Why become a member? ×

Tolerating the intolerable

Nicko

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1456475964' post='2989322']
Yeah, it's lost in translation .
Th o p has probably left this thread . Shame
[/quote]

No I'm still following. I read an interesting book on chaos theory once (whats not to enjoy?) and this is kind of the butterfly effect in forum form.

My dissertation was on non linear dynamical (it's every bit as sexy as it sounds!). At the time there was some academic interest in the way gossip spreads but no one had managed to find a mathematical model which could be a useful predictor of conversational patterns.

Edited by colgraff

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1456522425' post='2990099']
My dissertation was on non linear dynamical (it's every bit as sexy as it sounds!). At the time there was some academic interest in the way gossip spreads but no one had managed to find a mathematical model which could be a useful predictor of conversational patterns.
[/quote]
Surely that will be a Mandelbrot fractal? Eventually the pattern will repeat and Blue will explain why the Beatles changed the world.

Edited by Nicko

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1456522425' post='2990099']
[/quote]

Ooh, look, a butterfly !

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1456586430' post='2990525']
Surely that will be a Mandelbrot fractal? Eventually the pattern will repeat and Blue will explain why the Beatles changed the world.
[/quote]

Just to be even more pedantic than usual, the point of the Mandelbrot Set, Julia Set, etc. is that they never repeat. They are examples of infinite non-repeating lines contained within finite space.

In the unlikely event that anyone is intrigued by this concept, read up on the Hilbert Curve. It is a reasonably straightforward example.

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1456663170' post='2991122']
Just to be even more pedantic than usual, the point of the Mandelbrot Set, Julia Set, etc. is that they never repeat. They are examples of infinite non-repeating lines contained within finite space.

In the unlikely event that anyone is intrigued by this concept, read up on the Hilbert Curve. It is a reasonably straightforward example.
[/quote]

I stayed in Hilbert's Hotel and I am certain it was situated somewhere on Hilbert's Curve. They said they had no vacancies but we stayed anyway.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1456666160' post='2991143']
I stayed in Hilbert's Hotel and I am certain it was situated somewhere on Hilbert's Curve. They said they had no vacancies but we stayed anyway.
[/quote]

... but you can never leave..! :D

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1456672052' post='2991227']

It makes no difference whether you leave or not. The hotel still has no vacancies and guests are still welcome.
[/quote]

But they do make you change room quite a lot. 😉

Almost as often as this thread changes topic. Perhaps we have a Hilbert thread, one which contains an infinite number of topics within a finite thread.

Edited by colgraff