Why become a member? ×

Bass Chorus - Your Favourite?

AinsleyWalker

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1448876583' post='2918694']
Can I ask what sort of music (other than GnR tributes) you guys are using Chorus on? Any examples?
[/quote]
I run my Chorus in stereo into a Mr. Black Eterna Gold and a TC Flashback delay for some spacey ambient sounds - I get my inspiration from a YT'er called Andy Othling for some wacky space ambience

Can I ask what sort of music (other than GnR tributes) you guys are using Chorus on? Any examples?
[/quote]

Bands like Warpaint use a soft chorus on bass, as do Tool in a more prominent way, as they do with a lot of effects on bass. For me, I wanted it for spacey ambient playing. Bands like Rage against the Machine used modulation on bass in a heavy way, it's just all about what sounds good to you I guess!

[/quote]

Since I got mine I've been playing a lot of stuff by The Cure. It sounds so much better now I'm using chorus! Not sure if Simon Gallup actually uses chorus, but it sounds brilliant on A Forest and Fascination Street!

it's odd, but I've been playing bass about 25 years, and for about 22 of those years I HATED chorus on bass, or at least, I thought I did!

I still don't like a lot of movement in my chorus, but a nice bit of chorus with low depth and speed sounds great to my ears now on an otherwise clean bass part. I also like using it after fuzz and with octaves for a synth sound. I used to think phasers were the best modulation effects, then flange, and then chorus. It's the total opposite now, many years later!

EDIT to say that IMO chorus is one of the easiest effects to get a terrible sound out of, if you don't know what you're doing!

A good example to my ears for chorus in a modern, non-1980's setting is the bass player from Death From Above. His distorted bass tone has a great chorus-ey vibe to it. I [i]think[/i] he uses an old Ibanez pedal?

Edited by GazWills

[/quote]

I use mine for the quiet arpeggio bit in Iron Maiden's [i]22 Accacia Avenue[/i], that's about it for live stuff. I use it more when I'm playing at home (mostly on fretless), but it's nice to have it on the board just in case something pops up on a dep gig.

Edited by paul_5

Might have to play about with the chorus on my amp simulator. My only experience with chorus was buying a new microphone from ADK in Nashville. I went straight to my friends studio to show off my toy, we plugged it into his desk, and he played acoustic guitar through it. it was the most glorious sounding acoustic guitar recording I'd ever heard, I couldn't believe what the mic had pulled out of the guitar. Then I noticed the send pot up, "what's on send one?" yup it had a touch of chorus on it and it made a massive difference.

If I ever have to record acoustic guitar it will have a smidge of chorus that's for sure.

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1449003345' post='2920046']
I still don't like a lot of movement in my chorus, but a nice bit of chorus with low depth and speed sounds great to my ears now on an otherwise clean bass part. I also like using it after fuzz and with octaves for a synth sound.
[/quote]
I usually dial mine in for just a smidgen of wobble, not too much, but enough that you can hear it with the reverb and delay on - makes a massive difference to the decay tails.

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1449003345' post='2920046']
EDIT to say that IMO chorus is one of the easiest effects to get a terrible sound out of, if you don't know what you're doing!

A good example to my ears for chorus in a modern, non-1980's setting is the bass player from Death From Above. His distorted bass tone has a great chorus-ey vibe to it. I [i]think[/i] he uses an old Ibanez pedal?
[/quote]
Have to agree - took me a long while to get it just right. Was on the verge of giving up on it but after adding the reverb and delay pedals after it and a POG before it, makes a lot more sense now :)

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1449044910' post='2920262']
Might have to play about with the chorus on my amp simulator. My only experience with chorus was buying a new microphone from ADK in Nashville. I went straight to my friends studio to show off my toy, we plugged it into his desk, and he played acoustic guitar through it. it was the most glorious sounding acoustic guitar recording I'd ever heard, I couldn't believe what the mic had pulled out of the guitar. Then I noticed the send pot up, "what's on send one?" yup it had a touch of chorus on it and it made a massive difference.

If I ever have to record acoustic guitar it will have a smidge of chorus that's for sure.
[/quote]
That's an interesting use - hadn't considered using it on acoustic. I'll have to suggest that to the lady who plays acoustic with us at church.

Ian

Edited by Bottle

The best chorus sound I've ever had on my bass was from an MXR Pitch Transposer.

This was a digital device in a 2U rack format with another 1U for the display (which showed you what degree of pitch shift was being applied).

I recorded in a studio in the early 80s that had one and it made by bass sound enormous without losing any of the bottom end.

I have a feeling though, that the sound was due to limitations in the technology of the time rather than anything intentional on the part of the manufacturers of the unit. With the pitch shift set to zero the tracking of the unit simply wasn't stable or accurate enough to give a unison effect and instead it produced a massive, rich and thick chorus-like sound.

Edited by BigRedX

Guest FretNoMore

Here's an example (not mine ) of chorus/detune as part of a synth bass sound, chorus added at 5:15 or thereabouts

http://youtu.be/b8qq3eCq8vw

I say this with the full disclaimer that I was looking to add some cheesy '80s style chorus (think Pino, or John Giblin on [i]Hounds of Love[/i] album) to my fretless, but I've been quite pleased with the Joyo Analog Chorus. Quite a bright and airy one (not as dark as, say, the Boss Bass Chorus), with a good passive bypass. Also quite inexpensive, which was nice!

[quote name='Rikki_Sixx' timestamp='1448962208' post='2919522']
Since I got mine I've been playing a lot of stuff by The Cure. It sounds so much better now I'm using chorus! Not sure if Simon Gallup actually uses chorus, but it sounds brilliant on A Forest and Fascination Street!
[/quote]

IIRC the 'chorus' sound on the early Cure albums (e.g. Seventeen Seconds, Faith) is actually a Boss BF-2 flanger (which is a FANTASTIC pedal, btw).