Why become a member? ×

Epifani HDI Cables

BobVbass

So I may be a philistine who has no idea of sound transmission and may just about to be flamed by musical purists but.... Epifani HDI cables - just a couple of neutrik connectors and a bit of copper - $187 for 12ft lead!! :blink: Apparently gives you amazing clarity of sound and no loss for this bargain price.

I have lots of cables with neutrik connectors 30ft long and I've never noticed any problem, they cost about £30 in any music shop. Personally I don't see how the extra £100 is going to improve things - snake oil for people with more money than sense or am I missing something?

At the risk of getting told off :

[center]

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"][/size][/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"][size="1"][b][/b][/size][/size][/font][/size][/font]

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="3"]Nordost Valhalla 2 Interconnects

[size="2"]RCA & XLR[/size][/size][/font]

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="3"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="1"]HOLO:PLUG™[/size][/font][/size][/font][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="1"] Gold Plated RCA/XLR[/size][/font]

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"][b][size="3"]Valhalla 2 RCA or XLR interconnects[/size][/b][/size][/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"]0.6m pair = £5,199.99

1m pair = £5,999.99

2m pair = £7,599.99

3m pair = £9,199.99

extra per 0.5m = £800.00[/size][/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="1"]Free P&P. Free 4 day Burn in. More info [url="http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20VIDAR%20Burn%20in%20service.htm"]click here[/url][/size][/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="1"]HOLO:PLUG[/size][/font]

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"][color="#000000"][b]Valhalla 2 Analog Interconnects[/b][/color][/size][/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="1"][color="#000000"]The Valhalla 2 Interconnect consists of 10 conductors made from solid, optimized diameter 99.999999% oxygen free copper, each plated with 85 microns of silver. Its surface is highly polished and treated before a precision Dual Mono-Filament wrap is applied. A precision FEP tube is then extruded over each conductor. The ten FEP tubes are then bonded with a proprietary technique to create a tubular interconnect cable, enclosed in two layers of silver shielding. The V2 interconnect is offered with an RCA or XLR HOLO:PLUG™. [/color][/size][/font]
[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="1"][color="#000000"]V2 is extremely fast, at over 87% the speed of light. It transmits wide bandwidth signals with incredible speed and minimum phase shift. The V2 cable is state of the art, bettered only by the mighty Odin. It delivers incredible transient response and dynamic resolution so that no musical detail is lost. Each Valhalla 2 interconnect cable is hand built in the USA with HOLO:PLUG™ RCA phono plugs or gold HOLO:PLUG™ XLR connectors.[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="1"]SPECIFICATIONS
INSULATION: High purity class 1.1 extruded FEP
CONSTRUCTION: Dual Mono-Filament with two layers od silver plated sheilding
CONDUCTORS: 10 x 24 AWG solid core
MATERIAL: 85 microns of extruded silver over 99.999999% OFC solid-core.
CAPACITANCE: 17.0pF/ft
DIELECTRIC CONSTANT: 1.38
PROPAGATION DELAY: 87% speed of light
CONNECTORS: [/size][/font][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="3"][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="1"]HOLO:PLUG™[/size][/font][/size][/font][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="1"] Gold Plated RCA/XLR[/size][/font]
[url="http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20Reference%20Upgrade%20path.htm"][/url]
[b][font="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"][size="2"][url="http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Panda%20feet%20at%20High%20End%20Cable.htm"][/url][/size][/font][/b]

[url="http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20VIDAR%20Burn%20in%20service.htm"][/url] [/center]

Makes Epifani look very cheap - how can you refuse?

:)

Stuff like the Valhalla always look to me just like a marketing ploy to get people talking (and we fall for it every time) in the hope of getting people to buy other, possibly more sensibly priced, stuff from them. The Epi stuff mentioned by the OP is probably another strategy. Get them made at a sensible cost but then overprice them enough so a few more money than sense weekend warrior stock exchange worker type musos will buy the odd one and they instantly make enough profit that they only need have a handful made every year. Mugs.

