Why become a member? ×

Baron Moa (CamdenRob) - Demo Tracks

CamdenRob

[b]*Since posting this I am no longer involved in this project, I'd just like to wish them all the best :) I'm very proud of the tracks we've put out and have enjoyed working with some excellent musicians :)[/b]

Couple of tracks from the first demo of my new project :) Baron Moa...

Bandcamp link to the four tracks for free download :)

[url="https://baronmoa.bandcamp.com/releases"]https://baronmoa.bandcamp.com/releases[/url]

DI straight from my Wal to the desk, no eq and some sort of compressor they've added in the mix.

We've also hashed together some basic videos to get the tracks up on youtube.

Some random Camden shots for this first one

[media]http://youtu.be/IRze_el2GJg[/media]

And singists disembodied head for the second...

[media]http://youtu.be/UG6BS486KRU[/media]

Hopefully gigging by the summer :)

Edited by CamdenRob

Some cool bass sounds there.

I think sub 3 minutes is short for a song especially one that has so much commercial potential. I like the vocal melody, some interesting choices. Some of the lyrics I might have heard elsewhere recently though, the bit about the dress on the floor.

The second song is probably less interesting but with wider appeal perhaps. I think the disco style drums makes it sound very familiar and you'll get a bunch of listeners.

Good luck.

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1450430957' post='2932653']
Some cool bass sounds there.

I think sub 3 minutes is short for a song especially one that has so much commercial potential. I like the vocal melody, some interesting choices. Some of the lyrics I might have heard elsewhere recently though, the bit about the dress on the floor.

The second song is probably less interesting but with wider appeal perhaps. I think the disco style drums makes it sound very familiar and you'll get a bunch of listeners.

Good luck.
[/quote]

Thanks for taking the time to listen and post a few comments :) it's much appreciated.

I didn't realise how short the songs were until we tracked them in the studio... The other two we did in the session are a bit longer (but not by much), but yes it's definitely something we'll look at going forward.

Lyrics aren't my depertment I steer well clear of that!

This is a new project and we're very much still finding our feet, only been going a few months. Hopefully things will work out and we can get enough material together to get out there gigging soon as possible :)

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='Urban Bassman' timestamp='1450432066' post='2932671']
I liked them both - congrats.

You now have to keep us updated with all the news and when more material will be available!
[/quote]

Thanks very much, appreciate you taking a listen :)

I'm hoping they will cobble something together for youtube for the other two tracks we did, as I actually thought they were our strongest two.

I think they are planning on doing a bandcamp type thing for the whole demo, I'll post a link when it's all up and running :)

I gave 'em both a listen, and didn't regret it. Although comments are not specifically requested, I'd offer a couple of remarks, if I may. Firstly the less good; get that out of the way..? The bass sounds more towards the sub frequencies, which, even listening with a decent headset, makes it somewhat indistinct. Excessively busy in the first track; much more restrained for the second; an improvement. Not overly enchanted with the snare, either, which I'd qualify as 'clanky'; character, certainly, but not the best choice for the songs, I felt.
That's all for the panning, all the rest is praise and encouragement. Clean recording, quality composition aided by 'open' arrangements, very competent and authoritative vocals; an altogether solid formation with all the elements reunited. It would not be difficult to extend the 'live' versions of both to a bit longer than the 'FM Airplay' studio versions without abusing of the audience. If there are other performances, either 'in the can' or in progress, they'll have to be pretty darned good, as the bar here is high indeed. This is the starting point..? It could go far. A quality product of which all can be rightly proud. Well done, all.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1450431570' post='2932665']
I didn't realise how short the songs were until we tracked them in the studio... The other two we did in the session are a bit longer (but not by much), but yes it's definitely something we'll look at going forward.

