Why become a member? ×

Pedals for slap

giblett123

Morning all!

A quick question about using pedals for slap....... First up, I don't slap, I wish i could and I am working on it (it's like pulling teeth)! As a result of my appalling technique I'll often get the lower string ringing away when I don't want them. I know that good technique will sort this and I am on it! A friend suggested using a gate pedal to help "lose" the noise? Any suggestions? Recommendations? Or is the just insane?

Obviously i'll keep woodshedding until I get there but as curious and hoped some folks knew about this stuff!

Cheers
Chris.

You shouldn't need a noise gate, if you have excess noise issues it's best to try and work out where they are coming from and fix the problem there.

Pedals often used for slap are EQ to scoop the mids, compressor/limiter to tame the peaks, and a filter to add funk. The best filter I've ever played for slap is the MXR Bass Envelope Filter.

Practice your technique first. Then the best pedal for slap is a tuner with a mute function. :yarr:

Only messing. The best pedals for slap are filter & delay (once you've got your technique down) & maybe an EQ if you need to boost the lows & scoop some mids.

As said before, no pedal will compensate for dodgy technique. Slap is as much about muting as it is about thumping and popping the strings. Also try practicing some rudimentary drum patterns like paradiddles (use your hands to tap on your legs) to get the left and right hands working alternately.

Good slap bass is about clean technique with the slapping hand and very nuanced technique with the fretting hand. I think the fretting hand is much more responsible for making it sound tasteful and funky to be honest. Getting it pumping right is all about getting the notes the right length, mute notes, voicing with hammering/pulling/glissing and so on.

And you just have to be rhythmically creative, like an MC or a DJ. It's like developing a whole new vocabulary on the bass really, and bear in mind you'll be spending all that time developing a skill you'll very rarely use, so it had better be something you're happy to do just as a personal passion.

I guess it's a bit like learning Japanese.