Why become a member? ×

Line 6 Helix.

fretmeister

On 11/12/2017 at 09:29, LewisK1975 said:

Out of interest, what cases are you guys preferring for the Helix / LT?

I'd like one with a detachable lid ideally, any recommendations?

I saw the one on Thomann when I did a quick google...  https://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_case_line6_helix_lt.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA9rjRBRAeEiwA2SV4ZTKjBgPqyGkj8QgWo49Fyptbwrt_kfRWuc1Byux-rzAf-w1u-TZNYxoCkVoQAvD_BwE

I wanted to fit a few extra pedals and stuff in so I bought one of these:

http://www.spider-engineering.co.uk/industry/product.asp?item=spider-guitar-effects-pedal-board-flight-case-extra-large-7628-4748

7628_1_z.jpg

It's heavy but bloody brilliant!

• Thanks 1

I also meant to say that you can leave LT in the case. or there's a ply pedal board that lifts out. I've fixed my LT and pedals to the ply using the bicycle chain method and the whole thing stays in the case all the time. I lift the lid off and I am ready to go!

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2017 at 17:33, Kebabkid said:

As a guitarist first and foremost and bassist second, I'm wondering whether an LT is the way to go to serve both my needs. An Aguilar bass amp is something I'd love  and so to find one in here with the latest update and having people here who've owned the "real thing" before saying it's convincing is a great endorsement.

Forgive me, as the thread is so many pages in and I haven't read all of it, can I ask are there any guitarist/bassists here that are using the unit for both and if so, what's your choice of speaker (QSC, Yamaha) to handle both jobbies for gigs? For just the bassists, what's been the popular choice of speaker with these?

I keep finding it hard to find the most up to date list of bass amps and fx. Any handy links to these?

Cheers

'm using a Yamaha DXR10 for both and am finding it very good. As with most at that price point it has a fan which can be a little annoying if playing when watching the TV

I'm halfway wondering whether to upgrade to the Barefaced FR800 but I want to try that with guitar first. At some point I'll have to arrange a trip to BF and take my Helix with me to find out.

On 11/12/2017 at 09:29, LewisK1975 said:

Out of interest, what cases are you guys preferring for the Helix / LT?

I'd like one with a detachable lid ideally, any recommendations?

I saw the one on Thomann when I did a quick google...  https://www.thomann.de/gb/thon_case_line6_helix_lt.htm?glp=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA9rjRBRAeEiwA2SV4ZTKjBgPqyGkj8QgWo49Fyptbwrt_kfRWuc1Byux-rzAf-w1u-TZNYxoCkVoQAvD_BwE

I've got a fusion bag. It was originally designed for a Dj controller but fits the helix like a glove. Its got so many cool extras like a zip in/out laptop bag, headphones bag, endless pockets etc. Build quality is exceptional too. Doesn't have a lift off lid but there's a few dj controller cases out there that do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charic said:

Mine arrived yesterday, it sounds amazing out of the box so I can't wait to get fiddling with the settings!

12 minutes ago, dood said:

YAY!

Yay indeed! It's a fantastic piece of kit.  I'm now trying to decide which of my separate pedals / boards to keep/sell, still feel the need to keep a small pedal board for those gigs where floor space is a premium!

As a treat to myself, I'm thinking of getting a Helix LT and using that as an excuse to sell the mountain of gear i've accumulated over the years.  The only thing that's slightly nagging me is that I've had a Kemper rack before & sold it because i found it a bit of a chore to program and i ended up using only a couple of sounds (i'm no technophobe - in fact pretty much the opposite).  I'm trying to migrate the rest of our band towards a quieter backline and/or IEMs and let our PA do most of the work - the drummer is already on a Jobecky e-kit and one of the guitarists is swaying towards a Helix style arrangement.  I already run an IEM setup and would quite happily ditch my backline if i can prove a point.

Might be a daft question but could i run my bass and one of the guitars through the LT at the same time to demonstrate how a quieter backline may work (and to show the other valve amp obsessed guitarist that he doesn't need to run his Vox AC30 at full chat to get 'his' tone !!)

