Why become a member? ×

Drive pedal Shootout (7 pedals for starters)

Bass Pedal Geek

I gathered my drive pedals for a comparison. So far, that would be 7 pedals, but I plan to add more pedals to this shootout as I get my hands on more drive, distortion and fuzz pedals in the future

Just for fun, I threw in a poll. Please do give the pedals a listen before voting and let us know which one you voted for - and why!

I am aware that the drive range of these pedals are very different, so I tried to work by these guidelines. There are 4 samples in each of the 5 rounds (except for round 4): subtle, medium, heavy and max. Max is 100% full-on and in many cases this is way over the top, but figured many wanted to know the outer extreme, so I guess you could say that the range from "subtle" to "heavy" is the usable range (in my very subjective view, of course).

[url="http://bass-pedals.com/big-drive-shootout/"]BIG Drive Pedal Shootout[/url]

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1445024935' post='2888319']
Great stuff. To me, the two Darkglass ones were the best, and the B3K just pipped it. Disappointments were the Blueberry and the TC.

I'd love to hear a Cog Knightfall in this test
[/quote]

That Cog Knightfall looks intereting. Will try to get a hold of one. (But no promises ;-)

Edited by Bass Pedal Geek

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1445176521' post='2889281']
The Microtubes wins it for me across the levels of dirt but I was pleasantly surprised at the sound of the EHX at low gain levels and how well the Spark Boost added a nice depth, although again only at low drive.
[/quote]

The EHX also surprised me when I started comparing. But as you mention, only at the low setting. It easily becomes too much, but just for some gentle grit, it sounds very nice.

I'm gonna go against the grain a little and say I actually thought the Darkglass pedals actually lost a fair bit of the weight, heft and punch of the dry tone (have to agree with others here though that these are some very sexy clean tones) and on the last 'Jaco-ish' section I'd even go so far as to say I thought they sounded really quite boxey.
Personally I loved that the Tech 21 pedals seemed to accentuate the heft and punch being the grit - but then I'm a big fan of the Ampeg sound so I guess my preference is to be expected.

Just to add to Bass Pedal Geek that I'm loving the site you've put together - great resource and nicely and simply laid out!

Edited by Painy

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1445776504' post='2894015']
I'm gonna go against the grain a little and say I actually thought the Darkglass pedals actually lost a fair bit of the weight, heft and punch of the dry tone (have to agree with others here though that these are some very sexy clean tones) and on the last 'Jaco-ish' section I'd even go so far as to say I thought they sounded really quite boxey.
[/quote]

I was underwhelmed by the B3K but it looks like we're in the minority!

Out of interest, does anyone know if you can get a similar sound as the Spark Boost with the mini version?

Guest FretNoMore

Great job!

I know I'm in the minority but I really don't like the tone of Darkglass pedals.
Of those on your list I choose the VT Bass DI.
The Bearfoot Blueberry is my current favourite though.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1445779816' post='2894064']

[/quote]

[quote name='FretNoMore' timestamp='1445931135' post='2895406']

I know I'm in the minority but I really don't like the tone of Darkglass pedals.
[/quote]

Vive la Resistance!!! :P

Edited by Painy

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1445779816' post='2894064']
[/quote]
[quote name='FretNoMore' timestamp='1445931135' post='2895406']
[/quote]
[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1445986718' post='2896030']
Vive la Resistance!!! :P
[/quote]

Me too! Strangely the best sounding pedal to me from these examples is the Darkglass VMT, which I HATED when I owned it! And don't even get me started on the B3K... Yuk!

I couldn't pick a favourite from any of those I'm afraid. I'll stick to my Ashdown J-Lo as it's the best subtle drive I've used.

Edited by Bigwan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FretNoMore

[quote name='Bass Pedal Geek' timestamp='1446753041' post='2902141']
Sorry for having been out of the conversation for so long. I do love the Darkglass pedals a lot (especially the B3K), but I totally respect different opinions and tonal taste. Tone preference is always a subjective matter I guess, which is a good thing in my view. Long live diversity! :-)
[/quote]

Pedals don't make sounds on their own, so to speak, they are used in combination with other gear and without knowing what bass, amp, pedals, speakers etc are involved you can't really judge opinions. A dirt pedal may sound quite different depending on all that other stuff. Which makes it necessary to try yourself, and go down that rabbit hole of searching for "the tone". :)

Edited by FretNoMore

[quote name='FretNoMore' timestamp='1446792509' post='2902337']
Pedals don't make sounds on their own, so to speak, they are used in combination with other gear and without knowing what bass, amp, pedals, speakers etc are involved you can't really judge opinions. A dirt pedal may sound quite different depending on all that other stuff. Which makes it necessary to try yourself, and go down that rabbit hole of searching for "the tone". :)
[/quote]

Abslutely agree. For that same reason, the shootouts i do are not intended to be the truth in any way. Just to give a rough idea about a certain pedals core sound. Also for that reason, I re-fx the exact same recording and run it through each pedal, so it is the same take, bass, strings, cables, fingers, etc. that you hear in each round. At least these elements are consistent, but you are absoutely right that the pedals may well sound totally different in someone elses hands, setup, etc. :-)

[quote name='elephantgrey' timestamp='1446828833' post='2902766']
It would be nice to hear a few clips of different combinations of them in series. In particular I'd like to hear the b3k/b7k into bddi.
[/quote]

Could be fun! I have borh pedals at the moment so will try to combine these at some point. Better try B3K -> BDDI as well as the other way around... :-)