Why become a member? ×

2 X VANDERKLEY EXT112 OR BERG CN212????

fatwull

Okay, there are these 2 options for sale on here and i am selling my amp and cab, amp is sold, eden WT550, and the eden cab 4x10 xst is on evilbay so hoping it goes.
I like these 2 options but not sure, i only jam with my mates which include drums, keyboard and guitar, my current setup was no good to transport out of the house so looking for something i can take with me, he has a hartke a100 kickback which sounds ok but gets drowned out easy. I also play in the house along with most kinds of music. No gigging as work overseas 6 months of the year.
Also will obviously need an amp to go with witch ever option i go for. I have a Dingwall super J passive bass also which has 4 good tone selections, has a good precision sound on the front pick up and the back pickup sounded a bit flat with the eden.
Will have up to 500 quid for an amp.

Thanks in advance

HELP..!! :o

Swings and roundabouts , depends on what sound you like really ! I had a couple of vans didn't like the sound myself so moved them on but I love my barefaced cabs and would never be without one or even two . Bergs I can't comment on them shame you can't try them out and decide what sound You like for yourself
😄

Edited by kevvo66

Two fine choices. I tried both bergantino and vanderkley when I bought my berg 112s. Nothing wrong with the vanderkley a, I just preferred the sound of the bergs. Or rather, the absence of sound - I thought they were more neutral and didn't colour the sound in any way, allowing my bass/effects/tone settings to come through cleanly.

I use a genz shuttle 6 amp and it works well with the berg cabs - I've also used them with an Ampeg solid state amp and they sounded brilliant.

That said, I love the convenience of 2x112 cabs. One in each hand or, more often, just one needed. Given your choices I'd go for the vans for convenience but if that's not an issue, I'd plump for the bergs.

Either way, It's a nice choice to have and i really don't think there's a wrong answer....

Edited by Skinnyman

I have an EXT112 and a Streamliner 600 (can't justify a second cab as I don't do live work any more but would if I could in a heartbeat). ! can't comment on the other option but the EXT is a superb piece of kit that suits the sound I want to make perfectly, and also has the benefit for me of being really, really light to carry around.

I have the 112MNT which I can't fault - to paraphrase Lozz, [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]the [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Berg CN212 would[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] have to be pretty good to beat them.[/font][/color]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1454156030' post='2967000']
Do you ever get down to London? You can have a listen to my CN212 and Aguilar TH500.
[/quote]

Unfortunately not Chris, too far for me, would cost the same as a cab to get there and back :D Judging by everyone's comments, these cabs are close to the best there are out there. Just have to decide which and then amp next, was thinking of a markbass little mark 3 but there are a couple of mesa M6 carbines also. Sometimes there are too many good things to choose from and the child in a sweet shop kicks in...

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1454162230' post='2967082']
Not heard the Vans, but they`d have to be pretty good to beat the Berg CN212. That is a darn fine cab.
[/quote]
[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1454164061' post='2967109']
I have the 112MNT which I can't fault - to paraphrase Lozz, [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]the [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Berg CN212 would[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] have to be pretty good to beat them.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

So, 2 great cabs then, you two will have to meet up and compare... :drinks:

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1454146145' post='2966839']
I have an EXT112 and a Streamliner 600 (can't justify a second cab as I don't do live work any more but would if I could in a heartbeat). ! can't comment on the other option but the EXT is a superb piece of kit that suits the sound I want to make perfectly, and also has the benefit for me of being really, really light to carry around.
[/quote]

Is one cab loud enough to jam with a full band?

[quote name='fatwull' timestamp='1454168311' post='2967181']
So, 2 great cabs then, you two will have to meet up and compare... :drinks:
[/quote]

Lozz and I play different styles/equipment and have different tastes in music so it's unlikely that we'd agree....but of course I'm right ;) ;)

[quote name='fatwull' timestamp='1454168371' post='2967182']

[/quote]

Oh yes. I use one in small pub gigs and rehearsals and the two for bigger venues (pubs and clubs). Never go more than 50% on the master volume in either situation with the genz600. I'd imagine it's the same for the vanderkleys

This is the first time I see someone referring to the 112EXT as colouring the sound. Reportedly it's even more neutral and detailed than a 112MNT (but with lower wattage), which already is a very neutral, detailed cab.
The CN212 too is reported to be quite neutral and detailed though, so maybe there is something to this notion - though my knees are jerks and say this must be due to the amp/cab combination more than the cabs alone.

Though: as far as I remember, the 112EXT is an effective cab, and the Shuttle is a class D with low damping factor. AFAIK there's no reason to expect these to be a bad combination, so I'm slightly bewildered.

If you can't try them, then I'd go for the one that fits your price bracket and carrying needs. Reportedly, they're both stellar, whatever else may be true about them.

[quote name='fatwull' timestamp='1454168371' post='2967182']
[/quote]

Doubtful IMHO (although it does seem to punch well above it's weight and will certainly produce enough SPL for a small space - and of course it will depend on what you'll be asking of it). 2 x EXT112 is the recommended setup with the Streamliner 600, and should be as loud as you'll ever need. As I said though, I don't gig any more so the single cab is plenty for what I need; but if that situation were to change I'd certainly look to get a second cab.

Edited by leftybassman392

• 2 weeks later...