Why become a member? ×

Chambered/ thinline bass players question

Dazed

I'm thinking along the lines of Rick Turner / Rob Allen or similar.

Do they have any acoustic volume. Purely for solo practice purposes. Compared to a solid bodied bass is there any increase in tonal volume , not the unamplified finger noise?
I'm
Not looking for an acoustic by the way.

Thanks if you can offer an opinion, as I can't find one of these to try you see.

Acoustic volume on my Mouse is about the same as a regular solid body. I had an RT Ren 5 which was somewhat louder, due to being fully hollow. My old Hofner Senator, also fully hollow, was a little bit louder than the Ren. Strings also make a difference, LaBella nylons are pretty quiet acoustically for example. If your practicing to a backing track of some sort, even at very low volume all of these would really need some sort of amplification.

Edited by ikay

Agreed, most recently I've had an Epiphone Jack Casady and yes it's a bit louder acoustically than a solid body and for some solo practice it's good enough to hear the notes if you can't be bothered hooking up your amp, but that's about it. You won't hear much above anything else going on.

Thanks folks. As I said it isn't for use with other instruments so I won't be competing for volume.
It's more for convenience and being able to practice on the road. Or beach. Or mountain.

I have a double bass. That's far from convenient :lol:

My principal bass is a Hofner Verithin, which is quite loud enough for solo, unplugged practise, without unduly disturbing folks in the vicinity (although, the day I bought it, I took it out to play whilst on the way home on the cross-channel ferry, and was asked to 'turn it down'..! Maybe more a reflection on my prowess, or lack of, of course..! :blush: ).
I also use a Vox Amplug, with a headset; very easy to cart about and very good for 'play anywhere' situations. The batteries (I use rechargeables...) last several weeks.