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with short songs, remember it's quality over quantity in my book! (also some of the big name radio stations don't like to play songs longer than 3 minutes, that is something to keep in mind too)

Edited by Old_Ben

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1450433499' post='2932693']
I gave 'em both a listen, and didn't regret it. Although comments are not specifically requested, I'd offer a couple of remarks, if I may. Firstly the less good; get that out of the way..? The bass sounds more towards the sub frequencies, which, even listening with a decent headset, makes it somewhat indistinct. Excessively busy in the first track; much more restrained for the second; an improvement. Not overly enchanted with the snare, either, which I'd qualify as 'clanky'; character, certainly, but not the best choice for the songs, I felt.
That's all for the panning, all the rest is praise and encouragement. Clean recording, quality composition aided by 'open' arrangements, very competent and authoritative vocals; an altogether solid formation with all the elements reunited. It would not be difficult to extend the 'live' versions of both to a bit longer than the 'FM Airplay' studio versions without abusing of the audience. If there are other performances, either 'in the can' or in progress, they'll have to be pretty darned good, as the bar here is high indeed. This is the starting point..? It could go far. A quality product of which all can be rightly proud. Well done, all.
[/quote]

Thanks Dad, quality assessment as ever... :)

Your two comments are the exact two comments our drummer made upon hearing the tracks for the first time. I think with the snare we suffered from a poor source sound, the next recording effort we'll take a bit more time I exepct, this first attempt was a "do it all in a day" job.

The bass comment also mirrors the first thing our drummer said about the mix. The compression has filled it out but it's lost a bit of definition in the process...

it's all a learning curve and the purpose of the recording was really to see what we need to address before doing a full bore recording next year sometime.

Edited by CamdenRob

When presented with other peoples recordings I usually listen to about ten seconds' worth. I listened to both these tracks all the way through, so there you go. :)

Good recordings that need more time spent on them to sound great, but you know that already. Maybe add a bit more air overall in the top end. Love the bass sounds (they'd better be good, really) though if being super-picky I'd say a little more punch wouldn't hurt. But you know that, too.

Good playing overall, you've kept a bit of restraint - but I'd go further down that road if possible and deliberately strip it back even more; this will open up the sound and arrangements and make it all much easier to deal with. Less is more for sure.

Really good effort though, everyone sounds like they're on it. Look forward to the next. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1450435399' post='2932722']
I'm just passing by but damn, that first 1 track is catchy as hell!
I'd quite happily listen to an albums worth of this sort of stuff! :happy:
[/quote]

Kind words thank you :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1450435586' post='2932728']
When presented with other peoples recordings I usually listen to about ten seconds' worth. I listened to both these tracks all the way through, so there you go. :)

Good recordings that need more time spent on them to sound great, but you know that already. Maybe add a bit more air overall in the top end. Love the bass sounds (they'd better be good, really) though if being super-picky I'd say a little more punch wouldn't hurt. But you know that, too.

Good playing overall, you've kept a bit of restraint - but I'd go further down that road if possible and deliberately strip it back even more; this will open up the sound and arrangements and make it all much easier to deal with. Less is more for sure.

Really good effort though, everyone sounds like they're on it. Look forward to the next. :)
[/quote]

As with everyone else who's posted, I really appreciate you've taken the time to listen and comment :)

The bass definitely needs a bit more punch and i do need to lay back a bit on the "busyness" as dad also touched on. This is my first experience of playing in a three piece and I can be a little over zelous as there is so much space for me to do so. I'm trying to strike a balance of interesting parts and holding the groove. I think over time as we write more songs we'll naturally tend towards the kind of material that works best for us, ie. the more stripped back stuff.

I'm fairly pleased with it as a starting point... I think we'll learn alot from the process of getting these tracks down and really listening to them as to how to push things forward.

The two tracks we havent put out yet are a bit heavier so I'll be interested to see how they compare.

Appreciate your comments :)

Thanks guys :)

We've already learnt quite a lot from the various feedback we've had, which was the point of putting this stuff out there really :) feedback is great as it can help you to think about things from a perspective you haven't looked at before and also its reassuring to hear people come out with the same criticisms we have ourselves.

Heading into the studio again March time to spend a bit more time on fewer tracks and go for something polished to put out there and see what people think.

Personally I'm tempted to go for one track recorded and mixed properly, then spend some money on a decent video...

Love both of these! Very nice tracks, Rob.

Singer has a great voice. The bassist... well, it sounds like he needs to upgrade from that cheap Squier or whatever it is he's playing and get some proper gear ;)

But in all seriousness, it sounds great. The bass is perfectly clear on my earbuds, but it could be that the compressor is hitting a bit too hard and not letting some of the individual notes ring out on the first track (it's currently more "burbling" than "punchy", but sounds nice nonetheless).

Be interested to hear more of this.

• 1 month later...