Flagship show, that's got to be worth a lot of advertising to Musicman, whoever's playing it.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1456052791' post='2984791']
I think the Stingray with the yin-yang finish is much nicer looking than the Fodera.
[/quote]
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, but I have a Fodera Yin-Yang Standard and four Stingrays. I have also had other Stingrays that I have moved on.
None of the them are anywhere near the quality and playability of my Fodera. Still love the 'Ray, but a Fodera they ain't.

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1456050988' post='2984759']
Why not? He was playing a Stingray on ITV's prime time Saturday night Flagship show, that's got to be worth a lot of advertising to Musicman, whoever's playing it.
[/quote]
I think it looks more like a Fodera and very much less like a Stingray as a result of the paint job. Now we know the origin, I would think Martin Sims would probably get more out it than EB.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1456059249' post='2984916']

Is that a Warwick? It's certainly a different take on it. I can't decide whether I like it or not.
[/quote]

Yeah it's a Warwick Thumb. It does kinda leave me feeling torn too if I'm honest. On the one hand it is a truly beautiful work of art that demonstrates the pinnacle of the Luthier's craft. On the other hand I'd rather be seen stage wearing a bubblegum pink, high gloss PVC gimp suit than to be seen playing this down my local pub.

The Stingray looks great.

EBMM do custom jobs but only for the likes of Tony Levin and other artists. They've done some nice ones for Randy Jackson in the past (including an HH Sterling with white pick up covers - only available to mere mortals for the single H type Sterling and Stingray pick up, or SR5 single H with a white pick guard)

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1456098864' post='2985449']
The Stingray looks great.

EBMM do custom jobs but only for the likes of Tony Levin and other artists. They've done some nice ones for Randy Jackson in the past (including an HH Sterling with white pick up covers - only available to mere mortals for the single H type Sterling and Stingray pick up, or SR5 single H with a white pick guard)
[/quote]
Agreed and hats off to whoever's idea it was. The white LED's are just perfect for it. Little too blingy for my taste, but absolutely right for that bass and it's owner.

I've recently come around to the idea that I might like to try a Sterling. There's a lovely looking BFR on eBay right now for ~£2.5k, but it's a bit too far away from me to go and try it.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1456100246' post='2985464']
There's a lovely looking BFR on eBay right now for ~£2.5k, but it's a bit too far away from me to go and try it.
[/quote]

eBay BFR Sterling [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262296272734?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]here[/url].

Another BFR that looks very similar, but with a maple fretboard [url="http://www.basscentral.com/pdimages/2014/BLOWUPS%202014/MUSICMANSTERLING4HBFRTRAWALNUTQUILT21246.html"]here[/url]. Almost the same price, but in $'s!

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1456100246' post='2985464']

Agreed and hats off to whoever's idea it was. The white LED's are just perfect for it. Little too blingy for my taste, but absolutely right for that bass and it's owner.

I've recently come around to the idea that I might like to try a Sterling. There's a lovely looking BFR on eBay right now for ~£2.5k, but it's a bit too far away from me to go and try it.
[/quote]

Yeah the BFR Sterlings are nice, but a little pricy.