Why become a member? ×

Stupid bass breakage

AntLockyer

I was sat in my studio practicing. Plugged into an amp on the other side of the desk I never use. For distracted doing something else for 5 minutes then got up to put the bass away. If I Was plugged into my normal amp and lead I could have got all the way across. Lesson learned and no wood damage.

The wife heard me from the house though and came to investigate. "That's not your 62 is it? A newer one so replaceable."

Smart girl, but also tells me she has no idea what basses I own apart from one mwahaha

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1450476128' post='2933287']
If you're worried about that, wrap the amp end around the handle of your cab before it goes into the amp.
[/quote]

... and pull your lightweight cab over (or pull the handle off..!). Go wireless..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1450476239' post='2933290']

... and pull your lightweight cab over (or pull the handle off..!). Go wireless..?
[/quote]
If someone's [i]that[/i] clumsy, perhaps they should invest in one of those padded helmets with the little propeller on top?!

When I first started playing in a band I decided it was a good idea to make a lead that could be screwed into place. There was a collet thing on the plug that screwed onto a nut that was threaded on the outside as well as in that you replaced the nut on your jack socket with. But the lead guitarist in that band had the nasty habit of standing on peoples' leads (though never his own...) and he particularly liked to stand right in front of my amp... I soon learned that that arrangement was a silly idea!

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1450476239' post='2933290']

[/quote]

...and stick a tuner pedal between your bass and your amp head (and thread it through the cab handle)...

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1450479808' post='2933327']
...and stick a tuner pedal between your bass and your amp head (and thread it through the cab handle)...
[/quote]
Good idea :) - I need to do this.

Also, commiserations to AntLockyer :/

Edited by alyctes

Sort of related.... Not long ago I leaned my bass up the passenger side of the car while I loaded my amp etc in the boot.....and forgot about the bass. I finally remembered 30 miles later on the A38 near Burton on Trent, and after an insanely fast drive back, found it in the car park where it had slid off the car as I drove off. It's a Valenti jazz, and I have never been so close to crying, crapping my pants, throwing up and passing out through fear at the same time in my life.. The bass gods were in a good mood that day....

Did that with my first bass - was playing sitting down and didn't notice that the lead was under my foot. Stood up and yanked the cord. Unfortunately because the jack is directly mounted in the face of the body, I ended up with a loose jack socket and cracked lacquer. Could have been worse. Never been that daft since!