Why become a member? ×

Drummer damaged my bass..

Rusco

Perhaps in future your band should adopt the rule that when songs are being discussed or the band is having a break then no-one plays. Apart from the fact that it must be impossible to speak when the drummer insists on clattering away at his kit.

There is something incredibly wrong about taking things out on musical instruments, never got the Who/Nirvana/Muse etc breaking of guitars either. And especially not out of spite.... boooooooohhh.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1453204584' post='2957325']
Speaking of damaged Stingrays, I picked this up a few years ago from a lad who explained that he had upset his then missus who had taken it out on his bass. Doesn't look too bad from the front...

but it looks like she tried a Simonon special from the back. She also scratched "Thank you!" into what was left of the paint on the back. I didn't ask what she was so thanful for ;)

It's a great player though and the neck survived intact, so no real harm done. I've thought about having it refinished but it brings a smile to my face thinkong about what the guy did to get that reaction. It's part of the charm of that instrument, now. There isn't another Stingray quite like it.

To be honest, I find it quit funny that a drummer could travel three feet across a floor by drumming alone to damage your bass. It's a story for a few laughs over a beer in the future.
[/quote]

Becoming progressively more amused at the number of people advocating various forms of physical aggression or bodily intrusion, despite having been told that the drummer in question was a PT Instructor in the armed forces.

We seem to have some very serious keyboard warriors here ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1453210616' post='2957410']
Becoming progressively more amused at the number of people advocating various forms of physical aggression or bodily intrusion, despite having been told that the drummer in question was a PT Instructor in the armed forces. We seem to have some very serious keyboard warriors here.
[/quote]

Quite. I hate keyboard players. To the OP... if you're going to use a bass it's going to get worn and damaged one way or another. What gets me is that this damage was totally unnecessary. I'd be pretty annoyed too, but I bet the drummer would have annoyed me one way or another anyway, by now. He sounds like an arse.

Becoming progressively more amused at the number of people advocating various forms of physical aggression or bodily intrusion, despite having been told that the drummer in question was a PT Instructor in the armed forces.

[/quote]

And there was me thinking I was being lighthearted rather than serious. Guess I'm not sufficiently adept with emoticons.

If I was responsible for damaging someone else's property I'd be offering to pay for the repair as well as apologising. Both immediately. But that's just me. I accept 100% that accidents happen but his attitude is wrong. He seems to think that anything anyone brings to a rehearsal or gig can be damaged with impunity.

If it was me in your shoes and he'd been humble and apologetic I'd have let him off because genuine accidents aren't worth falling out over when the offending party does the decent thing. But he's been an inconsiderate arse. Hand him the repair bill.

[/quote]

To the OP- go for the 'nads. A swift size 9 delivered by surprise should put him right.

👍

I once had a drummer knock over a Fender bass that I had on a stand at the side of his kit - pretty much as usual.
It went over with a sickening CRACK.
This was at a wedding function and we were setting up in the afternoon with only a DJ in the otherwise empty ballroom.
What I shouted can't be repeated here.
The drummer just got up from behind his kit and walked off, avoiding eye contact, saying nothing about what he had done.
Fortunately the bass landed flat on its strings and (uncannily, bearing mind how loudly it landed, unplugged) was undamaged.
It was my first real indication of what an utter c*** he was going to be.
I didn't go home because it was someone's wedding.
I would later find myself dismantling my rig at half time in a Labour club while the others sat in the other room. Awful people.

I would suggest the original poster gets a quote for the repair / partial refinish for the drummer to peruse.

Edited by 12stringbassist