Why become a member? ×

Ever had a stage gimmick?

Born 2B Mild

Just remembered another couple, both strangely animal related:

1. had an inflatable pig called Percy onstage with my band called, er, Piglet Clone :)

2. had two blue monkey toys onstage with my band called, er, freaky blue monkey.

Actually, I think the band names are far more embarrassing than the gimmicks. :huh:

The closest i've come to a gimmick is wearing a plain silver very reflective shirt - it was pretty dazzling, but some c*** nicked it after the first gig :)

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='277624' date='Sep 5 2008, 09:57 AM']hoping competitions[/quote]

How do you win? Whoever gets a secret wish granted?

[quote name='cheddatom' post='280205' date='Sep 9 2008, 10:51 AM']The closest i've come to a gimmick is wearing a plain silver very reflective shirt - it was pretty dazzling, but some c*** nicked it after the first gig :)[/quote]
This guy, was he kind [url="http://bp1.blogger.com/_aj_173BZ0-c/R1c6D_3pauI/AAAAAAAAA_E/t1FRc_pzmgw/s400/Steven+032.jpg"]short[/url]?
:huh:

I was in a Blues Brothers outfit for a while and they insisted on playing almost every song from the first movie including Stand By Your Man. For some reason that I can't really remember I used to play it lying down on stage with the bass draped over me & pretending to be fast asleep - seemed funny at the time :blush:

I also played Honky Tonk Women in one band which has that rather distinctive cow bell sound (gotta have more cow bell!) - The drummer couldn't play it at the same time as the rest of the kit so I played the bell because there's no bass in the initial verses. Rather than scrabble around putting the drum stick somewhere safe for the chorus then grabbing it again for the verse I simply played all the bass parts with a full length drum stick. Pre-dated Tony Levin's funk fingers as well I think :huh:

These days I always wear some 'silly' shoes - band usually plays in all black so I have a selection of brightly coloured shoes. The obligatory electric blue suede brothel creepers, some green matt finish Doc Martins, a rather ornate set of cowboy boots etc. The blue suedies always go down well :)

We've contemplated many, but actioned few....

Personally I've just bought myself an electric blue 'Trigger' suit. Its god-awful. Looks good with white shirt and black tie though.

We always have inflatable guitars to dish out.

Things that didn't work out....
1) Using the keyboard to simulate a phone ringing prior to the last song of the set, with the singer announcing 'taxi for Coaster'. Tumbleweeds....
2) (Fortunately never used) Being in a band called Coaster, we were going to have a 'Coaster Toaster', whereby we'd put a round of bread down as the audience started clapping for an encore, and if the toast came up before they stopped then we'd play on.

Ho hum.

Back in the '90's, the band I was in decided that we should all wear these strange garish trousers that looked akin to a pair of pyjama bottoms, this stagewear lasted two gigs till a young indie band that we were playing on a bill with took the piss so we went "back to black" so to speak, lol!

And recently I have taken to putting my mascot, Floyd Pepper (from the Muppet band of course!) on top of my amp!

[quote name='coasterbass' post='280394' date='Sep 9 2008, 02:36 PM']Personally I've just bought myself an electric blue 'Trigger' suit. Its god-awful. Looks good with white shirt and black tie though.[/quote]

I COMPLETELY misread that one...

I guess it would be quite a gimmick....