Why become a member? ×

We'd like to book your band...but...(song requests)

AndyTravis

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1441573659' post='2860016']
No. Tell them to book a band who play what they want to hear.
[/quote]

That is another option...

Thing is, I started our band a little over a year ago and we've been doing pretty well out of it considering the time frame.
I've done lots of the booking and arranging, sorting rehearsals and set lists.

I've relinquished some of this to other members and this gig has come via the guitarist so he's eager to have got us a gig - I'm a bit more of a realist though, and I'm a bit more jaded and cynical than some of the guys in the band.

This is typical of non musicians. They just assume because it's music and you are a musician then you can play it.

It's our job to make things that are very hard to do, look very easy. ;)

I think you just need to 'manage their expectations'.

The big problem is they have a very clear idea in their heads of what they want.
It's very unlikely that what you eventually produce will be anything like what they're thinking of.

I don't have any advice other than offering to add the tunes to the setlist but explain the funk aspect might be a problem. Then the ball is in their court.

Edited by TimR

I would say the answer is simple - just be up front and honest with them. Chances are they don't realise the work involved. Just be friendly but clear about what it would cost you in terms of extra time and effort and see if you can negotiate something. Perhaps they'll settle for a few funky songs amide your normal set or if they've really got their heart set on it they may pay for your time to do the arrangements. Either way, if you're up front and honest with them at least you all know where you stand.

[quote name='Naetharu' timestamp='1441580115' post='2860077']
I would say the answer is simple - just be up front and honest with them. Chances are they don't realise the work involved. Just be friendly but clear about what it would cost you in terms of extra time and effort and see if you can negotiate something. Perhaps they'll settle for a few funky songs amide your normal set or if they've really got their heart set on it they may pay for your time to do the arrangements. Either way, if you're up front and honest with them at least you all know where you stand.
[/quote]

Yeah, this works for me too.

That's 7 months to come up with a funky set. . . . for lots of cash. . . . and you pick the songs.

What can go wrong?

Learn some new numbers, funk up some of your existing set. They're not going to count if you played all the artists. Can your guys play in this style?

My answer would be yes, even if the gig was next month.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1441572298' post='2859997']
It's perfectly acceptable for a bride / groom to request a small handful of tunes but if you are going to do weddings you really need to have a band policy on such things. Most of the bands I've done function work with will use a booking agreement. It states that the band does what it does and will learn x many tunes for you but ultimately the band decides the bulk of what is played on the night as the customer is paying the band for their experience and ability to entertain them and their friends and family.
With my main band we would politely but firmly refer them to our booking agreement. We would flex within reason but if they insisted on us learning heaps and rewriting stuff we would calculate the cost and give them the option of accepting our revised price or looking elsewhere.
[/quote]

This. Our contract says we'll learn up to three extra tunes related to our genre (funk/soul/funky pop) for our top level package. Any more incurs a set fee per song. We'll be a bit flexible if we like the people & we figure we can use new additions for future bookings. But in the OP's case, it's a shed load of work & I'd probably suggest they booked a more suitable band.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1441563395' post='2859866']

...most people genuinely have no clue as to what 'funk' really is, and wouldn't recognise it if dressed up as Batman and buggered them with a marrow.
[/quote]

This all the way, just do what you do, they'll all be pished as well as the above. (which has just made me miss the 'like' button for the first time ever!)

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1441559305' post='2859822']
Have been approached for a wedding gig in February, all good.

But then a list of requests (not songs, but artists - do you know any...) has come through, all really different, some similar to our existing set, some we already do and some we'll be able to pick up quickly.

But the odd bit isn't the songs or artists' -

We've been asked to reinterpret them in a funk style.

While it's not hard to do, I see it as sort of re writing 25-30 songs (some of which we'll have to learn anyway)

All for our standard wedding gig fee.

Am I being unreasonable feeling like we should say normal set, normal price, reworked set - reworked price.

Or, should I slap everything in octaves and make the guitarist play everything with a wah on it - cheeky way out.
[/quote]

No, no, and NO. These people don't know what they want as they've seen you and want you to re-do the set in another style..

I'd tell them, you've seen us, and want to book us. We do what we do...or go and book someone else.