Why become a member? ×

If only I was right handed

BassHertz

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1455748115' post='2982166']
Looks familiar. Are there a few noughts missing off the price?
[/quote]

You must be thinking of this...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TENNESSEE-15-STRING-EXTENDED-RANGE-BASS-/291674941903?hash=item43e92e69cf:g:bJwAAOxycgVTixwQ

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1455827588' post='2982839']
Who was the famous bassist who when asked about playing a 5-string, said something along the lines of 'you shouldn't play a 5-string until you've mastered a 4-string' how long does that take? 'About 30 years'. Just wondering how old you'd have to be to play this beast.
[/quote]

Billy Sheehan. And I think it was 20 years (yay), but I could be wrong. :)

Edit... my OCD drove me to find the quote, I think it's actually someone's sig on here.

[b]Questioner: How come you never play a 5 or 6 stringer Billy?[/b]
[b]Billy Sheehan: "I dont need one, I have my hipshot for lower notes, and I can go to harmonics for higher notes"[/b]
[b]Questioner: "do you own any"?[/b]
[b]Billy Sheehan: " yes I have two or three, though rarely use them outside an ocassional studio set piece" [/b]
[b]"I dont like to use them unless I really have to, as when a guy takes a 5 or 6 string bass into the studio, you see the engineers and producers, sighing and shaking their heads" :) (Smiles)[/b]
[b]Billy Sheehan: " I have nothing whatseover against 5 or 6 string basses. I just belive that guys dont give themselves a proper chance on the 4 stringer first."[/b]
[b]Questioner: How long is 'a proper chance'? [/b]
[b]Billy Sheehan: " At least 20 years" (not smiling here, being serious)[/b]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1455831151' post='2982884']
Billy Sheehan. And I think it was 20 years (yay), but I could be wrong. :)

Edit... my OCD drove me to find the quote, I think it's actually someone's sig on here.

Questioner: How come you never play a 5 or 6 stringer Billy?
Billy Sheehan: "I dont need one, I have my hipshot for lower notes, and I can go to harmonics for higher notes"
Questioner: "do you own any"?
Billy Sheehan: " yes I have two or three, though rarely use them outside an ocassional studio set piece"
"I dont like to use them unless I really have to, as when a guy takes a 5 or 6 string bass into the studio, you see the engineers and producers, sighing and shaking their heads" :) (Smiles)
Billy Sheehan: " I have nothing whatseover against 5 or 6 string basses. I just belive that guys dont give themselves a proper chance on the 4 stringer first."
Questioner: How long is 'a proper chance'?
Billy Sheehan: " At least 20 years" (not smiling here, being serious)
[/quote]

It is or was someone's sig here. I can't remember who though.

I did about 10 years on four strings before moving to 5s. Does that make me 50% of a Billy Sheehan?

That notwithstanding, his comment seems to imply that >4 string players are somehow defective / lesser players because they haven't bothered to learn how to use a four string properly. In my case this is undoubtedly true - I use a five string so I don't have to work too hard when a song is suddenly played in a different key. Why bother to learn how to change key on a four string to accommodate a singer's preference when I can just go down a string?