Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

advice needed on lakland skyline 44/64 neck issues

Fitzy73

I recently bought a new lakland skyline 44/64. To me it has developed a neck twist. I am getting a bad buzzing on the d and g strings from the 3rd to 12 frets. I took it back to the shop . The guy thinks the neck is out of line. I have set up all my basses for the last 15 years and I think I know when a neck is twisted. I only got it in June. What should I do.

Very simple I think - just ask for a replacement / refund. The shop is obliged to provide you with a bass that is fit for purpose and free of defects. Don't mess around trying to get this one up to scratch, just swap it for another that is in good working order.

Edit: Just had a quick google and seen that these are pretty expensive / high-end basses. This confirms even more that you need to get the bass replaced / refunded. If you're parting with that kind of cash you have every right to expect something that plays properly.

Edited by Naetharu

so I got it back today and it totally unplayable . the action is way too high and its buzzing on all strings now . he said the neck angle was off . I am p*****d off . I have a HB deko precision bass which plays better than this bass.

Edited by Fitzy73

I bought a BG Skyline on here a few years ago and the neck was verified by 2 luthiers as being warped/twisted. Horrific buzzing problems all over, absolute hell. There are definitely some bad eggs out there, and sadly it's put me off buying blind ever again in the Lakland department at least.

[quote name='Fitzy73' timestamp='1442319517' post='2865992']
so I got it back today and it totally unplayable . the action is way too high and its buzzing on all strings now . he said the neck angle was off . I am p*****d off . I have a HB deko precision bass which plays better than this bass. i sold my tokai hardpuncher to fund this lakland , its my biggest mistake ever .
[/quote]

Really sorry to hear this mate... Hope it can get sorted soon.

[quote name='Fitzy73' timestamp='1442140513' post='2864583']
I recently bought a new lakland skyline 44/64 ... I took it back to the shop . The guy thinks the neck is out of line ...
[/quote]
In that case the shop should be refunding or replacing. It's simple.

If they won't do so then contact Lakland direct with an email.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Fitzy73' timestamp='1443537038' post='2875624']
update , I was promised a neck by lakland last week by email . but no word since . maybe there busy . I have no interest in bass anymore . I think when all this is over I will get a new Maruszczyk jake
[/quote]

Lakland necks are plekked - they should play well. If not, something is wrong. If they promised you a replacement neck, get it installed, and see how it will work out.
Stuff happens, and the M. company you quote has had issues in that department as well (which were also fixed by warranty).

[quote name='Fitzy73' timestamp='1443537038' post='2875624']
update , I was promised a neck by lakland last week by email .
[/quote]

No, absolutely not. Reject any offer of parts and demand a brand new bass or a full refund.

You're in Ireland but even if that's the south I'm pretty sure you have virtually the same Sale Of Goods law as in the UK. The shop aren't "being helpful" or "doing you a favour", they're legally obliged to do this.

You did keep the receipt, didn't you? :lol:

I developed a crack in the neck on my old Lakland 55/01 bass four years ago - following a quick email to lakland I had a brand new neck within a couple of weeks and they paid for a local luthier to fit it and set the bass up.

I was very impressed with Lakland's communications, reassurances and actions throughout. I recommend you do the same.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1443796736' post='2877807']

No, absolutely not. Reject any offer of parts and demand a brand new bass or a full refund.

You're in Ireland but even if that's the south I'm pretty sure you have virtually the same Sale Of Goods law as in the UK. The shop aren't "being helpful" or "doing you a favour", they're legally obliged to do this.

You did keep the receipt, didn't you? :lol:
[/quote]

Yes I kept the receipt. I tried to get my money back but the shop is saying the bass is fine and all guitars will have some fret buzz . Which is right but this bass is unplayable

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1443807471' post='2877928']
Manufacturing defect/unfit for purpose = full refund or replacement (under UK law, but probably European law too)
[/quote]

IIRC the first six months you have the right to a refund, after that it's a refund/repair/replacement as the retailer sees fit

[quote name='Fitzy73' timestamp='1443804211' post='2877887']

I tried to get my money back but the shop is saying the bass is fine and all guitars will have some fret buzz .
[/quote]

Think I would have split somebody at that comment. Idiots...

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1443807717' post='2877933']
IIRC the first six months you have the right to a refund, after that it's a refund/repair/replacement as the retailer sees fit
[/quote]

No, UK and Irish law seem similar - if you use it for a period of time (ie. the fault is not immediately obvious) then you're deemed to have accepted it and the seller should repair or replace (presumably if neither of these are possible then a refund would be given). If the repair/replacement isn't satisfactory then you can ask for a refund.

• 1 month later...