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1442482535' post='2867232']
At the risk of getting told off :

[center]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][size=1][b][/b][/size][/size][/font][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Nordost Valhalla 2 Interconnects

[size=2]RCA & XLR[/size][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]HOLO:PLUG™[/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] Gold Plated RCA/XLR[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][b][size=3]Valhalla 2 RCA or XLR interconnects[/size][/b][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]0.6m pair = £5,199.99

1m pair = £5,999.99

2m pair = £7,599.99

3m pair = £9,199.99

extra per 0.5m = £800.00[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]Free P&P. Free 4 day Burn in. More info [url="http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20VIDAR%20Burn%20in%20service.htm"]click here[/url][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]HOLO:PLUG[/size][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][color=#000000][b]Valhalla 2 Analog Interconnects[/b][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1][color=#000000]The Valhalla 2 Interconnect consists of 10 conductors made from solid, optimized diameter 99.999999% oxygen free copper, each plated with 85 microns of silver. Its surface is highly polished and treated before a precision Dual Mono-Filament wrap is applied. A precision FEP tube is then extruded over each conductor. The ten FEP tubes are then bonded with a proprietary technique to create a tubular interconnect cable, enclosed in two layers of silver shielding. The V2 interconnect is offered with an RCA or XLR HOLO:PLUG™. [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1][color=#000000]V2 is extremely fast, at over 87% the speed of light. It transmits wide bandwidth signals with incredible speed and minimum phase shift. The V2 cable is state of the art, bettered only by the mighty Odin. It delivers incredible transient response and dynamic resolution so that no musical detail is lost. Each Valhalla 2 interconnect cable is hand built in the USA with HOLO:PLUG™ RCA phono plugs or gold HOLO:PLUG™ XLR connectors.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]SPECIFICATIONS
INSULATION: High purity class 1.1 extruded FEP
CONSTRUCTION: Dual Mono-Filament with two layers od silver plated sheilding
CONDUCTORS: 10 x 24 AWG solid core
MATERIAL: 85 microns of extruded silver over 99.999999% OFC solid-core.
CAPACITANCE: 17.0pF/ft
DIELECTRIC CONSTANT: 1.38
PROPAGATION DELAY: 87% speed of light
CONNECTORS: [/size][/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]HOLO:PLUG™[/size][/font][/size][/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] Gold Plated RCA/XLR[/size][/font]
[url="http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20Reference%20Upgrade%20path.htm"][/url]
[b][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=2][url="http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Panda%20feet%20at%20High%20End%20Cable.htm"][/url][/size][/font][/b]

[url="http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20VIDAR%20Burn%20in%20service.htm"][/url] [/center]

Makes Epifani look very cheap - how can you refuse?

:)
[/quote]
Ohhh I so want.........my head examining before I parted with my cash for these..... :lol:

Do we agree that decent cables do make a difference to those normally supplied with guitars, hifi, TV etc? If so I wonder what the cut off point is where the cable is no longer an improvement over the standard but just becomes a status symbol purchase?

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1442508433' post='2867467']
If so I wonder what the cut off point is where the cable is no longer an improvement over the standard but just becomes a status symbol purchase?
[/quote]

Listen to Nordost g'demmit! They make the stuff. They should know!
Here's what they say:
- "The V2 cable is state of the art, bettered only by the mighty Odin",
so if my experienced sound quality radar is correct, this means that the mighty Odin contain tons of heavy-duty lightweight balsa tree, which is documented to interline the frequency response phase shift to its very limits.

But to answer in a more serious fashion, I do not know, and from my experience it will be very hard to get [b]any[/b] group of people to agree even when they agree with your point itself.
Technical tests have had a sad tendency to quantify one parameter or very few parameters only, with limited scope, which IMO is a serious drawback, whilst groups of Hi-Fi listeners are all completely right (in their own heads) whilst at the same time all having heard something different. I'm not even talking about the Hi-Fi nuts here.
(I've told it before, but I gave up working in Hi-Fi after a large blinded test my firm organised (equipment behind thin veil plus lighting that made any view on the equipment impossible) and that of course went awry.)

Edited by BassTractor