Why become a member? ×

Fender, JV/SQ Squier, MIJ/CIJ Experts - HELP!!!

Bassassin

Just got a delightful (if a little mucky) SQ serial Squier Precision, 83/84, great original condition - but it's arrived with the scratchplate shattered. :)

The rest of it looks like this:

Anyroad up, simple question, what, if any, replacement scratchplate will be an identical/exact fit?

And wouldn't it look lovely with a Tort? :brow:

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

My god that is beautiful
very gorgeous grain on that body, i love the old squires they are great, i am in the middle of giving my jv jazz a makeover, fantastic quality, you owe it to yourself to put a nice tortie plate on that, congrats on a great purchase.
all the best- lee

Just got a delightful (if a little mucky) SQ serial Squier Precision, 83/84, great original condition - but it's arrived with the scratchplate shattered. :)

The rest of it looks like this:

Anyroad up, simple question, what, if any, replacement scratchplate will be an identical/exact fit?

Jon

Edited by lee650

I found it extremely difficult to get a direct replacement guard for my JV Precision - I tried a WD one, another one I found online, I tried my USA pickguard on it and none of them fitted. The only options as I could see were to try and find a JV guard or go to someone like Sims and get one made up - I looked into this option, but it was about £56 if memory serves me correctly.

With 3TS/Rosewood, I like brown tort

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='281500' date='Sep 10 2008, 10:55 PM']Superglue!

I think that these basses suit all types of plate - white, black or tortie - I'd try and repair the white one, then buy a couple of others! Sims will be able to duplicate the plate for you etc.

Nick[/quote]

It'll be getting superglued tomorrow! :)

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='281563' date='Sep 11 2008, 12:28 AM']It'll be getting superglued tomorrow! :)

J.[/quote]

Nice one! I wish I'd still got all my old Squiers - at one point I had two s/burst JV '62 P's, a fiesta red Jazz and a 3 tone s/burst Jazz! Only have one now, a fiesta red JV `57 re-issue, signed by all the Shadows bass players except for Mark Griffiths.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='281396' date='Sep 10 2008, 08:48 PM']Just got a delightful (if a little mucky) SQ serial Squier Precision, 83/84, great original condition - but it's arrived with the scratchplate shattered. :)

Jon.[/quote]

Welcome to the Fag Burn club (got one on my P).

Tort belongs on tortoises.

Hey Bassassin,

My 'Custom' :) Precision has a custom cut scratchplate. I sent the whole bass in with an uncut piece of pickguard from a supplier and my luthier (Richie Thomson, Wigan) cut the new scratchplate by tracing the old one. It was very cheap and its great quality:

You can get pickguard blanks from allsorts of places:

Basspartsresource: [url="http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/pickguard_material.htm"]http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/pickguard_material.htm[/url]

Thomann: [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/misc_guitar_pickguards_acc.html"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/misc_guitar_pickguards_acc.html[/url]

And more...

Get them to trace your glued guard, bevel the edges and drill the correctly counter-sunk screw holes.

I just realised I'm nailed and its late. Goodnight.

Cheers for all the suggestions - getting one made (or having a go myself) is a last resort, really, I'm hopeful that the hole pattern for SQs will turn out to be standard - but it seems no-one knows, not even the people on the JV forum. But they're all g*it*rists anyway. :)

J.