Also, any more issues with the LT expression pedal breaking ? - i read a bit about a duff batch of LT's having broken pedals but i assume that's all fixed now ?

41 minutes ago, intime-nick said:

Might be a daft question but could i run my bass and one of the guitars through the LT at the same time to demonstrate how a quieter backline may work (and to show the other valve amp obsessed guitarist that he doesn't need to run his Vox AC30 at full chat to get 'his' tone !!)

Also, any more issues with the LT expression pedal breaking ? - i read a bit about a duff batch of LT's having broken pedals but i assume that's all fixed now ?

As a valve-amp-obsessed guitarist (as well as Class-D-using bassist), I would be happy for you to demonstrate the LT, before returning to my 12W valve combo (or 15W for bigger gigs). Never underestimate the conservatism (small c) of guitarists compared to bass players!

3 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

As a valve-amp-obsessed guitarist (as well as Class-D-using bassist), I would be happy for you to demonstrate the LT, before returning to my 12W valve combo (or 15W for bigger gigs). Never underestimate the conservatism (small c) of guitarists compared to bass players!

believe me, i don't underestimate it one bit (although I do question a lot of the rationale behind it) - it's an ongoing discussion we have regarding why we need a 100W 4x12 on one side and a very loud AC30 head into a 2x12 on the other....if they played 12/15W combos there would be no discussion and i wouldn't have to play the volume game with my BF Super Twin

• Like 1

You can run 2 instruments - use the main input for one and the Aux in (full fat) or a Loop return (LT) for the other.

Then Just set Path A for 1 instrument, and Path B for the other and keep them completely separate. Just remember to also set the outputs separately as well so they go to different board channels. 

If neither path is stereo then just split left and right on the XLRs. If, for example the bass is mono but the guitar is stereo then use the 1/4 outputs for 1, and the XLRs for the other

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

You can run 2 instruments - use the main input for one and the Aux in (full fat) or a Loop return (LT) for the other.

Then Just set Path A for 1 instrument, and Path B for the other and keep them completely separate. Just remember to also set the outputs separately as well so they go to different board channels. 

If neither path is stereo then just split left and right on the XLRs. If, for example the bass is mono but the guitar is stereo then use the 1/4 outputs for 1, and the XLRs for the other

thanks for the info - much appreciated

4 hours ago, LewisK1975 said:

Yay indeed! It's a fantastic piece of kit.  I'm now trying to decide which of my separate pedals / boards to keep/sell, still feel the need to keep a small pedal board for those gigs where floor space is a premium!

My current plan is to keep:

1) Dunlop Wah (prefer the action)
2) Digitech Whammy (bloody expensive, was a Xmas present and it has far more functionality than that offered by the Helix).
3) TC Tuner (always handy)
4) Fishman Pre-Amp (keeping for acoustic and double bass. It is also a handy little backup for standard basses)
5) EH Big Muff (again, a Xmas pressie and kind of attached to it).

Everything else is going.

Jumping in on this one and no doubt it’s been covered. This thing is a lot of lolly. I’ve been around in circles with analogue and digital effects pedals/units. Found the zoom b3n to be pretty good but just not quite there, settled for a tech 21 bass fly rig at the moment as it just sounds organic. Is the helix another compromise? Sounds good and has bags of features but still sounds digital?

cheers

Edited by tonyclaret

40 minutes ago, tonyclaret said:

Jumping in on this one and no doubt it’s been covered. This thing is a lot of lolly. I’ve been around in circles with analogue and digital effects pedals/units. Found the zoom b3n to be pretty good but just not quite there, settled for a tech 21 bass fly rig at the moment as it just sounds organic. Is the helix another compromise? Sounds good and has bags of features but still sounds digital?

cheers

Doesn't sound digital to me. I've always steered well away from multi effects units because I always found the basic sounds poor. The Helix just sounds great and completely realistic. I wouldn't use it in conjunction with an amp but with an FRFR speaker it floors anything I've previously owned. That includes some of the most sought after rigs out there.